Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been offered a smoking deal on a New Model Blackhawk in .41 Magnum...only problem is that it's missing the ejector rod & it's spring.

I'm a pretty handy guy & know my way around a tool set, drill press, grinder, etc. --- I have had no problem fabricating obsolete parts for a vintage motorcycle that is my daily rider.

Is this a slip-on job, or if not, something that I can handle without a gunsmithing-specific skills set?
Are any parts, other than the rod & spring, involved?

Any & all help, suggestions, tech tips & advice will be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I would suggest downloading the PDF for that model Blackhawk from the Ruger website. That will give you the schematic of what parts you need to replace.
Once that's done, you can go to gunpartscorp.com and see what they have available.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found the parts at Brownell's, it's just the difficulty of the work involved that's got me wondering.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
If the housing screw is intact and there aren't any stripped threads it should be a straight disassemble/reassemble job. My son-in-law had a 357 Blackhawk that decided to eject the entire assembly during a range session. I got it home and inspected it and found that the housing screw had simply backed out. I ordered a replacement screw as we weren't able to find it out on the range, thoroughly cleaned all of the other parts, added a drop of blue locktite to the replacement screw and it's held ever since.
Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rollurown65, I followed your advice & went to scope out the exploded view in the user manual.

Other than the ejector housing & it's screw, it appears that all I'll need is the rod & spring --- although I'm going to replace the screw anyway, just to be sure. :D :D :D

BTW, blue Loctite can be very your best friend when working on old machines tht tend to vibrate hard enough to shake the fillings from one's teeth.
Ask me how I know this... ;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Good, I hope it works out and you end up with a sweet runnin' Blackhawk.
Blue LocTite has saved the day for me more times than I can count. :)

Broncodude: The ejector is located on the right side of the Blackhawk, it's what's used to knock the empty cases out with.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Reading this thread has been like hearing fingernails on a chalkboard. It's really much simpler than this thread makes it seem.

The ejection system on a Ruger SA is comprised of the Ejector rod, ejector rod spring, ejector rod housing, and housing screw. All of these parts are readily available through Midway, Brownells, or even just by calling Ruger...

If you call Ruger and tell them that you bought this gun without those parts, they'd likely send them to you for free.

The only place you can get in any issue with replacing an Ejection System on a Ruger SA is if you have a blued revolver, in which case most of the aftermarket parts will be in the white. Not a big deal, but an added cost to blue them to match. If stainless, then no issue at all.

It literally should not take you more than 2 minutes to replace the entire system on your revolver.

If you want it to fit perfectly/seemlessly - which is better than it would have been as it left the factory - shoot me a PM and I'll walk you through the steps for fitting the ERH.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reading this thread has been like hearing fingernails on a chalkboard. It's really much simpler than this thread makes it seem.

The ejection system on a Ruger SA is comprised of the Ejector rod, ejector rod spring, ejector rod housing, and housing screw. All of these parts are readily available through Midway, Brownells, or even just by calling Ruger...

If you call Ruger and tell them that you bought this gun without those parts, they'd likely send them to you for free.

The only place you can get in any issue with replacing an Ejection System on a Ruger SA is if you have a blued revolver, in which case most of the aftermarket parts will be in the white. Not a big deal, but an added cost to blue them to match. If stainless, then no issue at all.

It literally should not take you more than 2 minutes to replace the entire system on your revolver.

If you want it to fit perfectly/seemlessly - which is better than it would have been as it left the factory - shoot me a PM and I'll walk you through the steps for fitting the ERH.
Varminterror, you were ABSOLUTELY correct, sir.

I just got off the phone with Ruger --- they're sending me a blued ejector rod, spring & housing nut FREE OF CHARGE!!!

WOW, talk about customer service. :D :D :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They just called me back from Ruger --- they're throwing in a whole blued ejector rod housing just in case mine is gouged, scoured, or damaged in any way.

I am SO impressed!

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
To be honest, it surprises me every time I call them how many free parts they're willing to send. I work on a lot of Rugers - usually meaning I have come cockamamy (sp?) idea for how to tear one apart and make something "unique".

I call them, fully intending to pay full price for parts, and they end up sending them to me for free! I've bought a lot of parts from them over the years too, but most of the time, they offer to send them for free before I even ask what they cost!

Ruger's a damned good company to work with for customer service, plain and simple. When people post threads how Ruger screwed them over, I'm much more prone to believe that they either failed to ask or they had absolutely unrealistic expectations. Ruger tends to go the extra mile and bend over backwards and all of those other cliche' things that people say about great customer service that are usually unrealized buzz words...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Varminterror, I got all of the parts from Ruger today (ejector rod, spring, two screws & ejector rod housing).

If you're still willing, I'd like to take you up on your gracious offer to walk me through the replacement process.
I couldn't figure out how to PM you, so I'm posting my request here instead.

I'm eager to learn as much about these great single-actions as I can.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the Ruger ERH on my .357 Magnum Blackhawk yesterday, as it's the only one that uses the screw that threads onto the barrel.
I massaged it a bit beforehand, as per Varminterror's suggestions for better fit & functionality, and it all came together easy as pie. ;) ;) ;)

This weekend I move on to upgrading the other two Blackhawks & the Super Blackhawk with the threaded studs on the barrels to steel ERHs...

I found a great source for these from a gunsmith:
Ruger Ejector Housing Old Model Blackhawk Steel Blue New Gun Parts | eBay

...and the all-important narrower thread/larger cap (1/4") screw for the housing:
Ruger Ejector Housing Screw Old Model Blackhawk Single Six Revolvers Free SHIP | eBay

1 - 14 of 14 Posts