Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am having trouble with seating to an OAL using this press. When I have brass in each station I get one OAL, and if I have just one round in the shell plate the OAL decreases by .005"-.007" when I seat the bullet. I am fairly certain this is due to not having a round in the sizing/de-priming die. I think this added load is slightly deflecting the shell plate and changing the OAL when seating the bullet.

Has anyone else seen this problem? The workaround I have is to always have brass at each station.

Thanks,

DTENG

·
Registered
298 Posts
Your work around is correct always have the shell plate full when setting your seating die depthed

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
For that to happen, it's either flex or wobble. My understanding is, in the case of the LNL, it's wobble. Add a shim, tighten it up, it goes away.

·
Registered
408 Posts
There will be some difference in OAL, but 5-7 thousandths is a lot. As Varminterror said:

(tighten it up . . .) You could check that the two bolts (#35 in the parts explosion) on either side of the ram assembly are tight. (add a shim . . . ) If that's not the issue you can shim the subplate.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Their instructions will tell you to tighten the shell plate bolt until the plate turns. Yeah right - tighten it down

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the shell plate bolt wrench, so I can tighten the daylights out of it. Upon closer examination, the problem does seem to be wobble. With a shell plate installed and tightened down securely, the shell plate will still wobble. I am pretty sure this wobble is what is causing the LOA to change on my reloads. The wobble is coming from the drive hub/shaft assembly.

To sort out where the slop in the drive is coming from would require me to pop out the drive shaft and check the fit of the parts. Is this wobble normal for this press? With your shell plate securely tightened down, does your shell plate wobble?

Thanks

DTENG

·
Registered
408 Posts
. . .Upon closer examination, the problem does seem to be wobble. With a shell plate installed and tightened down securely, the shell plate will still wobble. I am pretty sure this wobble is what is causing the LOA to change on my reloads. The wobble is coming from the drive hub/shaft assembly. . . .
Shouldn't see/feel wobble there. My suggestion: Call Hornady, from the press, so they can walk you through any diagnostics/questions they have. They are pretty good at that, and will tell you what the next steps are.

ETA: It may not be just tightening that's required, it may be a need for parts.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have the shell plate bolt wrench, so I can tighten the daylights out of it. Upon closer examination, the problem does seem to be wobble. With a shell plate installed and tightened down securely, the shell plate will still wobble. I am pretty sure this wobble is what is causing the LOA to change on my reloads. The wobble is coming from the drive hub/shaft assembly.

To sort out where the slop in the drive is coming from would require me to pop out the drive shaft and check the fit of the parts. Is this wobble normal for this press? With your shell plate securely tightened down, does your shell plate wobble?

Thanks

DTENG
None at all. Don't take it apart yet. Call Hornady and talk to the tech guy.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Called Hornady. Their tech support indicated that wobble in the shell plate is normal and that I should continue with my workaround, keeping brass in each station when seating. I will continue to do just that.

Another thing I have noticed is the powder cop yields inconsistent readings, even though the correct amount of powder has been delivered. I reload mixed brass and I think the inconsistent readings are coming from variations in the thickness of the brass bases.

What do you think?

Thanks, DTENG

·
Registered
173 Posts
Powder Cop - maybe.
I bought and used a powder cop but I didn't really need it. I only load 9 & 45 and with Unique it almost fills the cases so I stopped using it.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Called Hornady. Their tech support indicated that wobble in the shell plate is normal and that I should continue with my workaround, keeping brass in each station when seating. I will continue to do just that.

Another thing I have noticed is the powder cop yields inconsistent readings, even though the correct amount of powder has been delivered. I reload mixed brass and I think the inconsistent readings are coming from variations in the thickness of the brass bases.

What do you think?

Thanks, DTENG
While I get very, very slight variations with seating depths, they are extremely minor and acceptable. Furthermore, IMO the variations are NOT due to plate "wobble". Indeed, my shell holders are rock solid.

Regarding your powder cop, what readings are "inconsistent". Depending how compact my drop is, I may get the little white ring to be slightly raised or slightly depressed, but a double check of random charges consistently shows +/- 0.001 within original settings. Only in the event of a non-charge or double charge will the powder cop either NOT register or show the white ring obviously raised to show a problem.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Under .010" is acceptable for a progressive. Under .005" for a single stage. Common.
Really?

My LNL AP is +- .003. Close enough for 9mm.

My Redding T-7 is +- .0005. Thats half a thousandth. At least when using my Redding Competition 300WM dies.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Bullet Seating Dies and OAL

Really?

My LNL AP is +- .003. Close enough for 9mm.

My Redding T-7 is +- .0005. Thats half a thousandth. At least when using my Redding Competition 300WM dies.
If the seating die contacts the shell holder, it cuts done on the OAL variation. Redding has said this for some of there competition dies. This works like the Lee Dead Length Bullet Seating die.
Screw the die in until it touches the shellholder—then turn in 1/4 turn more. This removes
all play from the press and insures each bullet will be seated to a uniform depth. Bullet
depth is controlled by the adjusting screw. This die will not crimp the bullet in place.
Results may be different with a shell plate, because each station may have a different deck height, not the standard .125" at each.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I used a lock washer on the shell plate when I had mine, just snugged the bolt down until tight and no problems.

·
Registered
298 Posts

What do you think?

Thanks, DTENG
A couple of things to consider:

The shell plate does not push the case into the die, the plate below it does. The shell plate pulls the case out of the dies and rotates the cases from station to station. A loose shell plate will not cause col variations.

With a fine powder and my RCBS powder checker I can tell the difference in case brand. This indicates case volume is not the same due to brand. I don't worry about it for handgun loads.

You didn't state which brand of bullets you are loading. I've experienced a lot of col variance due to bullet nose shape variance in the same brand/style/weight of bullet. I believe this is from the (inexpensive) bullets being made in different machines and sometimes all being shipped in the same box. However, I've noticed this difference especially from box to box. Never mix bullets from different boxes. I made this mistake once and had to adjust the col on 20 rounds that I mixed a partial box in with a new box.

Good luck!

·
Registered
552 Posts
GONRA's not Really Sure this applies here... (What caliber are you reloading? Maybe I missed it?)

For many years, my younger son has been using a Dillon progressive. Doesn't even OWN a single stage press.
Not sure how all this verks out, but he hasn't had any problems. He's REALLY CAREFUL on all this stuff......

But I told him, when he gets going on RELOADING once fired .300 RUM brass and other necked rifle calibers,
let Dad do CASE PREP on a large single stage press.
Then he can proceed as usual on his Dillon, starting out with SIZED cases.

This avoids a large strain on the progressive press. Pretty sure I read that lotttsa guys do this. ???

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A couple of things to consider:

The shell plate does not push the case into the die, the plate below it does. The shell plate pulls the case out of the dies and rotates the cases from station to station. A loose shell plate will not cause col variations.

With a fine powder and my RCBS powder checker I can tell the difference in case brand. This indicates case volume is not the same due to brand. I don't worry about it for handgun loads.

You didn't state which brand of bullets you are loading. I've experienced a lot of col variance due to bullet nose shape variance in the same brand/style/weight of bullet. I believe this is from the (inexpensive) bullets being made in different machines and sometimes all being shipped in the same box. However, I've noticed this difference especially from box to box. Never mix bullets from different boxes. I made this mistake once and had to adjust the col on 20 rounds that I mixed a partial box in with a new box.

Good luck!
Showmebob, thanks for the post. You are absolutely right, the shell plate is not doing the bullet seating. So the seating depth variance must be due to deflection occurring on the Subplate when sizing brass. Like I said, my OALs are very consistent when I have brass at all stations.

On my pistol rounds (9mm and 45ACP) I am using X-treme plated RN bullets. Yes, I too have suspected the bullet shape to be a contributing factor to this inconsistency.

Agreed on the case brand causing powder cop indication variations. The variations are not large. The indicator rings tends to vary from slightly above the surface to slightly below. Whenever I do a weight check on the powder, it is typically dead on.

Thanks again, DTENG

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
GONRA's not Really Sure this applies here... (What caliber are you reloading? Maybe I missed it?)

For many years, my younger son has been using a Dillon progressive. Doesn't even OWN a single stage press.
Not sure how all this verks out, but he hasn't had any problems. He's REALLY CAREFUL on all this stuff......

But I told him, when he gets going on RELOADING once fired .300 RUM brass and other necked rifle calibers,
let Dad do CASE PREP on a large single stage press.
Then he can proceed as usual on his Dillon, starting out with SIZED cases.

This avoids a large strain on the progressive press. Pretty sure I read that lotttsa guys do this. ???
Gonra, on my rifle rounds I size the cases on my LNL AP and then spend a lot of time finishing the case prep (i.e. correcting OAL, prepping primer pockets, etc.). By the way, I had a terrible time with the Hornady sizing die I had for my 7.62x39 cases. The cases would stick terribly and I had to go excessively over-center to get the head space in spec. I switched to Redding Dies and my problems went away, what a difference.

Once I have checked each case, I finish loading the rounds with the LNL AP, sizing die removed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts