Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read about the new Hornady LNL Iron Press in another thread. Honestly it looks pretty good for a single stage. The iron press is wide open on the front and the optional primer feed system looks pretty nice as well.

www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-Load-Iron-Press

Midway is listing it at $250. Not available until December.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I am saving up for a Forster Co-Ax but every time I get to $275, I buy something like Ruger's new Charger or 5,000 bullets:rolleyes:

I did watch that video earlier and liked it. Their quick die change system, like the Lee system I now currently use, makes life easier in the single stage world.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Very cool. If I we're going to start reloading I would get that, but I already have a Hornady classic single stage and a LnL AP.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
I'd save a few more bucks and get a Forster co-ax press.........well worth a couple bucks more than the inferior Hornady stuff (IMO) And without a doubt don't use Hornady dies!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Hornady dies work fine for me:) here we go popcorn please...

Thewelshm

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No chain jerking; I thought Hornady dies were considered decent. Something to share about them?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
No chain jerking; I thought Hornady dies were considered decent. Something to share about them?
I use Hornady dies in .243 and 44 mag/spec. No issues with the rifle die set but the seating/crimp die for 44 leaves much to be desired. Can't get a decent crimp no matter how carefully I adjust it. Finally gave up and just use a Lee FCD after seating with the Hornady.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'd save a few more bucks and get a Forster co-ax press.........well worth a couple bucks more than the inferior Hornady stuff (IMO) And without a doubt don't use Hornady dies!

I once owned a "New Dimension" die set in .223, it was the case stickinest die I ever owned, no matter what lube was used and if you followed setup directions, it would set the shoulder back .010 too far! Replaced with Forster.

I love my CO-AX for loading rifle ammo.

That new press looks a lot like a Bonanza 68.

·
Registered
294 Posts
It looks like it has a lot of great features. If I were in the market (and didn't already have a LNL Classic), I'd definitely be considering this one.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Hornady dies are junk.......Lee dies are junk.......RCBS dies are junk....... and so on and so forth. Just depends on who you ask. About the same as the Ford, Chevy, Dodge argument. I have about every brand die you can have.....they ALL work just fine.

That press looks good. I would have no issue using it.........I have a Coax press, works great. Is it light years better than everything else out there as some claim?...........Nope, just a nice press.

·
Registered
554 Posts
GONRA (big RCBS, for larger stuff CH4D fan) REALLY appreciates
the Hornady seat dies that hasa slider inside to keep the bullet lined up whilst seating.
These REALLY save the day for 5.7x28mm FN loading
and SHOULD for .25 ACP when dies come in - couple weeks?

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Hornady dies are junk.......Lee dies are junk.......RCBS dies are junk....... and so on and so forth. Just depends on who you ask. About the same as the Ford, Chevy, Dodge argument. I have about every brand die you can have.....they ALL work just fine.

That press looks good. I would have no issue using it.........I have a Coax press, works great. Is it light years better than everything else out there as some claim?...........Nope, just a nice press.
I have dies from just about every manufacturer possible and the Hornady are by far the worst POS's I've ever used. Can anyone say Lachmiller? How about Hart dies from back east? I still use an ancient Ideal Tru-Line Jr. with small diameter dies that are far better than the Hornady.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I use Hornady dies in .243 and 44 mag/spec. No issues with the rifle die set but the seating/crimp die for 44 leaves much to be desired. Can't get a decent crimp no matter how carefully I adjust it. Finally gave up and just use a Lee FCD after seating with the Hornady.
Send me your address I'll come and show you..

Thewelshm

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I have dies from just about every manufacturer possible and the Hornady are by far the worst POS's I've ever used. Can anyone say Lachmiller? How about Hart dies from back east? I still use an ancient Ideal Tru-Line Jr. with small diameter dies that are far better than the Hornady.
A poor workman always blames the tools

Thewelshm

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
My Hornady dies work just fine.........maybe they just choose to send YOU pos ones..............LOL!!!!

But the problem is VERY easy to solve. You don't like Hornady dies, don't use them

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
I've most likely handloaded more ammunition than THEWELSHMN has ever seen. And you're right msp3903.....I don't buy junk anymore. I gave them two chances!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
The Forster Co-ax is flat out the best press I have ever used, and I owned Lyman, Dillon and Lee presses. As far as dies go, I'm color blind. Every set, no matter who's manufacture, has worked well for me.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The press looks to be a decently designed press, but for the money I'd be going for a Forster if I was buying a press.

The attachments on the top would be a great place for me to hit my arm on and cut myself, and I am not a fan of the locking sleeves. Folks that use them seem to like them, but there is no faster or easier die change than a Co-Ax.

The priming system is undoubtedly faster, but I do most of my priming with a RCBS tool, which I find to be quick and positive.

I am sure we will get some real life reports pretty soon.

I have RCBS (40 yrs) Dillon (24 yrs) and Co-Ax (3 yrs) I use 'em all.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I've most likely handloaded more ammunition than THEWELSHMN has ever seen. And you're right msp3903.....I don't buy junk anymore. I gave them two chances!
Not that it really matters...........but you might consider that your opinion would likely be taken a little more seriously if you provided some info, as far as your experiences with these dies. Just THEY SUCK, won't garner much attention from many.

You even felt the need in the Hornady press release thread, to express your "they suck" mentality, again with zero explanation. That just seems like some awful strong opinions. I buy stuff all the time that doesn't do what I wanted it to do, yet I don't feel compelled to troll every thread relating to that company and say they suck.................I am sure I am not the only one who has seen this, so some information might further your cause

1 - 20 of 26 Posts