Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have been carrying for the last 6 months, I carry a Sr40c. My wife came to me and said she also would like to carry also,we have both taken required classes as well as additional classes. my wife has shot my 40 but it is to much for her, she is small 115lb maybe? how do I pick the right cal and style? semi-auto or wheelgun? carry location purse or person? Look forward to hearing from you thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You should not choose the right carry arm for her, she should make the choice. Would you want her to choose your carry for you?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Really the best thing you can do is to take her somewhere you can rent or borrow several different models. I recently rented an sr9c and a sig p239, i really liked both, i leaned towards the sr9c for capacity and because i already have an sr9 that i use for idpa and plinking, so that safety is just muscle memory to hit it when i draw it. My girlfriend does not like the trigger on striker fired pistols and she shot exceptionally well with the p239. I got to write a bigger check than expected that day.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see your point. Well, we have been married 30 yrs I guess I can trust her when I say here's the checkbook buy what you like!!!!

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
You might want to look at a SR9c. Very similar to SR40c. Smaller grip. Less recoil. Great trigger. See if you can find one and let her hold it. Even better, let her fire it. I feel she would be very happy.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
You should not choose the right carry arm for her, she should make the choice. Would you want her to choose your carry for you?
Can we assume both of you have your concealed carry license? If so, then the advice quoted above is supported plus 1. The 40 is "snappy" in felt recoil for many folk. The 9mm is much less so, and there are a ton of very good 9mm autos out there. However, make sure your wife tries out the revolvers like the LCR .38 and the SP101. My wife likes weight, handling and recoil of the LCR in .38.

·
Banned
402 Posts
There is no one way carry, there are times that will require different methods, it's a fact of life in the carry world, goes for men also. If the 40 is to much for her, try and give her the opportunity to shoot some lesser calibers, let HER decide what she is comfortable with.
Then let her pick the pistol, stay in the background, for that matter give her the plastic and stay in the car. When she comes out tell her what a great gun she picked out and how it brings out her hair color, and does wonders for her figure.
trying to say > ( don't think like a guy ) <
I have never been in favor of purse carry, fanny pack yes, but a purse can easily be taken from the shoulder, forgotten someplace, or left in a vehicle.
At 115 pounds a belt carry or sorts would work, but with women a lot depends on how they dress and how comfortable they are. A small frame 38+P revolver would be a thought.
An get her trained gettin it--strapping it on--and shooting 200 rounds don't mean your ready to defend anything.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
Revolver is simpler in operation and takes less thought under stress; technically more dependable, too. But, many ladies are more "mechaically minded" and do fine with a pistol. I would leave that preference to her, and let her pick her own gun.

Best if you have a way to try different types of guns before she buys. Friends guns, or range rentals

I carry a LCR-357 revolver loaded with .38 Specials. Most ladies would also find that a manageable combination.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
She should definately try some out at the range and get an idea of what she's most comfortable with.

·
Registered
596 Posts
my advise let her choose. Unless there are a few more firearms you want. Then when she does not like it, you already own it so it is a win for you.
After several attempts at trying to find my wife an EDC she settled on the Beretta PX-4 Storm compact the rotating barrel really trims the perceived recoil

·
Registered
164 Posts
I really thought I could pick out my wife's gun for her. I did finally get it right after 4 tries, but it would have been cheaper and easier to take her to a range first. Just in case she is significantly recoil sensitive, I would narrow it down to these for a first go round:

SR9c (My wife can not rack the slide on mine)

LCR in.38sp (My wife could not take the recoil)

Bersa .380 (Less recoil than an LCP due to the extra weight)

SP101 (try .38 specials in the .357 model)

SP101 in .327 Fed Mag (She can practice with .32 S&W longs (feel like .22LR in this model), and can shoot .32H&R magnums if the .327s are too stout for her). This is the one my wife finally chose. It may be my favorite gun as well. It's a 6 shot, so decent for a fairly small revolver. This is a 3" barrel, so concealed carry is more challenging than the LCR. It kicks way way less than the LCR, which is what won my wife over.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I would have to agree with most of the others here. She will have to choose, try a few and see what feels good in the hand. Different carry positions and body dimensions will allow different size firearms.

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
You should not choose the right carry arm for her, she should make the choice.
This is a smart man. :D :D

In her shopping, shooting search don't overlook the LCP. There're lots of links here on the forum about them. Perhaps compare it to the LC9 and the LCR.

Good luck and have fun your search. After 30 years you've probably developed a lot of compatibility in your tastes so the experience should be fun for both of you. :)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
You wouldn't pick out her shoes for her, would you? All the above advice about her trying out as many types/calibers as possible, then having her choose what she is comfortable with and likes is sound council. You might also find that "her" guns multiply like her shoes do. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, you might like to borrow her guns as opposed to her shoes.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Frogdude,

Like many others have siad you don't make the choice.

TYake her to the range where she can try mutliple models and different ammo. Two guns my wlfe and daughter both like to shoot and we are considering for carry for wife are the Ruger SR9c for her purse.

She has also liked the S&W Bodyguard .380. it is smaller then the SR9c but in my opinion it kicks a little more when fired but that is my opinion.

The best experiecne I can share is take her to the range and let her experiment with many guns and ammo to find what feels best for her.

Good luck.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Frog, another comment.

After your trip to the range if she finds somehting she likes, take a few days and then go back and have her shoot the top two guns again and see if she stiull have the same results and likes them in the same order again.

I have had a few folks that on the 2nd trip decided they liked a different weapon more.

Just an idea to make sure you have a happy carring wife.

·
Super Moderator
21,481 Posts
Let her pick. Take her to a range that rents handguns and let her try several, both semi auto's and revolvers. I am a revolver person so I believe the small revolver is the safest and easiest to operate but probably the hardest to hit the target with. At belly gun range however hitting isn't a huge issue.

·
Registered
81 Posts
A lot of good comments from everyone. I agree let her try out semi autos and wheelguns both. My wife has both and carries them both in a variety of ways. She is also one heck of a good shot. Loves to shoot.

·
Registered
358 Posts
As most everyone else has suggested, she needs to make the choice. Hopefully she will want your feedback, but in the end it needs to be "hers".

1 - 20 of 40 Posts