Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
question:

Has anyone taken a Case activated powder measure, and turned it into a bench rest powder measure?

how easily could it be done,

I don't have a bench rest measure to reference, but I think all the parts can be purchased,

I think all I would need would be a handle to go on the drum, and some type of insert.

·
Banned
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was going to email Hornaday, because they do not list replacement handles.

I looked online and RCBS makes a replacement handle for there bench rest models, but I think I came up with a quick and simple solution.

I took everything off the case activated powder measure except the one piece of metal that lifts the drum. I'm gonna use that has the handle.

I have a micrometer insert, and have it adjusted to throw 23.5 grains for the time being, checking it with a digital scale.

I just took the lock bushing off the other part of the powder measure and threaded it on. so I can lock it down.

the reason I'm doing this is because I do not like the case activated powder measure, I have dinged up case mouths with it before.

but I intend on using this as a press mounted powder measure, hoping it will throw charges with benchrest accuracy.

So the story behind all this is, I got a Lee Powder measure kit for Christmas, and it came with a chart and all with some scoops to scoop powder charges. Its just to time consuming and tedious to scoop charges from a 1 lb can of smokeless powder. and verify the charge.

So now I'm dropping charges in a shot glass, so no smokeless powder gets thrown on the floor, and checking the charge thrown in the shot glass, on the digital scale.

the scoops from Lee are nice, but with the smokeless powder I'm using I have to add two and a half grains to the weight on the digital scale. the scoops will weigh out the charge that the chart says they'll do, but the reloading manual calls for a little bit more powder than what the scoop is pre-measured to scoop.

I would consider using the Lee Scoops again, but only if the powder I was using in conjunction with the scoop came out to a exact powder charge, for what the reloading manual called for.

it took half a hour to load 10 bullets using the lee powder measure scoop. haha.

I'm bored but not that bored.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Is it the Hornady LNL you are using?

·
Banned
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the LNL has its good and bad,

I can remove all the dies, and just deprime, 100-200 cases real quick, sometimes it does get hung up, because the primers do sometimes get stuck in the metal rod that that come out of.

I use it like a single stage press for the most part, and do one step at a time,

I'll deprime all the cases, then use a ultrasonic cleaner, then prime them, then fill the cases with smokeless powder, then seat the bullets. not all at once, but in different steps.

the other thing, is that sometimes the primer station will get hung up. so I prime one bullet at a time, only placing one primer in the slide a a time.

I got it about a year ago, and haven't reloaded a whole lot on it, but to make it less of a hassle, I just do the steps in a process, and take my time,

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have the same press and I'm not a fan of the primer system. I use a RCBS hand primer which I can use while watching TV.
The case activated powder measure gets used on all handgun rounds and works well as long as you adjust for the different lengths in brass and use the proper insert.
My rifle loads get hand measured down to a 10th of a grain for consistency.

·
Banned
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
primer system

I have the same press and I'm not a fan of the primer system. I use a RCBS hand primer which I can use while watching TV.
The case activated powder measure gets used on all handgun rounds and works well as long as you adjust for the different lengths in brass and use the proper insert.
My rifle loads get hand measured down to a 10th of a grain for consistency.
I didn't believe the primer system on mine would ever work. I called a couple times and Hornady customer service is really nice.

the trick with seating a primer, is to loosen the primer punch, you don't want it tight up against the press, just thread it in a little ways. the primer punch has to have enough room to move up and down to seat the primer.

hornady sent me a new primer slide once, and I even sanded it with fine sand paper, and it will work for about 50 primers, using the primer tube, as long as you don't fill the primer tube up completely it will work for the most part. it may be the way I have the press adjusted, but its been a while since I used the primer tube, because if one primer doesn't go in the slide I have to take all the primers out and that is why I just put one primer in the slide at a time.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I didn't believe the primer system on mine would ever work. I called a couple times and Hornady customer service is really nice.

the trick with seating a primer, is to loosen the primer punch, you don't want it tight up against the press, just thread it in a little ways. the primer punch has to have enough room to move up and down to seat the primer.

hornady sent me a new primer slide once, and I even sanded it with fine sand paper, and it will work for about 50 primers, using the primer tube, as long as you don't fill the primer tube up completely it will work for the most part. it may be the way I have the press adjusted, but its been a while since I used the primer tube, because if one primer doesn't go in the slide I have to take all the primers out and that is why I just put one primer in the slide at a time.
Don't ya just hate paying for something that's supposed to work, but doesn't.

·
Banned
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just using a small washer with the stock Allen head bolt off the drum, a bracket similar I just happened to have that's close to the stock bracket, a bolt, washer, a lock washer, and a nut on both sides of the bolt. Where I can tighten the bolt without having to thread the entire bolt through the nut, to get the bolt to tighten up, using less threads.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
just to ask,

how do you measure for your powder charges?
I use a digital scale to check/adjust my Lyman 55 to get the correct charge weight for what I'm reloading, I then load 50 cases at a time, checking the weight every 10 or so, but the Lyman never moves once set. I then double check the 50 cases for powder & then seat the bullets.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
the LNL has its good and bad,

I can remove all the dies, and just deprime, 100-200 cases real quick, sometimes it does get hung up, because the primers do sometimes get stuck in the metal rod that that come out of.

I use it like a single stage press for the most part, and do one step at a time,

I'll deprime all the cases, then use a ultrasonic cleaner, then prime them, then fill the cases with smokeless powder, then seat the bullets. not all at once, but in different steps.

the other thing, is that sometimes the primer station will get hung up. so I prime one bullet at a time, only placing one primer in the slide a a time.

I got it about a year ago, and haven't reloaded a whole lot on it, but to make it less of a hassle, I just do the steps in a process, and take my time,
I would strip it down and rebuild and set the press per the bill Morgan Highboy YouTube videos . It's a great press mate

Thewelshm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts