Ruger Forum banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

· Registered
323 Posts
Tronicst .. No I Don't i only have the one set of 357 magnum die and no decapper i pull them out of all my die because I use a universal decapping die for that process .. Nope all brass are measured before and after the sizing process because I want to see how much if they do or don't stretch . Yeah the brass goes in and out of the cylinder just fine . They were Fiocchi brass 142 grain steel jacket bullets from factory that I shot through my GP100 and now I'm reloading them up but like said I've done numerous rounds before and no problems until this lot ...
^^^^^Universal decapping die's Rock! The best way/process to proceed.

· Registered
323 Posts
Hope I didn’t come across being “snotty”. I was really very interested in your thread as I have Hornady dies and 41 Magnums.

As I read your post my curiosity got the best of me. For an old man like me (75 years old) who never learned to type, it seems to be quite a task to shift from lower case to upper case with every word.
Please… not being being a smart ass or snotty, just curious. I apologize if I came across wrong.
^^^ Hey, I resemble that. As far as typing goes. My 2 index fingers are my tools.

· Registered
440 Posts
I started reloading in Feb of '76 with a set of RCBS 38/357 dies, standard ones where I had to pre-lube the case and have to wipe it off. By around 1990 I got tried of the lube business as I was reloading alot of ammo, both for Police Competition matches, regular plinking along a river and wooded areas, and paper punching. Bought a set of Pacific carbide dies (who Hornady bought) and enjoyed the non-lubing. Noticed some time after that a few small scratches were always on the nickeled plated brass and that there was a telltale ring just above the rim of the brass. Measuring what the resized case was compared to those sized by my old RCBS sizer, the Pacific carbide sized cases were way narrower. I always dry cleaned by brass prior to resizing and kept my media changed once in a while. Kept dies clean also. The scratches and what appeared to be over sizing bothered me so I called Hornady who was the owner and distributor of Pacific Dies. Was advised to send it in for inspection.

Sent carbide die and a sheet of paper with facts and figures of RCBS die resize dimensions and with the Pacific die. Also pointing out the scratches and tell tale ring above the cartridge rim. Sent them a resized Pacific 357 brass also. Some time later I received my .357 brass back with a new carbide sizer die. Only thing it said in the letter that my original carbide die had issues and instead of fixing it they were sending me a new Hornady carbide die. In letter they advised if I wasn't satisfied with their response to call back. That was around 30 years ago and the .357 die is still resizing great. No scratches and the nasty ring left above the rim is pretty much non-existent. I have read that carbide dies will leave a bit of a ring above the rim of the cartridge, but nothing like that first die I had.

· Registered
3,995 Posts
Is everyone using a Carbide Sizing Die?
I have several sets of steel dies that I use because I like the way they can size a tapered case . Look at the 9mm Luger ... it's tapered ! I had a set of 1960's CH steel dies , used for years ... Carbide dies at one time were expensive and unless you had a well paying job with disposable income ... you bought steel dies ! Them Lee came out with a $10 or $12 Carbide Sizing Die ... Whoeeee Mamma an affordable Carbide Die ... So I picked up one for 9mm Luger and for 38 Special .
But , to be honest , the 9mm sized the tapered case straight and the 38 Spcl, sized the base down way too much and were not smooth in sizing ... I find myself using the steel dies with Lee Case Lubricant and the carbide just sit there as back-up .
Gary

· Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I called Hornady today .. actually just got off the phone with them and very nice person I was talking to . I told him the problem I was having with the sizer die .. I went on to explain to him that I cleaned all the die's up every use .. took them apart and put a drop or two of Hoppe's No9 and send a lite brush through them not a wire brush but a nylon then a have a small air compressor at the bench and I blowed them out really good then leave them to set for awhile ... His reply was to use brake cleaner spray on it to get the gumbed up fouling out of it .. He said that was my main problem sounds like to Him ....... :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure: ... I reiterated to him that the die's are clean and that there is no build up inside or out ..
He said try that brake cleaner first then if it doesn't work out then send them back and we will have a look at them ... I said Thanks and you have a good day ...
So I ask you nice people ??? Does this sizer die look gumbed up with fouling to you ??????

Sleeve Comfort Linens Wood Fashion accessory

Cloud Automotive tire Automotive lighting Sleeve Automotive design

Safety glove Fluid Finger Gas Nail

Automotive lighting Safety glove Sleeve Personal protective equipment Drink

Thanks All for your valuable information on this matter

· Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Wow ... I'm totally stumped and dumbfounded ...
I just ran 200 case's through and no hiccups .....
Not One ..... All the cases were never cleaned straight from the box that I Fired them from . This time around I only had to lube every other 4th case ... Ran like a stripped butt ape 🦧 ... I think those little reloading bench gremlins fixed it . I have no clue as to what is going on but for now I guess the fix is on . I checked the ram up stroke ... Straight as an arrow .. Everyone of them feed perfectly ... Chalk it up to unsolved mysteries I guess ....

Thanks All For The Positive Feedback and Help

· Registered
17,034 Posts
I called Hornady today .. actually just got off the phone with them and very nice person I was talking to . I told him the problem I was having with the sizer die .. I went on to explain to him that I cleaned all the die's up every use .. took them apart and put a drop or two of Hoppe's No9 and send a lite brush through them not a wire brush but a nylon then a have a small air compressor at the bench and I blowed them out really good then leave them to set for awhile ... His reply was to use brake cleaner spray on it to get the gumbed up fouling out of it .. He said that was my main problem sounds like to Him ....... :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure: ... I reiterated to him that the die's are clean and that there is no build up inside or out ..
He said try that brake cleaner first then if it doesn't work out then send them back and we will have a look at them ... I said Thanks and you have a good day ...
So I ask you nice people ??? Does this sizer die look gumbed up with fouling to you ??????

View attachment 186768
View attachment 186766
View attachment 186769
View attachment 186767

Thanks All for your valuable information on this matter
looks pretty clean to me ...

· Registered
17,034 Posts
Wow ... I'm totally stumped and dumbfounded ...
I just ran 200 case's through and no hiccups .....
Not One ..... All the cases were never cleaned straight from the box that I Fired them from . This time around I only had to lube every other 4th case ... Ran like a stripped butt ape 🦧 ... I think those little reloading bench gremlins fixed it . I have no clue as to what is going on but for now I guess the fix is on . I checked the ram up stroke ... Straight as an arrow .. Everyone of them feed perfectly ... Chalk it up to unsolved mysteries I guess ....

Thanks All For The Positive Feedback and Help
well Mr 495 ... i've got a few questions or comments. In the begining of this thread were you sizing cleaned or dirty cases? Now, you mentioned you were only having to lube every 4th case if i understand your comment, if so have you always lubed up your straight wall cases?

· Registered
17,034 Posts
That is what I thought, but in this industry us gray haired old farts are kicking the bucket to quickly!
you sir had better stick around ... i always need a few guys like you to take down the rabbit holes with me, when i get crazy ideas ...

41 - 60 of 86 Posts