Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a new SR 1911 from guns.com and now have all the paper done for registration etc.. My problem is that I'm having a hell of a time being able to pull the slide back.. If I don't pull back the hammer first, there is NO way I'll get the slide back.. There's no way I can simply put my thumb and first finger of my right hand on the slide grooves and pull the slide back. What I have to do just to work the action is to use my left hand on the slide after I pull back the hammer and work the slide back and forth..
My question is what the hell can I do to loosen the action so this old man can safely use this gun ? Is it a matter of just blowing rounds through it, or can I use something like a diamond paste to loosen the action.. Any help would be appreciated ! You can e mail me at [email protected] because I'll probably forget how to get back here .. Thanks ..

·
Registered
157 Posts
I bought 2 spare stock springs for mine from Ruger. And IIRC they are 18#.
I’m 66 years old and have no difficulty racking it whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
325 Posts
Make sure it's cleaned/degreased and lubed properly.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Clean and inspect then shoot it. That will loosen the recoil spring up.
Also look on line for ways to rack a pistols slide. Some ways are easier than others.

·
Registered
593 Posts
+1 on shoot it. It may still be too difficult even after running a bunch of rounds through it. Just the nature of the beast.

If you go the route of changing to a lighter spring, IMHO, familiarize yourself with the pros and cons of such a change.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
If you arent familiar with guns or a gunsmith dont use any polishing compounds or polish anything. Shoot the snot out of it. I've never seen a normal 1911 that was difficult to cycle the slide.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
On occasion, I do get bouts of arthritis in my hands and it does pose some real problems racking the slides on my 1911s. One thing that does help when this happens is to use a piece of soft leather or section of inner tube over the slide when I try to rack it. It does improve the grip for me on the slide.

Also note that there are several techniques for racking the slide. Go to youtube to see some of them. Doesn't have to be the traditional slingshot method.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Lots of good information for you jcavala. I'll add 1 thought, pertaining to kinesiology. I too am getting weaker in the hands, my Shield is a marvelous sidearm, but I have to really work at the slide rack even after lots of use. Try this: instead of pulling the slide back try to hold the slide and shove the frame forward. You may have more leverage with the strong hand pushing than the weak hand pulling. YMMV

-jb

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks.. I got a tip from another guy. He said I should hold the slide with my left hand and push the gun forward instead of trying to push the slide . It worked like a charm, even with the hammer at rest in the safe position.. Thanks ..
If you arent familiar with guns or a gunsmith dont use any polishing compounds or polish anything. Shoot the snot out of it. I've never seen a normal 1911 that was difficult to cycle the slide.
Back in my Marine Corps days, my TO weapon was the 1911 A1 and I never had any problem racking the slide.. Of course, I was almost 60 years younger !!

·
Registered
21 Posts
The recoil spring considered standard today for a .45 1911 is a 16 pound spring. The spring originally specified by Browning was probably a 14 to 15 pound spring, as it was described by coil thickness not pounds. A slightly lighter spring would help with racking the slide, however I have no idea what spring Ruger uses for the main (hammer) spring.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Please be sure to thoroughly clean the gun and lube it before the first use. This will help as well.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Thanks.. I got a tip from another guy. He said I should hold the slide with my left hand and push the gun forward instead of trying to push the slide . It worked like a charm, even with the hammer at rest in the safe position.. Thanks ..

Back in my Marine Corps days, my TO weapon was the 1911 A1 and I never had any problem racking the slide.. Of course, I was almost 60 years younger !!
Just what I was about to suggest. It is called the overhand method vs the slingshot method. For those who are not familiar with it:
1. Take a normal grip with your shooting hand, making sure you stay away from the trigger
2. Grip the serrations on the slide with the offhand with the palm of your hand on one side and all 4 finger pads on the other; make sure there is clearance for the rear sight to pass under the "arch".
3. Holding the gun with the offhand, push the frame forward until it stops, then release your offhand. As always, make sure the gun is pointed in a safe direction throughout the process.

Rather than going to a lighter spring, consider converting to a flat wire spring. This will make racking the slide a little easier without increasing the wear and tear on the gun; plus they last a lot longer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
just bought a new SR 1911 from guns.com and now have all the paper done for registration etc.. My problem is that I'm having a hell of a time being able to pull the slide back.. If I don't pull back the hammer first, there is NO way I'll get the slide back.. There's no way I can simply put my thumb and first finger of my right hand on the slide grooves and pull the slide back. What I have to do just to work the action is to use my left hand on the slide after I pull back the hammer and work the slide back and forth..
My question is what the hell can I do to loosen the action so this old man can safely use this gun ? Is it a matter of just blowing rounds through it, or can I use something like a diamond paste to loosen the action.. Any help would be appreciated ! You can e mail me at [email protected] because I'll probably forget how to get back here .. Thanks ..

·
Registered
19 Posts
The first thing is hold the slide with your left hand and then push the frame with your right hand. The 1911 has never been gun you could cycle with 2 fingers on the slide. Dry fire it, and shoot it, and the stiffness will go away.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you need a handi-racker, I consider watching a youtube (I'm sure there's one) showing you how to rack a slide on the back of your shoe. The same technique you use if you only have one hand available, I did loose the use of my left arm once this does work.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I'm 75 years young and shoot a Ruger CMD quite a bit. The slide is hard to rack, harder than any other 1911 or Commander I own. It's still doable. I replaced the original spring with a new Ruger spring after several thousand rounds, still hard to rack, just cock the hammer and rack it. I don't like the idea of lighter than standard springs in a 1911.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts