Ruger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Corps Commander NGV
8,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's only early August, but I took the opportunity to get a couple of deer rifles zeroed in with new loads. It was 93 degrees with only partial shade and the gnats were out in force. Summer afternoons in S. Georgia are pretty brutal. I only fired a couple of groups with each rifle but I accomplished what I set out to do. I adjusted the scope after firing the initial group. I went too far adjusting the .308 and had to back up. The .270 was really close after the 2nd group and just needed a couple of clicks down. My intention was to have the rifles dead on at 200yds. Hopefully I will have a chance to shoot them at 200 and 300 yards when I come for a pre-season work weekend. I have to go to Jacksonville tomorrow to attend a memorial service for my cousin. It was nice getting trigger time on bolt action rifles even if conditions were miserable.
Plant Green Automotive tire Grass Tree

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Shotgun Gun barrel

Military camouflage Air gun Machine gun Trigger Shotgun

White Light Font Rectangle Line

Font Slope Circle Parallel Diagram

·
Registered
55 Posts
Only 93, you want to trade, it was 106 today and haven’t seen rain in over a month. Glad you could get your rifles zeroed. I living under the AC until this heat goes away maybe by Christmas 🤶.

·
Corps Commander NGV
8,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only 93, you want to trade, it was 106 today and haven’t seen rain in over a month. Glad you could get your rifles zeroed. I living under the AC until this heat goes away maybe by Christmas 🤶.
No thanks! The heat was not as bad as the gnats. My sweat just gave them something to swim in. Last week I was bragging about my fan that goes around my neck...and I forgot it today!

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Still a little early for me to zero. Maybe next month. I spent time last year dialing in my two rifles and still have ammo left from what I used. All I need to do is verify nothing has changed. Hopefully 2 shots through each will do it.

We have started prepping our farm though. Food plots are in and we are repairing a tower stand foundation this weekend. It’s been hot and humid here in central Kentucky and it finally started raining again.

·
Administrator
23,590 Posts
On the 270 the shot to the right and lower is that the 3rd shot or the 1st in the group? I'll guess 1st. Just wonder if the BBL can't cool in the heat. Don't get me wrong that'll do the job nicely just I'm always curious as to what makes the bullet do what it does.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Props to you for getting out there and getting it done.

I am born and raised by the southern border in AZ, Well versed in 110 degree plus and working outside.
Had to go to Arkansas for a couple of years. Was told it got hot but meh, what the heck can 95 degrees do to me?
I was again working outside ,every day and well ,,,,, 95 degrees at 90% dang near killed me.
Toss in the bugs ,nats , skeeters and chiggers = some real misery.
Door opened to leave, and I was gone.

·
Corps Commander NGV
8,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still a little early for me to zero. Maybe next month. I spent time last year dialing in my two rifles and still have ammo left from what I used. All I need to do is verify nothing has changed. Hopefully 2 shots through each will do it.

We have started prepping our farm though. Food plots are in and we are repairing a tower stand foundation this weekend. It’s been hot and humid here in central Kentucky and it finally started raining again.
I will be using the same ammo for my .243 and my .30-06 so those just need confirmation shots. I can't remember what I had my .30-30 zeroed with, 150gr or 170gr. I guess I need to shoot that one too!😁

·
Corps Commander NGV
8,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On the 270 the shot to the right and lower is that the 3rd shot or the 1st in the group? I'll guess 1st. Just wonder if the BBL can't cool in the heat. Don't get me wrong that'll do the job nicely just I'm always curious as to what makes the bullet do what it does.
I have no idea. I was shooting groups with the scopes set to 6x and I don't have a spotting scope. I let the rifle cool between groups some, but fired shots every 20 seconds.

·
Corps Commander NGV
8,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Despite my screenname I live in Social Circle. I have not been to Savannah in 9 years. I was born and raised there and do not miss the gnats and oppressive humidity.
My family land is in South Central Georgia about 80 miles from the Florida line. Heat, humidity, and gnats is what August is about.

·
Corps Commander NGV
8,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Props to you for getting out there and getting it done.

I am born and raised by the southern border in AZ, Well versed in 110 degree plus and working outside.
Had to go to Arkansas for a couple of years. Was told it got hot but meh, what the heck can 95 degrees do to me?
I was again working outside ,every day and well ,,,,, 95 degrees at 90% dang near killed me.
Toss in the bugs ,nats , skeeters and chiggers = some real misery.
Door opened to leave, and I was gone.
We have ticks too. Everything bites or stings. The woods are not fun this time of year. People ask why I don't bow hunt. You couldn't pay me to spend extended time outdoors in September here!

·
Administrator
23,590 Posts
Bow season starts up here 9/15. Early on we can have warm afternoons with skeeters. I will hunt the mornings until we start getting cooler weather usually the end of the month or into Oct. I carry a little bottle of Bens 95% deet for those times I out and so are the skeeters. The biggest problem with the warm weather is if you get a deer down. The excitement melts away real fast.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts