Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to think that I'm the type of person who takes excellent care of all my sporting equipment. I am meticulous about cleaning my fishing reels myself, every winter and my guns are always immaculate and well cared for.

That being said, I have a question regarding the inside of each cylinder of my SP101. I think I know how to clean a revolver and I do so after every range session. However, there appears to still be a "ring" (around the collar? :D) inside each chamber. The rings, although light, appear to be identical to each other. I've tried soaking and scrubbing in Hoppe's and Eezox (the only two cleaners I use), but the rings can still be seen.

Is this normal? Or do I have more work to do inside the cylinder? If so, what steps should I take now, to remove every remnant of these rings? Thanks folks!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,682 Posts
Crestliner, I hear ya ... being totally annal about keeping my guns clean, I do a lot of things that really aren't necessary ... in fact are probably a waste of time to most folks.

Your cylinder holes are shaped where the actual chamber throttles down to the throat. In a 357 Mag, that means the hole diameter goes from about .380" down to .357". When you look into a chamber, you may be seeing a "ring around the collar" or you may be seeing the transition where the diameter changes.

So what if you do see a crud ring? Here's the test ... chamber a cylinder full of 357 Mag cartridges. Point the muzzle up. If the cartridges slide out of the chambers without sticking ... they are clean enough.

Now if you want to take anal lessons from me, get some gray Scotchbrite pads and some Hoppies then scrub the chambers and face until all the residue is gone. That allows me to sleep well until the next time I shoot the gun.

·
Banned
700 Posts
Now that makes sense! Iowagan, where's a good place to get the gray. I see maroon and green from time to time but no gray. I'm assuming gray is ultra fine?

SD

·
16,682 Posts
Song Dawg, The gray 3M Scotchbrite is much finer than the red but more abrasive than the green stuff. The Home Depot type store usually have it in the paint department with sandpaper. It comes in sheets or rolls.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's clean...

Thanks! I'm pretty sure I'm just looking at that throttled down section of each cylinder. After the range today, I cleaned it in Hoppe's, then re-cleaned it with Eezox. Then, after thoroughly drying the insides, I cut a section of "Lead Remover" cloth and pumped that in & out of the chambers quite a few times. I also did your test; and the cartridges fall right out without assistance of any kind. And I have no "raccoon eyes"! I feel relaxed now :D. Until, that is, I go to the range again (at least once per week)!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Follow-up

After my range and cleaning session today - and after reading the above - I decided to try to snap a picture of what I'm looking at:

Hope this clarifies what I mean by "rings"!

·
16,682 Posts
Crestliner, Yes, you do have a slight "stain ring" in the chambers. The top chamber is the most obvious. It looks like the crud was totally cleaned out but left a discolored stain. Not to worry ... it won't hurt a thing nor is it worth the effort to polish it out.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again Iowegan. My cartridges fall out when the cylinder is opened, so I figured it wasn't that bad. I'm a bit disappointed, however, that after only about 300-400 rounds, this "stain", as you put it, has developed. I clean this gun after every range session. Not sure what I could have done/could do to prevent it? Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
842 Posts
I like my guns to be clean enough to work properly but I'm not a fanatic about it. The cylinder end stains on revolvers(not the sides) or the chambers as long as there's no crud, are left as is most times. For most of my cleaning and lubes, I like Shooters Choice grease, Hoppes no 9, Breakfree CLP and 3 and 1 or similar light oil. Another thing, I believe a lot of people over lube guns. I believe in keeping guns lubed, but sparingly:)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After my range session yesterday (110 rds. fired) I had some pretty tough cylinder fouling. Finished firing off the last the heavy load .357's, with the semi-wad cutter lead bullets. I soaked the cylinder in Shooter's Choice Bore cleaner for about 1/2 hour, partially submerged and rotated every 10 minutes to make sure each cylinder was thoroughly soaked. This stuff is like syrup! The clinging aspect I like.

Then I took a wire brush, put it on my electric drill on low speed, and gave each cylinder about a 30 second spin as I moved the brush slowly in & out. Boy, is that cylinder clean! Almost brand new. I think I've found my new cleaning technique! Appears to have removed the stain I showed you earlier as well.

I didn't use this technique with the bore however. I was afraid too much brushing there would not be good for the rifling. A few strokes with the hand brush and several swabs later and it looked pretty good too.

To sum things up, I think I've got this cleaning job down pat now :) Thanks all! :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
I thought I was bad

I thought I was bad.

I feel so much better now.

You're just a freak... like me! ( to quote a movie line )

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've been using the same soak, drill with brush method as Crestliner, for over a year now. It works really well and it's really fast. I don't actually soak though, I swab the cylinder with some Slip 2000 Carbon Killer. The carbon killer is really good stuff, I highly recommend it.
Kevin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts