1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one got a Hot Lips?

No, not that one!

This one

The Butler Creek 10/22 speed loader. I picked one up a couple of days ago and it does work, sort of, but not as well as I expected it to. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? It misfeeds (clicks) so often, it's hard to know when the mag is full and what is worse, it's actually dented some of the rounds and caused them to jam in the magazine.

Any ideas/suggestions? BTW - it jammed on the CCI Mini Mags. I've also got some Remington Gold but my mags are full and I don't want to unload them by hand.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have one, and you're right. It isn't 100%. They say it won't work on the standard 10 round rotary, but it does. I don't have the extended mag. so can't comment on that.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have one, and you're right. It isn't 100%. They say it won't work on the standard 10 round rotary, but it does. I don't have the extended mag. so can't comment on that.
Huh, I hadn't heard that it wasn't supposed to work with the 10 rounders. I think it actually works better with it. Maybe because there's fewer chances for it to jam.

I haven't seen another design on the market, though. If it jams that's OK. I can live with that. But denting rounds is NOT good. What if it were to "dent" the primer?!!!:eek:

I think I'm going to call them.

EDIT: I just called them and realized they're a division of Bushnell. Anyway, they're going to send me a new one out to replace it! Pretty cool! They said denting the rounds was definitely not normal.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Huh, I hadn't heard that it wasn't supposed to work with the 10 rounders.
That was stated on the package mine was packed in. But it does work OK. Not perfect, but OK.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will it only work on Butler Creek mags?
Mine kind of worked on BX-25's and my 10 rounder that came with it. But mine dented some rounds. Butler Creek (aka Bushnell) is sending me a new one free of charge because of that. They didn't ask me what kind of mag I was using. I just told them my Ruger 10/22.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Mine kind of worked on BX-25's and my 10 rounder that came with it. But mine dented some rounds. Butler Creek (aka Bushnell) is sending me a new one free of charge because of that. They didn't ask me what kind of mag I was using. I just told them my Ruger 10/22.
Thanks, I have so many 10/22 mags that I can load them at home and not have to reload at the range.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Darn, I just ordered one and I have 8 BR25 Magazines and I am tired of having Ruger thumb.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's the ammunition.

My new Butler Creek speedloader would not work, though I used the Hot Lips 25-rd mags as recommended. Would not load a single round, not one. I figured, well, take the magazine out of the loader and crank the loader, see if the cartridges will actually crank through it and come out the other end. Nope, won't do that either.

On cast plastic parts, there's sometimes a bit of 'flashing' left over on an edge here or there, so I looked to see if some of that might be blocking something. Nope. It just plain wouldn't do the job.

When I load just one cartridge and crank the knob, I can see what's going on: the cartridge won't fit into the notch on the loading wheel.

Here's the problem. When you put in a half-handful of cartridges into the hopper, they fall into this trough in the bottom, nose down, rim up. When the nose of the bullet rides against the bottom of the loading trough, it pushes upward on the cartridge. This pushes the rim of the cartridge higher in the trough. When the cartridge reaches the notched loading wheel, it's sitting too tall. The rim of the cartridge just rides against the side of the loading wheel.

I was using Remington Goldens from a 525-round econo-brick, 36-grain, hollow point, brass plated.

Luckily, I also have a small box of Remington subsonic, 38-grain lead round nose. I tried them, and they work. But only barely. The Golden cartridges measure 0.97" long, and the subsonics measure only 0.968". How's that for a squeaker? That's only a 0.002" difference! (I sure do like my calipers, they're about the handiest tool in the box.)

So it's the ammo, and I'm scrod. I'm all stocked up on the Goldens, and have a working speed loader that will only use what I have nearly none of.

But--mystery solved. It would take Butler Creek no effort at all to make the loader less finicky about ammunition.

By the way, if you found this useful, you might find other useful 10/22 stuff on my web page at bestruger1022 | If these aren't the best Ruger 10/22s, they're certainly the most interesting. Enjoy!

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Nope. Never bothered with anything over 10 round mags and I've never found them too difficult or time consuming to load manually. Even got an 11yo that does it easily.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I loaded several 25 round magazines. Very quick and fast. Problem. Many jams. With the BX 25 it states to hand load. I believe. I hand loaded all magazines and not one jam. Even though I like to load quickly. I hate jams. I will hand load to avoid the future problems. Just my experience. Best of luck with yours.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's the ammunition.

My new Butler Creek speedloader would not work, though I used the Hot Lips 25-rd mags as recommended. Would not load a single round, not one. I figured, well, take the magazine out of the loader and crank the loader, see if the cartridges will actually crank through it and come out the other end. Nope, won't do that either.

On cast plastic parts, there's sometimes a bit of 'flashing' left over on an edge here or there, so I looked to see if some of that might be blocking something. Nope. It just plain wouldn't do the job.

When I load just one cartridge and crank the knob, I can see what's going on: the cartridge won't fit into the notch on the loading wheel.

Here's the problem. When you put in a half-handful of cartridges into the hopper, they fall into this trough in the bottom, nose down, rim up. When the nose of the bullet rides against the bottom of the loading trough, it pushes upward on the cartridge. This pushes the rim of the cartridge higher in the trough. When the cartridge reaches the notched loading wheel, it's sitting too tall. The rim of the cartridge just rides against the side of the loading wheel.

I was using Remington Goldens from a 525-round econo-brick, 36-grain, hollow point, brass plated.

Luckily, I also have a small box of Remington subsonic, 38-grain lead round nose. I tried them, and they work. But only barely. The Golden cartridges measure 0.97" long, and the subsonics measure only 0.968". How's that for a squeaker? That's only a 0.002" difference! (I sure do like my calipers, they're about the handiest tool in the box.)

So it's the ammo, and I'm scrod. I'm all stocked up on the Goldens, and have a working speed loader that will only use what I have nearly none of.

But--mystery solved. It would take Butler Creek no effort at all to make the loader less finicky about ammunition.

By the way, if you found this useful, you might find other useful 10/22 stuff on my web page at bestruger1022 | If these aren't the best Ruger 10/22s, they're certainly the most interesting. Enjoy!
I have the same problem with every ammo I've tried which is only Remington Goldens and CCI mini mags. I've stopped using it since often times it will bend bullets. Pure junk.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Used one for 20 years with minimal problems. They like the plastic lips BC Hot Lips mags best but I've used it on Ruger BX-1's
I've learned to crank it forward then let off and turn it slightly backwards each time. Like rocking it! Forward complete a crank then a half a crank backward then forward again ......and so on.
Works for me and the rest of my shooting buds.
Hope this helps!

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Used one for 20 years with minimal problems. They like the plastic lips BC Hot Lips mags best but I've used it on Ruger BX-1's
I've learned to crank it forward then let off and turn it slightly backwards each time. Like rocking it! Forward complete a crank then a half a crank backward then forward again ......and so on.
Works for me and the rest of my shooting buds.
Hope this helps!
I figured that out and eventually got a couple of BX-25's loaded. But it's still easy to bend bullets. So it's not worth the risk to me. Don't have any mags without steel lips. The 10 rounders are just as easy to load by hand. I rarely reload my BX-25's at the range. I've got four and would like to get a couple more. Just ordered 5 more 10 rounders that should arrive next week.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had one an was never impressed. For me it seemed like shaking it a little helped them load without jamming also don't over fill the loader.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've had one for years. It works OK, but not perfect. It is alot better than loading the mags by hand. I will normaly sit and load all of my mags a home, That way I don't have to worry with loading them while I'm shooting.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've had one for years. It works OK, but not perfect. It is alot better than loading the mags by hand. I will normaly sit and load all of my mags a home, That way I don't have to worry with loading them while I'm shooting.
+1

Loading my mags at home is what I do, too. When things ease up a bit, I plan on getting a few more BX-25's. Right now I have 4 BX-25's, 1 10 rounder and 5 more on order from Ruger. I also have one Hot Lips clear 25 round magazine from Butler Creek. It works worse than the Hot Lips "speed" loader. I've not gotten one round to feed out of it.

My Ruger mags all work great on my 10/22TD. Aside from kind of making my thumbs sore, loading up the mags at home, isn't that bad and it's kind of relaxing.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have to retract part of what I said earlier. My speed loader is a Butler Creek....not Hot Lips. And it was stated on the package that it would not work on the 10 round rotary mags. That is all I have and it does work. It just needs some finesse on the knob.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
i bought one and haven't used it again since my first range trip. had the same issues as described in the OP with the bx25, and i can load the 10 rounders pretty much as fast by hand.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts