Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have to know! How accurate is your RA cf rifle. I have other Rugers and have been thinking of getting a light weight knock around rifle. Please let me and everyone here know how and what your rifle shoots. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
My American Ranch Rifle shoots into 1-1 1/2" at 100 yards, with a few fliers. I'm trying to develop loads for it, so maybe I,can eliminate the fliers. Fun little rifle.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sold mine (.30-06) that was a gift from Dad. After trying multiple factory loads, nothing I tried was acceptable.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Bought a Ruger American Rifle in .308 Win. last month.. Put a Redfield 3-9 scope on it and took it to the range with Remington 150gr SP and some Winchester 150gr. SP.. Shot only 3 shot groups to keep the barrel from heating up too bad. Besides, who shoots more than three shots at an animal enyhow.. The Remington rounds shot into 1.25 - 1.5" groups at 100 yards, but the Winchesters shot in .75 - 1.0" groups. This was factory load.. I finally got all my reloading stuff for the .308 and am working on some 150 gr and 165 gr. handloads.. Using IMR 4064 powder and CCI primers in W-W cases..

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
715 Posts
My American Ranch Rifle shoots into 1-1 1/2" at 100 yards, with a few fliers. I'm trying to develop loads for it, so maybe I,can eliminate the fliers. Fun little rifle.
My son has a left handed stainless model in .30-06. Getting about the same accuracy. He loves the rifle. It's a good shooter. The only thing is that the barrel heats up after 5-6 successive shots and degrades the accuracy a lot. Once it cools down, it's back to near MOA. Well made rifle for the price.

·
Registered
673 Posts
My M77 Hawkeye (204 Ruger) is OK. I probably should have bought a CZ 527 instead.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have an American 308. I bought some cheap Hornady 150 FMJ for shooting practice. I loaded it over 40 grains of Hodgdon benchmark in some well used Federal Brass.

This was my typical result, averaging about 1 inch at 100 yards. I feel like the gun should get really accurate with optimized loads. But, 1.5 inches with factory loads sounds about right. Barrel heat is a huge issue. I usually quite shooting after 30 to 40 rounds.

·
Registered
40 Posts
With the RA system I think it is the Luck of the Draw. My first RA Preditor in .223 Rem couldn't hit the ground until I replaced the stock, trigger, and lapped the bolt and barrel, then it was a 1 MOA rifle out to about 400 meters. The second one, also in .223 Rem is a tack driver at any distance I can see the target. Get one and enjoy it, if it won't shoot for you, send it back to Ruger and they will fix or replace it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My first American was is a 223 and it shot .75" groups with factory ammo. After replacing the stock and a little trigger work, with hand loads it now shoots 3/8" groups.

I then bought an American Predator 6.5 Creedmoor. Replaced the stock and worked on the trigger before shooting the first bullet. With hand loads it can shoot 1/4" groups when I do my part.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a Predator in .308. I get between 0.75-1.25" at 100 yards with a variety of brands. This is my first high-caliber bolt action and the groups will likely tighten as I improve my technique.

The Predator's heavier barrel doesn't seem to mind heating up as I'll shoot twelve rounds, reload the magazines, then continue. No speed tactical reloading or anything like that, but I definitely don't bother waiting for the barrel to cool. The groups remain consistent. I shoot about 80 rounds at any one sitting.

I almost bought a standard American but read of the accuracy decreasing after five or six shots. For a hunting rifle, that doesn't matter, but I like to shoot paper and held off until the Predator version came out. I'm glad I did, as it's an accurate and durable rifle. Very happy with the results.

·
Registered
700 Posts
My American in .223 gets pretty hot after a few rounds. I usually give it a rest after 20 rounds or so. Accuracy doesn't change too much though.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My American in .223 gets pretty hot after a few rounds. I usually give it a rest after 20 rounds or so. Accuracy doesn't change too much though.
It depends what you mean my accuracy. My POI definitely shifts as the barrel heats. After 30 rounds or so, you can cook an egg on the barrel.

The American is not a range rifle. It is a working rifle and the work is hunting. It can put that one shot where you need it and put meat on the table. I can see preferring a haven't barrel version for range shooting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have an American 308. I bought some cheap Hornady 150 FMJ for shooting practice. I loaded it over 40 grains of Hodgdon benchmark in some well used Federal Brass.

This was my typical result, averaging about 1 inch at 100 yards. I feel like the gun should get really accurate with optimized loads. But, 1.5 inches with factory loads sounds about right. Barrel heat is a huge issue. I usually quite shooting after 30 to 40 rounds.

are you getting these groups with a stock trigger? I am debating whether to get the Timney 1.5lb trigger and pretty sure that will tighten up my groups from present 1.5 inches to sometimes 1 inch. I am shooting .223 PMC bronze

·
Cat Herder
1,637 Posts
My first American was is a 223 and it shot .75" groups with factory ammo. After replacing the stock and a little trigger work, with hand loads it now shoots 3/8" groups.

I then bought an American Predator 6.5 Creedmoor. Replaced the stock and worked on the trigger before shooting the first bullet. With hand loads it can shoot 1/4" groups when I do my part.
With the bullet diameter, I'd be worried if I was competing against someone that they'd claim rounds missed the target.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had my .243 Predator at the range twice and am amazed at the accuracy with my handloads. My deer load is 95gr Nosler BT & H4350; 100yd 5 shot group ~.760".
Same bullet with H4895 had first three shots in a clover leaf with 2 fliers(high wind) spreading it to .86"
Still working on ideal loads, COAL, etc.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had to work a bit to find a good mix but I have a RAP in 6.5 Creedmoor shooting under 1 inch with the best 5 shot being around .6 moa. In my rifle, lighter projectiles work better. 120 gr Hornady Vmax with 40 gr of Varget. Excellent rifle for the price.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I love mine! I have a 308 and a 300 BLK ranch.
this was probably within the first ten shots of my 300! (We reuse targets pretty substantially. Forgive the well used target.)

My first 3 shots were touching. It's not really free floated though! Stock touches on the front left corner... might need to dremel it out.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Shooting my afore mentioned RARR in 5.56 yesterday, I managed to put three in the same hole. Only once, mind you, but this little rifle is a keeper.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts