Ruger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
And today's word is Hoplophobia. What does it mean? To me it sounds like a fear of bunny rabbits with floppy ears, taken by breaking the word into hop-lop phobia. But, it really doesn't work that way. It's more like Hoplo - phobia, or a fear of guns.

Hears what Wikipedia says about it:

Hoplophobia is a pejorative[1] neologism originally coined to describe an "irrational aversion to weapons, as opposed to justified apprehension about those who may wield them."[2] It is sometimes used more generally to describe the "fear of weapons"[3][4] or the "highly salient danger of these weapons " [5] or the "fear of armed citizens".[6]​

What brought it up was that I've met a new friend on Facebook, a lady who lives in Canada and we share a lot of interests, starting out just talking about my dogs and her cats. We both enjoy vacationing and see beautiful parts of the country. Anyway... we were talking about story where a beautiful young girl got beat up, facial bones broken, just a mess because she had a girl friend. The story didn't say they were a couple, but you get the idea that somebody thought they were doing the ***** thing.

From that, she asked me about guns. I guess she'd checked out my FB profile page and somehow came to the conclusion that I like guns. :rolleyes:

Turns out she's got Hoplophobia, as my SIL diagnosed when he joined our conversation. But after looking it up to see what it means, I think he hit the nail on the head.

She was the type that thinks that if people didn't have guns then these whacko nutjob mass murders would stop. I used logic and statistics on her and that was like reading Tolstoy to a rock. I also explained that Canada has some great hunting and several Canadians do in fact, own guns.

We chatted for about 30 minutes and ending up the conversation with agreeing to disagree. I'll bet if someone someday ever invites her to go shooting with them her fear of guns will be over in a heart beat.

So, just remember. If someone calls you hoplophobic, don't get all riled up and declare you're not gay! ;) That's the other phobic word that starts with H.

I wonder who gets paid to come up with these fancy terms for fear of guns, when the old "fear of guns" said it pretty well.

So how many hoplophobic people do you know? I've got at least one in my eldest son's beautiful wife. Shes a great girl and he seems to like her too, but she's most definitely a hoplophobic.

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will probably never use the word in normal speech or writing, but thanks for the "Vocab" addition. Remember the part of the old Readers Digest magazine that was their vocab-building exercise??
Yep. That's what I was thinking about when I started it. ;)

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
As I recall, the late, great Jeff Cooper claimed responsibility for coming up with this particular term. I remember seeing it frequently in his articles. I have encountered the occasional person stricken with it, but I know of no such individual on a personal level. When I do encounter such people, it's almost always while I'm on duty. The most memorable was an older lady who struck up a conversation about gun control with me as I sat in my patrol car doing paperwork. She clearly thought I'd be on her side of the argument, no doubt conditioned by the media to think that most LEOs are for gun control. Boy, did she find out how wrong she was! I gently went about the task of pushing aside all the usual anti-gun BS the media spoon-feeds the masses, enlightening this poor, deluded lady with the truth. I could tell as she left that I'd given her much to think about.:D

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As I recall, the late, great Jeff Cooper claimed responsibility for coming up with this particular term. I remember seeing it frequently in his articles. I have encountered the occasional person stricken with it, but I know of no such individual on a personal level. When I do encounter such people, it's almost always while I'm on duty. The most memorable was an older lady who struck up a conversation about gun control with me as I sat in my patrol car doing paperwork. She clearly thought I'd be on her side of the argument, no doubt conditioned by the media to think that most LEOs are for gun control. Boy, did she find out how wrong she was! I gently went about the task of pushing aside all the usual anti-gun BS the media spoon-feeds the masses, enlightening this poor, deluded lady with the truth. I could tell as she left that I'd given her much to think about.:D
Yep, I'm pretty sure Mr. Cooper coined it. My DIL is like that. If I bring a gun into a room, she goes out and takes the kids. :eek:

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
The late, great Colonel Jeff Cooper was fond of words, enjoyed creating niche coinings related to all things firearm.

I give you the words of the man, himself:

On Hoplophobia

Another use of the Greek "hoplos" was hoplite, meaning armored warrior--still a long way from the doings of bunnies.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Thanks for your "Protect and Serve" devotion to duty, my friend. Tell me when you can what the locomotive number of that UP engine is, will you please?
AL
Why, thank YOU, Mayor Al...it's my honor to serve.:) My avatar is a photo of a DDA40X diesel-electric, #6936. The DDA40X is the longest, heaviest, and most powerful diesel-electric ever made, and all but #6936 have been retired. There are also others set up as static displays. Hope this helps!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.