Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my grandfathers (relatively newish) Ruger 10/22 Rifle. I was cleaning it today and took the trigger assembly apart. I cleaned without grease (have none, a problem I shall fix) and I put everything back together. Now, the slide locks automatically and I can't get it to unlock unless I disassemble the trigger assembly from the barrel assembly. Once that trigger housing bit is removed, the slide snaps back. I couldn't seem to get the slide lock to work again, despite numerous reassemblies in various different ways (turn a spring a little bit, look at how something works, nothing drastic). I eventually removed the slide lock piece (a metal plate) and now the slide works like a dream. I haven't fired it yet though and my questions are:

Is it safe to fire? The slide didn't lock back after the last round before.
How retardedly stupid is what I've done?
How can I fix this so that the slide lock works again? Is it just a matter of oil/grease?

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Why you would disassemble a fairly new trigger assembly is beyond me but if you had to remove something in order to get the slide to work then it would be unsafe to fire in my book. I'd send it back to Ruger and have them correct anything you may have caused.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fairly new meaning bought in 2006 and probably hasn't been cleaned since then. That's why I disassembled. I know someone who is ex-Special Forces and is going to fix what I've done. Until then I don't intend to fire it unless someone breaks into my home.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I second the advice to send it back to Ruger. They will fix it for you for free.

Also, it is not only not necessary totaled apart the trigger assembly, but it's also not recommended.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Buy a BX trigger to replace the old one and your problems will be taken care of and you will have a better trigger pull.

·
Registered
388 Posts
There are several good YouTube videos on the disassembly and assembly of the trigger. Watch a couple and then do a step or two at a time pausing the video as you go.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I would buy the BX trigger plus look on You Tube and watch it a few times to get the idea how to put things back together again. I am only suggesting this if you really need a gun for your home defense, or go buy another gun and send the 10/22 back to Ruger I hear that their CS is very good!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
There are several good YouTube videos on the disassembly and assembly of the trigger. Watch a couple and then do a step or two at a time pausing the video as you go.
This is what I did, was having trouble putting mine together, I had somehow gotten the slide safety out of place.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
And, if I may be so bold, the parts in the trigger group do not need grease. Grease will only cause the parts to attract lint and debris. If it were mine and the trigger group is in pieces, I'd put a few drops of oil on a rag and wipe all the parts down and call it good. If it was assembled and I felt I had to lubricate it, I would use no more than one or two drops of oil and would wipe off the excess.

YMMV :eek:

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,246 Posts
And, if I may be so bold, the parts in the trigger group do not need grease. Grease will only cause the parts to attract lint and debris. If it were mine and the trigger group is in pieces, I'd put a few drops of oil on a rag and wipe all the parts down and call it good. If it was assembled and I felt I had to lubricate it, I would use no more than one or two drops of oil and would wipe off the excess.

YMMV :eek:
I was thinking the same thing. Not only questioning the need to totally tear it down, but also why the need for "grease". :confused: The tiniest bit of oil or a light application of Froglube (my favorite) and I'd leave it alone. It certainly should not be "greasy".

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nobody owns a 10/22 here then. The latch automatically locks back. You need to unlock the tab in front of the trigger, right?
Why hasnt anybody mentioned this!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Nobody owns a 10/22 here then.
Actually.. I own two (2). I just counted again and... yep... there are two of 'em in there.

Anybody else own one... or two?? Lets see a show of hands.

Honestly though friend, I believe your question has been answered above. Links have been posted with the info you need. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Actually.. I own two (2). I just counted again and... yep... there are two of 'em in there.

Anybody else own one... or two?? Lets see a show of hands.

Honestly though friend, I believe your question has been answered above. Links have been posted with the info you need. Welcome to the forum.
I'll be danged just counted, I've got two also:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Very smart! Im glad everyone knows how to count!

Someone posted (on a different thread ) that their smith and wesson revolver had a crack in it. On the right side. Around the seam where the sideplate goes! I was wondering if that was this kind of thread. Sometimes people dont know. Then they look to the internet for advice. .......

That front "tab"on the 10/22 wont release the bolt. It seems simple enough. But sometimes people dont know and nobody mentioned it.

So yea. It seemed like nobody owned a 10/22. Sorry if feathers were ruffled.....

·
Registered
76 Posts
10/22's don't automatically lock the bolt back with an empty mag, or release the bolt forward by just pulling back on the bolt.

To lock, you need to pull bolt back and while holding back press lever at trigger guard in.

To release bolt, pull bolt back and while holding back press the same lever in front of trigger guard, but press it up near the front instead of back, then release bolt.

You can buy (or modify the stock plate) to let it release the bolt by just pulling back on the bolt handle. The "auto bolt release" plates cost about $10

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I tried that and it didn't work. That's why I removed the lock in the first place. Any ideas why it wouldn't unlock? Yes, I was pulling back the bolt when trying to unlock it.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts