Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last minute, day-before-season preparations had me excited for hunting my Ohio woods and I was messing with this and fiddling around with that today. I thought I'd check sights on my .45 Colt lever action one more time so I went outside to my range and pulled the trigger on a 50 yard plate and... CLICK!

Shockingly, I shucked out the Hornady Leverevolution 225 grain round and the primer had a big dent but didn't go off. I rechambered it and dropped the hammer a few more times, and still nothing. I chambered a CAS load and it fired off just like usual.

I put in another HLVRN round and it went off and banged the plate. I loaded up three more HLVRN rounds and hit the plate again with first and second rounds, but the third went click again. This round had the same type of dent in the primer as the last no-show.

I heard that about 1 in 1,000,000 rounds may have a bad primer, so how's my luck getting two in the same box? I've only got a dozen rounds left from this box so I pulled the bullets, replaced primers with new, reseated and crimped the bullet and now feel safe from another misfire, I think...

I'm not sure what powder they use, but they only have 7.6 grains in them. You can sure tell difference between them and standard CAS loads when you hit steel though.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Interesting!

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
I've gotten boxes of ammunition that were 30% - 50% duds - PMC and Winchester white box. It's possible that your ammunition was part of a "bad batch". It happens. Let Hornady know about it; they might want to test it.

Jim

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
You might want to measure the rim thickness of the offending ammo.

I have never had a primer failure except when I caused it, then again I very rarely shoot factory ammo.

Possibly your rifle has excessive headspace and the thicker rims on the CAS load compensate for the excessive head space.

Compare the rim thicknesses of both types of ammo.

Don't know but how big is a big dent?

If all the above falls through it sure looks like bad primers.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
To be sure - this was factory loaded ammo, right? Not reloaded rounds? Only asking since this is the reloading section, not the ammo dump.

I've never had any bad luck running Hornady factory Leverevolution loads, been through thousands of them. Most of my firearms are sprung very lightly, so my hammer strikes are probably about as light as they get - never with a misfire that I recall with Hornady rounds, definitely not more frequently than anything else. PMC has given me fit in the past, and some Remington, but I can't recall ever a miss with Hornady.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Not Headspace

Since the .45 Colt head spaces off the rim I doubt that is the issue. Contact Hornady and they will probably have you send the remaining rounds in with the original box. They certainly will want to understand what is happening. You should get a refund or coupon for a free replacement.

If you want to use the Flex Tip rounds, go buy another box. They will probably be fine. The FTX rounds are fantastic for hunting IMHO.

Good for you for checking out your ammunition before the hunt. Too bad you can't test every round in advance:eek:

·
Registered
846 Posts
Since the .45 Colt head spaces off the rim I doubt that is the issue. Contact Hornady and they will probably have you send the remaining rounds in with the original box. They certainly will want to understand what is happening. You should get a refund or coupon for a free replacement.

If you want to use the Flex Tip rounds, go buy another box. They will probably be fine. The FTX rounds are fantastic for hunting IMHO.

Good for you for checking out your ammunition before the hunt. Too bad you can't test every round in advance:eek:
I agree that the Hornady Flex tip rounds are good hunting rounds. I use them in my RSRH and have had great results and they always go bang for me.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Varminterror, I posted in reloading section due to the fact I pulled the bullets out of sketchy factory ammo, knocked out primers, reprimed, replaced the charge, reseated and crimped bullets.

I was stating an odd occurrence with factory ammo that only a reloader would appreciate or have tools and ability to virtually guarantee they would go off.

I'm not sure the tipped bullets are what they were hyped up to be. XTP's accuracy with slightly warmer rounds have about same accuracy.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have delt with Hornady customer service and they were always fantastic with me. I'd give them a call. I shoot a lot of Hornady, and love their products, but no one is perfect. Give them a call.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Blackcrow, thanks for your reply. It's a resolved problem now since I 'overhauled' the remainder of the box. The only reason I bought the factory ammo was the nylon tipped, lever action safe, pointed bullets weren't available yet as components. I'm working on a load currently for .45 Colt with their XTP bullets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts