Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do believe anyone who is vaguely interested in the history of firearms, is familiar with the Winchester Model 1887 Lever action shotgun designed by John Browning. The reason for that particular gun was the fact that all of the Winchester's firearms were at the time lever action repeating rifles. the only repeating shotgun at the time was the SXS shotgun, that only produced two shots. So a repeating lever action shotgun to go along with the lever action rifle would soon be in the making.

A shotgun that would fire 7 rounds, without reloading was definitely something the big wigs at Winchester wanted In earnest, so naturally they got John Moses Browning to make it a reality; although Browning wanted to make a pump action shotgun at the time, (which he eventually created the 1893 Winchester pump action) he succumbed to there wishes and produced the 1887 Lever Action Shotgun. Made in 10ga. only, however I believe in 1901 the shotgun was re-designed slightly and would shoot the 12ga.

Well naturally I just couldn't sit by and let this creation go by me without, owning one or at least shooting one, however I was soon to find out that not very many made it to this time in history, and fewer were available to shoot. Note: I've shot CAS in the frontier mode, so therefore I do reload BP shot shells, in a SXS with the old mule ears exposed hammers. (a replica)

Well I finally came in contact with a person on another forum, who had bought a replica of the 1883 Lever action shotgun, made in China, what can I say? Anyway he convinced me to purchase one as they were considerably cheap, so naturally I did. It is more or less a cheap replica but it does function properly after I made some necessary alterations. It would be closer to the model 1901 than the 1883 due to it's inner designs. Granted it is a bear to reload, but is a ton of fun to shoot. BTW it comes with a 19" barrel where I'm quite certain the others came with a 30-32' barrel.

DSCN2478.JPG

DSCN2479.JPG

DSCN2481.JPG

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I always thought those were a neat idea.

Would be nice if one of the European outfits or those guys in Turkey would come out with a decent version for a decent price.

·
Super Moderator
4,059 Posts
I have a Chiappa version. I had a well known cowboy gunsmith tune the action for me and it's a real slick shotgun. I cut down the stock and added a recoil pad. No pics immediately handy but I'll try to take a pic tomorrow and post it. I like mine a lot.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I have IAC 12g lever and yes its fun but yes its a pain to reload. A few newer 12 lever addition are about down under as these slide past our gun laws.

Adler Model: A110

Emerald Model: SA12

·
Registered
547 Posts
The Adler A110 range of lever action shot guns is pretty popular down here. Comes in a half dozen different models and a couple of different barrel lengths..12g and .410..

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Bonk, the Chiappi model cost right around or over $1000.00, I paid $300.00 and a little change for mine. Naturally the wood to metal fit was terrible, but I was able to make that fairly decent, and there were a lot of burrs on the inner makings which were easily filed off. Not only that after firing 100 rounds thru it, I could see where the parts were rubbing together, and was able to polish those areas fairly easily. Granted it does take a robust full stroke with that lever to make it cycle correctly. Now with a little practice I can load 7 rounds in that shotgun now, 5 in the tube one in the chamber, and one on the follower. I suppose after all my labor we're about equal in cost.

You fella's from Australia have it pretty rough with your restrictive gun laws over there. I can see where a lever action shotgun could be somewhat advantageous, especially if it is a repeating model. I'm a bit surprised that you are able to even own a firearm that will shoot more than 5 rounds without reloading. BTW can you even take your firearms home with you, or do you still have to keep them at the club?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
You fella's from Australia have it pretty rough with your restrictive gun laws over there. I can see where a lever action shotgun could be somewhat advantageous, especially if it is a repeating model. I'm a bit surprised that you are able to even own a firearm that will shoot more than 5 rounds without reloading. BTW can you even take your firearms home with you, or do you still have to keep them at the club?

yes levers and pump actions are popular down here..
They (long rifles) can stay at home if locked in a approved safe & most States allow 10 round capacity and up 5 or 7? for shotgun. Hand guns im not so sure, i think mostly its as above you just need to belong to a registered pistol/gun club to legitimately own them..

·
Registered
645 Posts
Came across a Winchester model 9410 at my LGS, what a hoot! No recoil on the 410. Smooth bore and will shoot slugs also. Has the walnut stock and TRU-GLO front sight. No box or papers but only $590 out the door. This one is the tang safety model and not the ugly cross bolt safety. Little too early for the changeable chokes. Smooth action and lots of fun at the range shooting clay pigeons. Love the lever action shotgun.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Thanks.

Brought to mind some unsurpassed operational sensory perceptions:

A lever action .30-.30

A break open over and under shotgun.

A single action revolver.

Just my opinion, of course.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
moparclan, those are neat little shotguns, the Winchester .410 lever action, what is unique about the 1887 lever action shotgun is that it was made in 10ga. and then with a few internal changes in 1901 was then offered in 12ga.. Unfortunately or fortunately for the lever action shotgun; John Moses Browning also created the first pump action shotgun, in 1893, and it soon took over for popularity over the lever action shotgun. Thus the lever action shotgun was discontinued in the early 1900's.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Bonk we're still waiting for pictures of that 1887, I do understand those are beautiful replicas of the old west made in Italy. Nice wood and exceptional bluing to boot. BTW I've got a memory like a steel trap.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts