Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could a few of you out there give me some direction on who to talk to to improve accuracy and consistence for my #1?

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NC. Lots of good info on here. Probably the first question is do you reload? If so you’ll be able to do a lot by finding a bullet weight and load that your gun likes.

·
Registered
264 Posts
jigman -
Which #1 do you have?
What calibre?
Do you reload your ammunition?
Really need more information to be of help to you.

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
What exactly do you have, ammo you are using, what kind of accuracy are you getting and what is your expectation?

There are some standard tricks like floating end of the quarter rib if it has one, floating the barrel/spacing the forend, various pressures on the barrel, as well as kid development, but need more info please.

BTW, welcome from Michigan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
Jigman, The #1's are some beautiful rifles, but accuracy has always been hit or miss. Reloading for the #1 is paramount regardless of caliber. Here's a link for some things that you can do yourself. Granted it's a little dated but the tricks are still the same.

Accuracy Tips For The Ruger #1 | RVB Precision

·
Premium Member
2,966 Posts
Welcome from California’s High Desert and to the forum. Reloading is a must for contestant accuracy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your input, I greatly appreciate all of your suggestions and support! Yes I do reload, haven’t started reading for my No. 1 yet but I’m going to eventually. My rifle is a 1978 No. 1B in 7mm and when I bought it, it had never been fired. I did some work on the forearm so I could maintain good clearance from the end of it all the way to the mounting screw. I’ve taken it out 4 different times in varying temperatures and so far and I’m holding a 2 inch shot group at 170 yards. I’m using factory 139 GR. Hornady ammunition. I’m looking forward to Reloading with some Burger Bullets of various bullet weights and possibly some Hornady as well. Thank you all for your input and help. I am looking forward to reading more from you all in the future.

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
Jigman, don’t overlook the Nosler’s 150gr Accubond’s. I’ve had excellent results with them. Good luck.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Two inch groups at almost 200 yards would be good for me. My 1976 Ruger is caliber 22-250 with a redfield (old model from 1976) 3-9x accurange scope. It was good to go out of the box.

·
Registered
182 Posts
IF your rifle is a 7x57 and not a 7mm Rem Mag, you may find that original barrel to have a long throat, and you will have to purchase 160 to 175 grain bullets and seat them out to the SAAMI maximum. Less 'jump' better accuracy.

What shot well (140 gr. Noslers) in a sadly-departed '#1A black pad' 7x57 from the early '90s, patterns around 5 inches in a '76 'red pad'.
Only 175gr shoot well in that '76 #1A.

My rifle is a 1978 No. 1B in 7mm and when I bought it, it had never been fired.

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
IF your rifle is a 7x57 and not a 7mm Rem Mag, you may find that original barrel to have a long throat
I haven’t found a Ruger that didn’t have an excessive amount of freebore and I have quite a few. The only exception being my RPR.

Since it is a #1 he can throw SAAMI specs out the window and chase the lands for accuracy. Nosler’s Accubond and Hornady’s ELD-X line provide enough shank to facilitate that.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have a 1977 No. 1-A in 7x57 and from what I have read/found out over the years is that the throat was longer when it was first chambered in that caliber due to the more common round being the 175 gr military cartridge. I did the rubber washer between the forearm hanger and barrel and that increased my accuracy quite nicely. It is not a tack driver, but I have yet to miss any animal I have shot with it.

Here is a link for an article from 1999 that addresses accuracy tips for the No. 1:

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
Here is a link for an article from 1999 that addresses accuracy tips for the No. 1
That looks like the same link I put up five months ago.
:p

·
Registered
186 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
1st thing I would do is disassemble the action and do a detailed cleaning followed by lubrication and re-assembly.
If your rifle is as old as you say it is - the action still has (by this time "mummified) factory goop in it. the difference in the trigger may surprise you!
next for just a few bucks try a hicks unit - you can get them at brownells and/or ea brown..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts