Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

· Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has Anyone Here Ever Have Any Problems With The Hornady 357 Magnum Carbide Sizer Die ???
This Is The Toughest Sizer Die I've Ever Used .. I've Never Had To Use Two Hand's On The Ram Rod Before Just Resizing Brass .. Clean Brass At That .. It Is A Little Better With Case Lube But Not Much ... Took It Apart And Cleaned It Also To Check And See If Anything Out Of Ordinary But All Is Fine ... Dies Are Roughly 3 Years Old And About 2 Grand Of Brass Through Them ... Not Even Really Broken In Yet .. Any Suggestions ???

Just Would Like Your Honest Opinion ...

Thanks

· Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So question, the force required seems excessive. Is that a change, or have they always been that way?
Brnwlms ... It's Definitely A Change ... I Just Used Them Last Week And No Problems .. I Had To Lube Each Single Case ... But Towards The Last 20 Case's It Started Letting Up To We're It Was Working Normal Again .... I Thought Maybe Build Up ... But I Clean My Dies After Every Setting ... No Oil Of Course ... Just Wipe Down And A Cotton Swab Inside Around The Inside ... I Don't Understand It

· Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How about the brass? Was it your brass? Fired in a gun that you have reloaded brass out of before? Was it every piece of brass or every sixth piece?
Brnwlms ... My Brass ... Shot Out Of My GP100 ...
2nd Time Reloads ...
It Was Really Tough Through The First 30 Or So .. Then It Eased Up A Good Bit ... But Nothing Like It Should Be .. At Least I Don't Think So Anyways ... I Lubed Every Case Up Until The Last Case ... The First Case I Almost Didn't Get Back Out ... That's When I Stopped And Tore The Die Down To Inspect And Clean ... But Nothing ..
Found Nothing ... No Dents ... No Scar's ... No Abnormal Wear ... I Just Don't Understand It ... Last Week I Did Up About 100 Cases ... No Problems ... No Lube ...

· Registered
813 Posts
Woodsey495,

This is a total SWAG, but do you have something binding the ram on your press? The reason I ask is if I don't clean / wipe down the ram on my rockchucker every so often, it gets sticky for the lack of a better word. I know if a sliver of brass works its way into the primer catch area? it can start binding. It is just a thought. Otherwise, damned if I know.

· Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
2,248 Posts
I run several Hornady dies, and the only time I have had any resistance as you describe is when the ram needed cleaning or the die needed cleaning. But never that much force needed.
Does everything move freely when you have no case on the ram?

· Registered
561 Posts
Never had a problem with Hornady 38/357 sizer on a Hornady press in 15 years. Like you say, really weird to happen all of a sudden. Hornady press? Progressive press where something moving got worn or a new piece put on? Hate it when stuff just happens: mostly because when I figure it out it's some little thing I changed and forgot that I did it :)

Lots of good things to try posted above. Asking Hornady would be worth your time once you give up on DIY.

Spitballing here: Do you just dry-tumble brass? I've read that at least with some steel dies (NOT carbide), wet-tumbling brass really clean could cause them to stick a little.

Nebarsa-resident commercial break: My favorite cleaner/lube, especially where a dry lube is better, is Hornady OneShot Gun Cleaner and Lube. I use it on firearms on initial cleaning and occasionally after that, but always on my reloading dies and presses. Probably won't help as much on the carbide part of the 38/357 die, but good for press moving parts. Won't contaminate anything gun-related and is resistant to getting gummed up.

· Registered
323 Posts
Has Anyone Here Ever Have Any Problems With The Hornady 357 Magnum Carbide Sizer Die ???
This Is The Toughest Sizer Die I've Ever Used .. I've Never Had To Use Two Hand's On The Ram Rod Before Just Resizing Brass .. Clean Brass At That .. It Is A Little Better With Case Lube But Not Much ... Took It Apart And Cleaned It Also To Check And See If Anything Out Of Ordinary But All Is Fine ... Dies Are Roughly 3 Years Old And About 2 Grand Of Brass Through Them ... Not Even Really Broken In Yet .. Any Suggestions ???

Just Would Like Your Honest Opinion ...

Thanks
Is that only w/357mag brass? As with any reloading press that uses a 'ram', Once a year I clean & prep my reloaders with fine steel wool, clean again and dress with a very light coating of dry moly lube. Doing this keeps the 'presses rolling'.

· Registered
3,995 Posts
The problem I had wasn't with rifle die set but with pistol Die sizer , the set was 41 Magnum ... not a carbide die with a ring of carbide but a special carbide hard " Nitride finish " ... the finish was supposed to let you resize like a carbide "ring" die but to be honest the "finish" just didn't live up to the advertisement hype . I ended up lubricating the cases , with STP like case lube and sizing them ... if not ... I was afraid of sticking a case . To this day I use it like a "steel" sizer die
This was a few years ago ... I had hoped the "Nitride Finish" had been replaced or improved ... but maybe not .
Gary

1 - 20 of 86 Posts