Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 86 Posts

· Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The problem I had wasn't with rifle die set but with pistol Die sizer , the set was 41 Magnum ... not a carbide die with a ring of carbide but a special carbide hard " Nitride finish " ... the finish was supposed to let you resize like a carbide "ring" die but to be honest the "finish" just didn't live up to the advertisement hype . I ended up lubricating the cases , with STP like case lube and sizing them ... if not ... I was afraid of sticking a case . To this day I use it like a "steel" sizer die
This was a few years ago ... I had hoped the "Nitride Finish" had been replaced or improved ... but maybe not .
Gary
YES This 👆 Exactly ... Gwpercle this is exactly what I'm talking about but just couldn't spit it out and also couldn't find the name of it ... So do you think there is something wrong with it or it was just made this way ??? I work Friday through Sunday and not able to call Hornady to find out if it's a glitch on there end or just something that is made this way but either way I'm not happy with it but come Monday will definitely find out when I give them a call ...

Thanks Everyone For Words Of Wisdom

· Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
This is a real interesting and puzzling thread. I’ve got a few Hornady die sets and just ordered another (9.3x57) ,but it hasn’t arrived yet.
Got another question. The OP thread also puzzles me. Anyone notice that the first letter of every word is capitalized. That makes it hard for me to read.
Grinch I wrote the last post for you so it won't be hard for you to read ... Not being smart .....
but being considerate to others

· Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Is that only w/357mag brass? As with any reloading press that uses a 'ram', Once a year I clean & prep my reloaders with fine steel wool, clean again and dress with a very light coating of dry moly lube. Doing this keeps the 'presses rolling'.
Robert ... YES 👍 only with the Hornady 357 magnum die all the rest of my die are RCBS and no problem with them what so ever ... Press is great nothing wrong with it ..

· Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Never had a problem with Hornady 38/357 sizer on a Hornady press in 15 years. Like you say, really weird to happen all of a sudden. Hornady press? Progressive press where something moving got worn or a new piece put on? Hate it when stuff just happens: mostly because when I figure it out it's some little thing I changed and forgot that I did it :)

Lots of good things to try posted above. Asking Hornady would be worth your time once you give up on DIY.

Spitballing here: Do you just dry-tumble brass? I've read that at least with some steel dies (NOT carbide), wet-tumbling brass really clean could cause them to stick a little.

Nebarsa-resident commercial break: My favorite cleaner/lube, especially where a dry lube is better, is Hornady OneShot Gun Cleaner and Lube. I use it on firearms on initial cleaning and occasionally after that, but always on my reloading dies and presses. Probably won't help as much on the carbide part of the 38/357 die, but good for press moving parts. Won't contaminate anything gun-related and is resistant to getting gummed up.
Exec .. This is the first time I ever had problems with them . Like I said before I used them last week and no problem I did roughly 100 case's last week and all filtered through just fine . I dry tumble my brass with treated media and never a big deal and no problems thus far ... I believe there the die that's causing all the mischief

· Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Do you have the ability to try a different Sizer Die ?
Does your Sizer Die have a Decapper in it, if so try it without the Decapper in it ?
What does the brass measure, is it extra big for some reason ?
Does the expended brass come out of the cylinder OK ?
Tronicst .. No I Don't i only have the one set of 357 magnum die and no decapper i pull them out of all my die because I use a universal decapping die for that process .. Nope all brass are measured before and after the sizing process because I want to see how much if they do or don't stretch . Yeah the brass goes in and out of the cylinder just fine . They were Fiocchi brass 142 grain steel jacket bullets from factory that I shot through my GP100 and now I'm reloading them up but like said I've done numerous rounds before and no problems until this lot ...

· Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I run several Hornady dies, and the only time I have had any resistance as you describe is when the ram needed cleaning or the die needed cleaning. But never that much force needed.
Does everything move freely when you have no case on the ram?
Johnny ... Everything is working great my press is clean the ram working great no problem on that end . The die I took apart and deep cleaned it no signs of abuse or burrs or scratches . It definitely has me baffled

· Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Woodsey495,

This is a total SWAG, but do you have something binding the ram on your press? The reason I ask is if I don't clean / wipe down the ram on my rockchucker every so often, it gets sticky for the lack of a better word. I know if a sliver of brass works its way into the primer catch area? it can start binding. It is just a thought. Otherwise, damned if I know.
Training .. My thoughts exactly ... Danged if I know .
Press is clean and ram working great 👍

· Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Just a thought…
Even though your brass was clean, perhaps some dirt got in the die. It might not take very much to gum things up. You might do a thorough cleaning with a good solvent followed by a wipe with lint-free cloth as best you can.
Biquer ... Your exactly right it doesn't take much to gum it up but everything In that aspect is fine.

· Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I've been using the same set of Hornady 38/357 dies for almost thirty years and have never had a problem. Are you using the Custom Grade line or the American Series? I believe both carry a lifetime warranty. A call to Hornady may be in order.
Neb .. They are the American series .. Yeah I think a call to Hornady Monday morning will be the ticket

· Registered
136 Posts
Grinch I wrote the last post for you so it won't be hard for you to read ... Not being smart .....
but being considerate to others
Hope I didn’t come across being “snotty”. I was really very interested in your thread as I have Hornady dies and 41 Magnums.

As I read your post my curiosity got the best of me. For an old man like me (75 years old) who never learned to type, it seems to be quite a task to shift from lower case to upper case with every word.
Please… not being being a smart ass or snotty, just curious. I apologize if I came across wrong.

· Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hope I didn’t come across being “snotty”. I was really very interested in your thread as I have Hornady dies and 41 Magnums.

As I read your post my curiosity got the best of me. For an old man like me (75 years old) who never learned to type, it seems to be quite a task to shift from lower case to upper case with every word.
Please… not being being a smart ass or snotty, just curious. I apologize if I came across wrong.
Grinch .... Not at all my friend and no apologies necessary if it affects your reading then I don't mind a little bit of change I'd rather have you on here and contributing to the forum as much as possible so don't think a thing about it ... That's what we're all here for to help each other out and have a good time ... The reason I do this style of typing is I have to send out a lot of e-mails at work and just got into a habit of it ...

· Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
2,248 Posts
Neb .. They are the American series .. Yeah I think a call to Hornady Monday morning will be the ticket
Johnny ... Everything is working great my press is clean the ram working great no problem on that end . The die I took apart and deep cleaned it no signs of abuse or burrs or scratches . It definitely has me baffled
Since you eliminated the obvious/easy stuff, seems like it's the die and a call to Hornady seems best.

· Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Since you eliminated the obvious/easy stuff, seems like it's the die and a call to Hornady seems best.
Yeah I don't think there's any more I can do on my part besides the obvious and just make the call to Hornady Monday morning . There good people I've dealt with them in the past I know they will make it right and if not here I come RCBS ... Thanks Johnny

· Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
2,248 Posts
Yeah I don't think there's any more I can do on my part besides the obvious and just make the call to Hornady Monday morning . There good people I've dealt with them in the past I know they will make it right and if not here I come RCBS ... Thanks Johnny
I run 90% Hornady stuff in my Hornady LNL press, never had an issue with their customer service on the rare occasion I have needed them.
I drank the Red Kool-Aid early on. :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
3,995 Posts
YES This 👆 Exactly ... Gwpercle this is exactly what I'm talking about but just couldn't spit it out and also couldn't find the name of it ... So do you think there is something wrong with it or it was just made this way ??? I work Friday through Sunday and not able to call Hornady to find out if it's a glitch on there end or just something that is made this way but either way I'm not happy with it but come Monday will definitely find out when I give them a call ...

Thanks Everyone For Words Of Wisdom
I honestly think the Nitride Finish might be a great Finish for a knife blade or a gun but it isn't a replacement for a Carbide Sizer with a ring of carbide in it .
I just use the set I have as I would a steel die .
I have found that Lee Case Resizing Lubricant , a water soluble wax based metal forming lube that's not greasy or messy , dry wax film , works great with these Nitride Finished dies .
The Nitride Finish was new when Hornady started using it on their dies and they are good dies .

And to be honest , now that Lee Case Lube can be dissolved in alcohol and spray applied ... it's not messy ... so I use it on all my sizing , steel die or carbide ... just makes resizing easier and I approve of Easy !
Let us know what Hornady tells you .
Gary

· Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I honestly think the Nitride Finish might be a great Finish for a knife blade or a gun but it isn't a replacement for a Carbide Sizer with a ring of carbide in it .
I just use the set I have as I would a steel die .
I have found that Lee Case Resizing Lubricant , a water soluble wax based metal forming lube that's not greasy or messy , dry wax film , works great with these Nitride Finished dies .
The Nitride Finish was new when Hornady started using it on their dies and they are good dies .

And to be honest , now that Lee Case Lube can be dissolved in alcohol and spray applied ... it's not messy ... so I use it on all my sizing , steel die or carbide ... just makes resizing easier and I approve of Easy !
Let us know what Hornady tells you .
Gary
Thanks Gary ... I will definitely try this out but still don't know why all of a sudden start this now because it wasn't happening before ....

· Registered
36 Posts
Do you have the ability to try a different Sizer Die ?
Does your Sizer Die have a Decapper in it, if so try it without the Decapper in it ?
What does the brass measure, is it extra big for some reason ?
Does the expended brass come out of the cylinder OK ?
My thoughts exactly- if you can try another die to drill down for a root cause.

21 - 40 of 86 Posts