Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a used Blackhawk three screw which has the conversion done. Its OK, but I would like to have the firearm in its original design. Does anyone know how this can be accomplished? I do not have the original parts so will need to get them somewhere? etc. Thanks for your help.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,100 Posts
Snake, The conversion has no actual modification to the frame, just a swap of parts. Here's a photo of the internal parts. The parts on the right are for a new model so forget that. The parts in the center are for a converted OM like yours. The parts on the left are what you need: primarily a hammer assembly (includes the hammer plunger, plunger spring, and retaining pin), and a cylinder latch. Your converted trigger will work if you cut the arm for the transfer bar off. The converted base pin will also work as will the cylinder latch spring and pawl. If you want the gun converted exactly the way is was shipped from the factory, you will need the complete kit.

OMBHs are pretty simple to work on .... with the grips off, cock the hammer, place a paper clip in the hammer strut hole, then lower the hammer. This will retain the hammer spring. Remove all 5 grip frame screws then pull the grip frame off from the cylinder frame. Remove the trigger, hammer, and cylinder latch pivot screws then remove the internal trigger, hammer, pawl, transfer bar, cylinder latch, and cylinder latch spring. Install the replacement cylinder latch, latch spring, and pivot screw. Next, install the trigger and its pivot screw. Finally, install the hammer, pawl, and its pivot screw. Connect the grip frame to the cylinder frame, being careful not to kink the spring for the pawl plunger. Guide the hammer strut into the pocket in the hammer. Once the frames are mated, install all 5 screws .... the two longest go on either side of the trigger guard, the two shorter screws go on either side of the hammer and the single shortest screw goes in front of the trigger guard. Cock the hammer and pull the paper clip out. The gun should now be fully assembled and operational.

The hardest part of the whole process is finding a set of original OM parts. You can expect to pay at least $100 for a complete kit. Look on eBay or maybe gun auction sites. Hope this helps???

·
Registered
735 Posts
Snake, yes you can convert it back but you need a set of the original parts. It's been my experience that when Ruger does the conversion (if it comes to them for any reason) typically return the original parts (6 parts) in a clear and red bag. Sometimes you can find them for sale on Ebay, costs around $130 but with patience you can find them cheaper.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Snake, The conversion has no actual modification to the frame, just a swap of parts. Here's a photo of the internal parts. The parts on the right are for a new model so forget that. The parts in the center are for a converted OM like yours. The parts on the left are what you need: primarily a hammer assembly (includes the hammer plunger, plunger spring, and retaining pin), and a cylinder latch. Your converted trigger will work if you cut the arm for the transfer bar off. The converted base pin will also work as will the cylinder latch spring and pawl. If you want the gun converted exactly the way is was shipped from the factory, you will need the complete kit.

OMBHs are pretty simple to work on .... with the grips off, cock the hammer, place a paper clip in the hammer strut hole, then lower the hammer. This will retain the hammer spring. Remove all 5 grip frame screws then pull the grip frame off from the cylinder frame. Remove the trigger, hammer, and cylinder latch pivot screws then remove the internal trigger, hammer, pawl, transfer bar, cylinder latch, and cylinder latch spring. Install the replacement cylinder latch, latch spring, and pivot screw. Next, install the trigger and its pivot screw. Finally, install the hammer, pawl, and its pivot screw. Connect the grip frame to the cylinder frame, being careful not to kink the spring for the pawl plunger. Guide the hammer strut into the pocket in the hammer. Once the frames are mated, install all 5 screws .... the two longest go on either side of the trigger guard, the two shorter screws go on either side of the hammer and the single shortest screw goes in front of the trigger guard. Cock the hammer and pull the paper clip out. The gun should now be fully assembled and operational.

The hardest part of the whole process is finding a set of original OM parts. You can expect to pay at least $100 for a complete kit. Look on eBay or maybe gun auction sites. Hope this helps???
Outstanding reply, thank you very much. I understand exactly what you are saying. I assume that Ruger will not ship any "old" parts to anyone due to liability etc. As you mention, finding a set of parts will be interesting at best.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Snake, yes you can convert it back but you need a set of the original parts. It's been my experience that when Ruger does the conversion (if it comes to them for any reason) typically return the original parts (6 parts) in a clear and red bag. Sometimes you can find them for sale on Ebay, costs around $130 but with patience you can find them cheaper.
Thank you for your help. I have a 3 screw Single Six the Ruger offered to convert and they said the same thing, that all original parts would be returned. I was hoping that the parts might be easier to come by, but it appears that will not be the case.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Outstanding reply, thank you very much. I understand exactly what you are saying. I assume that Ruger will not ship any "old" parts to anyone due to liability etc. As you mention, finding a set of parts will be interesting at best.
Thank you for your help. I have a 3 screw Single Six the Ruger offered to convert and they said the same thing, that all original parts would be returned. I was hoping that the parts might be easier to come by, but it appears that will not be the case.
Is the cyclinder pin interchangeable between old and new models. I see that the NM has a "pin" on the end that is spring loaded. What is the purpose of that pin?

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,820 Posts
Looks like you’re well on your way to getting what you want. The spring loaded tip of the base pin in New Models or converted old models is there to guide the transfer bar over the end of the firing pin. Without it the transfer bar tends to hang up under the firing pin and the gun won’t fully cock unless you tip it up. If you back out your base pin a little you’ll see how it affects the action. It’s an important little part.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like you’re well on your way to getting what you want. The spring loaded tip of the base pin in New Models or converted old models is there to guide the transfer bar over the end of the firing pin. Without it the transfer bar tends to hang up under the firing pin and the gun won’t fully cock unless you tip it up. If you back out your base pin a little you’ll see how it affects the action. It’s an important little part.
So, if I am understanding you correctly, I can use a NMpin in an OM, but not an OM pin in a NM...???

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,100 Posts
Snake, That is correct. The spring loaded pin doesn't do anything in a non-converted OM but it doesn't bother anything either. Both types of base pins are the same length with the lock notch spaced the same. If you end up winning the eBay bid, the kit has an OM base pin included.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Snake, That is correct. The spring loaded pin doesn't do anything in a non-converted OM but it doesn't bother anything either. Both types of base pins are the same length with the lock notch spaced the same. If you end up winning the eBay bid, the kit has an OM base pin included.
Thanks for your help...again!! I have a very good bid in so, I am feeling fairly confident, but one never knows. If iz win, you can guarantee i will be talking to you again!!!!! I already printed you picture of the parts and verbage.....thanks again!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for your help...again!! I have a very good bid in so, I am feeling fairly confident, but one never knows. If iz win, you can guarantee i will be talking to you again!!!!! I already printed you picture of the parts and verbage.....thanks again!
How can you tell if these parts are for a Single-Six or a 357 without a hammer measurement?
If that is a serial number on the bag wouldn't they be for a SS.
The parts will work but aren't hammer heights different?

Just curious.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How can you tell if these parts are for a Single-Six or a 357 without a hammer measurement?
If that is a serial number on the bag wouldn't they be for a SS.
The parts will work but aren't hammer heights different?

Just curious.
Well, we wont be re converting at this point. The parts sold on EBAy for $150.00 which seemed a bit much to me. I had a bid of 148...and as the man once said.."a man's got to know his limitations!" It would have just kept going, so...that is that

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Keep an eye out on eBay and GunBroker. You never know when you'll find a good deal.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Snake, if you want, send me an email and I will sell you complete OM parts kit for your BH at YOUR price and include the shipping to you.............

1 - 18 of 18 Posts