Ruger Forum banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

· Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
well Mr 495 ... i've got a few questions or comments. In the begining of this thread were you sizing cleaned or dirty cases? Now, you mentioned you were only having to lube every 4th case if i understand your comment, if so have you always lubed up your straight wall cases?
The First batch we're cleaned correct ...
Yes .. I'm now Lubing every 4th case ..
No I wasn't lubing because I thought were carbide die but in fact are titanium ring die

· Registered
17,034 Posts
The First batch we're cleaned correct ...
Yes .. I'm now Lubing every 4th case ..
No I wasn't lubing because I thought were carbide die but in fact are titanium ring die
I've not used a sizing ring that had a titanium ring, do you need to lube or is it your preference to lube?

· Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I've not used a sizing ring that had a titanium ring, do you need to lube or is it your preference to lube?
Well .... Good Question RMichael ... I thought that I didn't need to but and I wasn't using anything and was working great 👍 No Problems.. Then just last week I was sizing some up with no problems ran right through no lube .. The other day first one in and Stuck bigger than billy de frig ... Had a heck of a time getting it out and then I got my lube pad out and started using it but the first 30 or so was a t-total almost two hand's on deal but after that it eased up a bit to wear only needed little more pressure than you regularly would ... Does this make sense to you ? Because it sure doesn't to me my friend

· Registered
17,034 Posts
Well .... Good Question RMichael ... I thought that I didn't need to but and I wasn't using anything and was working great 👍 No Problems.. Then just last week I was sizing some up with no problems ran right through no lube .. The other day first one in and Stuck bigger than billy de frig ... Had a heck of a time getting it out and then I got my lube pad out and started using it but the first 30 or so was a t-total almost two hand's on deal but after that it eased up a bit to wear only needed little more pressure than you regularly would ... Does this make sense to you ? Because it sure doesn't to me my friend
Well, you got me thoroughly convinced there are gremlins in your reloading room. My 357 carbide dies are Lee and I have never had an issue. Now I inherited them from my late father and he reloaded a lot of 357 and I don't ever recall him having any issues. I think a trip back to the mothership is in order.

· Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Well, you got me thoroughly convinced there are gremlins in your reloading room. My 357 carbide dies are Lee and I have never had an issue. Now I inherited them from my late father and he reloaded a lot of 357 and I don't ever recall him having any issues. I think a trip back to the mothership is in order.
I think so too back to the mother ship . I think I'm going to call Hornady back today and ask some more questions about sending them back and have them to check the die out and see if there is anything wrong if nothing else than for piece of mind ... Maybe check and see about a RCBS back up set as well for future reference ....

Thanks

· Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I called Hornady back today and was asking him what they called that little brass looking ring at the bottom of the sizer die and he said Titanium Nitride ring he said it was more durable than carbide . Don't Know about that but okay . I also asked about lubing the brass Everytime and he said probably be a good idea .. He tells me that he uses the spray lube and puts a small thin coat on his everytime ... So I guess I have my answers ... I guess it was me the hole time but then again stranger things have happened .... I don't think I've seen the last of this little problem ... I'm hoping but something just tells me that I will probably be sending these back ... I have about 50 or so to send through them next week . We will see ....

Thanks For All The Help and Feedback

· Registered
104 Posts
Has Anyone Here Ever Have Any Problems With The Hornady 357 Magnum Carbide Sizer Die ???
This Is The Toughest Sizer Die I've Ever Used .. I've Never Had To Use Two Hand's On The Ram Rod Before Just Resizing Brass .. Clean Brass At That .. It Is A Little Better With Case Lube But Not Much ... Took It Apart And Cleaned It Also To Check And See If Anything Out Of Ordinary But All Is Fine ... Dies Are Roughly 3 Years Old And About 2 Grand Of Brass Through Them ... Not Even Really Broken In Yet .. Any Suggestions ???

Just Would Like Your Honest Opinion ...

Thanks
I had the same issue with the sizer die on a set of Hornady 9mm Luger dies I bought new circa mid 1990's. After a few years of use (probably approx. 10k or so cases resizings (using no lube since it is the Titanium Nitride style die), the sizing effort got really hard, and eventually got a case stuck in die. A call to Hornady and they said, send the die back, and they could polish the inside of the sizing die Titanium Nitride ring to correct the issue. Never did. Picked up a used set of Lee 9mm Luger carbide dies at a gun show soon after, and have been using the Lee dies since. Nowadays, I lightly spray 9mm Luger cases before resizing in the carbide with Dillon case lube, and things go a little smoother.

· Registered
323 Posts
I started reloading in Feb of '76 with a set of RCBS 38/357 dies, standard ones where I had to pre-lube the case and have to wipe it off. By around 1990 I got tried of the lube business as I was reloading alot of ammo, both for Police Competition matches, regular plinking along a river and wooded areas, and paper punching. Bought a set of Pacific carbide dies (who Hornady bought) and enjoyed the non-lubing. Noticed some time after that a few small scratches were always on the nickeled plated brass and that there was a telltale ring just above the rim of the brass. Measuring what the resized case was compared to those sized by my old RCBS sizer, the Pacific carbide sized cases were way narrower. I always dry cleaned by brass prior to resizing and kept my media changed once in a while. Kept dies clean also. The scratches and what appeared to be over sizing bothered me so I called Hornady who was the owner and distributor of Pacific Dies. Was advised to send it in for inspection.

Sent carbide die and a sheet of paper with facts and figures of RCBS die resize dimensions and with the Pacific die. Also pointing out the scratches and tell tale ring above the cartridge rim. Sent them a resized Pacific 357 brass also. Some time later I received my .357 brass back with a new carbide sizer die. Only thing it said in the letter that my original carbide die had issues and instead of fixing it they were sending me a new Hornady carbide die. In letter they advised if I wasn't satisfied with their response to call back. That was around 30 years ago and the .357 die is still resizing great. No scratches and the nasty ring left above the rim is pretty much non-existent. I have read that carbide dies will leave a bit of a ring above the rim of the cartridge, but nothing like that first die I had.
Now that's proper customer service!

· Registered
323 Posts
I called Hornady today .. actually just got off the phone with them and very nice person I was talking to . I told him the problem I was having with the sizer die .. I went on to explain to him that I cleaned all the die's up every use .. took them apart and put a drop or two of Hoppe's No9 and send a lite brush through them not a wire brush but a nylon then a have a small air compressor at the bench and I blowed them out really good then leave them to set for awhile ... His reply was to use brake cleaner spray on it to get the gumbed up fouling out of it .. He said that was my main problem sounds like to Him ....... :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure: ... I reiterated to him that the die's are clean and that there is no build up inside or out ..
He said try that brake cleaner first then if it doesn't work out then send them back and we will have a look at them ... I said Thanks and you have a good day ...
So I ask you nice people ??? Does this sizer die look gumbed up with fouling to you ??????

View attachment 186768
View attachment 186766
View attachment 186769
View attachment 186767

Thanks All for your valuable information on this matter
This may sound a bit over technical. But I have a 'Borescope' (actually 2) that I use 1 to inspect automotive cylinders, and 1 for less dirty tasks. Like bbl chambers, reloading dies and presses where my limited vision can't see the detail I need. It actually works great.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts