Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brand new "takedown 10/22" is my first firearm, and like a new parent, I'm very cautious about doing anything bad to my new baby. :D After shooting at the range a couple of times, I decided that it's not just me, but that I need to adjust my iron sights so that the point of impact at 25 yards is 2 or 3 inches to the left.
So, I carefully read the "sight adjustment" page in the instruction manual for Ruger 10/22 autoloading rifles, (and it appears to be the manual for several different models.)
When it comes to the sights adjustment it almost begins with, "Looosen the screws only slightly..."
But there's only ONE screw on my rear site! :confused:
Someone at the range said, "Don't worry about all that. Just tap the rear site in the middle of the bottom right side a couple of times with something." :eek:
I don't want to hit my lovely new rifle anywhere with anything!:)
But is that really what I should do? :confused:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Loosen the rear sight screw just enough to move it, but still has a little resistance. Move it in the direction you want the Point Of Impact to move. Tighten it back up and give it a shot. Repeat as necessary.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Before you do it, though, you may want to try some different kinds of ammo. It's possible that different brands could behave differently. Also, try to make sure you're not pulling the gun when you shoot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
10-22 sight adjustment

Generally speaking what you were told is correct. You will need t tap the sight over to the left or right depending on where you want the round to hit. You want to move the rear sight in the direction that you want the bullet impact to move. If you are hitting to the left move the sight to the right.
Thing is you don't want to hit the rear sight with anything harder than the sight is. NO STEEL a 1/4" brass or aluminum rod/flat punch works well. you may get brass or aluminum on the sight but not a dent and the color will rub off. You don't have to move the sight very much so go slow and test fire as you go, assuming your are shooting somewhere where you can work on the gun and shoot. Remember to clear the weapon each time before try to move the sight.

Now here is a question that just came up in my mind. On the take downs should the barrel be removed before tapping the sight so as not to affect the barrel lock up??

·
Registered
159 Posts
Clutch, congratulations on your acquiring a neat, fun little rifle. Before you change anything on your sights, be sure to do two things:

1. follow the instructions on page 14 of the owner's manual to make sure that the barrel is tightened properly to the receiver. Proper tightening is necessary for consistent point of impact.

2. After assembling the rifle, cycle the bolt by hand 2-3 times, letting it snap forward under spring pressure without "riding" the handle, to ensure the barrel is bedded into the receiver. This is also specified in the owner's manual as something to do every time you assemble it.

Once you have the rifle adjusted and develop your shooting technique so that you are shooting consistent 5-shot groups of less than 1" in size at 25 yards, you can look at adjusting the sights. The advice in a post above about loosening the rear sight screw is good only for elevation adjustment (up-down). For windage adjustment, you do have to drift the rear sight base with a plastic or brass punch. Do not worry about the rifle - these materials will not damage the sight or the barrel in any way. Use several light taps on the dovetailed sight base rather than one big whack, increasing impact just until the sight moves a bit. There are no markings to measure this adjustment, it's just trial-and-error. To move the impact to the left, move the rear sight to the left.

Since this is your first firearm, I strongly recommend that you take an Appleseed course to develop your skills: Project Appleseed Home. It's the best bargain in marksmanship training in the galaxy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts