Ruger Forum banner

How are you dealing with the surge in ammo prices?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are you dealing with the surge in ammo prices? This is a major concern, because, what good are guns if you can't afford to shoot them?

Me, I'm shooting less, and buying some ammo now to keep.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
It's aggravating. My Blazer brass in .357 just went up $1.50 a box. Even bullets for reloading are priced high. It's crazy. I'm hearing it's because of China. :mad:

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Blazer brass at Wallyworld was 9+ per box last year...now it's 14+....I'm still buying,stocking up...the alternative is to be unprepared when they go to 20+ per box....I plan to lay in 100+ boxes...

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I got lots of ammo, and have reloaded for years. Components have went up as much proportionately as ammo, so it is still expensive!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I just shot a hundred rounds yesterday at 21.88 for wwb from walmart. I looked today and they went up to 27.88 a box for .40 s&w. I think my shooting might slow a little. Looks like i will have to shoot the p95 a little more seeing that ammo is still under 20.00 for a hundred of wwb. I love going to the range and its tuff when ammo prices get that high.

jag

·
Registered
505 Posts
Rising prices suck, but you have to have ammo to be able to shoot!! I have started reloading for a couple of my rifles.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've reloaded for years. So, even though there has been an increase in component prices as well, they haven't been as bad as factory ammo. If you aren't a big experimenter, and I'm not, you won't be buying every new thing on the block. For example, in .45 acp I have two loads. One for cast and one for jacketed. Both use the same powder and primer. So when I buy those, I buy in bulk. Another point, if you don't always try to load at or over the max listed in the books (yea, there are people that to it), the brass will last longer. It still wears out, but not as fast.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Just bought about $120 worth of ammo this week. Headed for the range in the morning. Gonna practice with my carry guns then play with .22s.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
well i just watched a report on the tube where silver prices are going to really go up in the next months , korea is using more an more and are demaning large lots of silver , so as everything else look out

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I cut corners else were in order to stock up. I have been reloading for years as well. I plan to have much more. Now this just my opinon but I feel like they have already figured out that they can get our guns so next best think make it so expencive to shoot, you can't afford to do it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Shoot less...

instead of 200 rds, I'll shoot 100 at the range. I buy about the same amount of ammo, but look for deals... SD ammo prices are what they are.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have started looking for sales more on bullets and buying as much as I can when I find a decent deal.

Picked up 300 pieces of .358 148 grain WC for $10.00 at a local shop. Some woman was cleaning up from her late husband and brought a bunch of different bullets, brass and dies in.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I am actually shooting more. Mainly because I bought new guns. I have been looking around more for the cheapest prices on ammo. And I have not been bying the premium ammo just for target practice. I'll just buy practice ammo when applicable to sight in. I'll use half or less of the ammo I'll be hunting with to fine tune my sighting in. I have also been shooting alot of surplus rifles and ammo. Those Russian M44's are fun to shoot and ammo can be found cheap.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just ordered 500 rounds of ammo for my SKS from SG for $107 total. Next year it'll probably be $300+.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I find that instead of shooting .357's at the range, I'll shoot .38's. I get out the 9mm even more. But I guess I shoot the old Mark I the most. You just can't beat a .22lr for practice.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I been buying more supplies as I have been reloading for a few years. I still shoot as much as I want. My price has gone up too it just don't hurt as bad. I am still under 1/2 of what factory reloads are selling for.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts