Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of a misleading title, but my long time employer who was always neutral (as far as I could surmise) about CCWs, came out and officially banned carrying firesrms at work. Firearms can be secured in your vehicles when in the parking lot only.
I would normally carry my LCP everyday in my front pocket just for it's concealability, but now I'm thinking about taking one of my larger firearms (Shield or even full size M&P).
Outside of work I always carry OWB at 3-4 o'clock, but taking my firearm in a pancake holster, loosening my belt, sliding it on, adjusting, and finally tightening the belt all while standing out in the parking lot is a bit of a pain and draws some attention to myself.
I've recently picked up an Azula clip on holster for my Shield that is really easy to get into position and clip on, but it doesn't quite cinch down like a pancake holster. I put it on for the first time yesterday while out at lunch and it worked, but I felt that the gun was really sticking out further than I was comfortable with. I have a Shield pocket holster, but I find the Shield is too bulky to stuff into a pocket.
Sorry for the long winded post, but what do you guys do in similar situations?

·
Registered
SR22 and Security 9
125 Posts
I'm currently test-driving the Elite Survival Systems Discreet Carry Pouch found on ShopRuger.com:
Luggage and bags Bag Rectangle Musical instrument accessory Event

It's carried OWB and obviously not for quick draw because it hides the hardware completely and discreetly.

It holds my Security 9C perfectly and looks like a benign fanny pack.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm currently test-driving the Elite Survival Systems Discreet Carry Pouch found on ShopRuger.com:
View attachment 173562
It's carried OWB and obviously not for quick draw because it hides the hardware completely and discreetly.

It holds my Security 9C perfectly and looks like a benign fanny pack.
I like the belly poach or man purse. Something that looks almost feminist that would not cause anyone to think it is a gun. The item shown here with the ruger tag is nice but a dead give away. Carry your wallet, keys and so on in it and people will see you going in and out of it for those things and not think there is also a gun in there.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
You can always remove the gun only and keep the empty holster on your belt. I have a lock box cabled to a seat post in my car for that purpose. You can also decide to carry against policy but do so at your own risk. We had a guy that got fired a few yeas ago that got caught but that was out of stupidity.

I had conversations with my boss and said if I decide to carry against policy that's on me. If I conceal carry properly no one will be the wiser. You would have to see it or know for a fact it's on me you can't legally search me. I also said if I feel the need to carry I will. I can either lose my job or lose my life one I can replace one I can't.

·
Administrator
23,510 Posts
I pocket carry and have a Lock-er-down console safe in my truck. I can get out of the truck, put the firearm and holster in the safe and lock very inconspicuously. I usually just carry though as very few places are off limits up here.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I retired from AT&T in '04. Their Code of Conduct expressly forbade firearms on company premises, and was grounds for immediate dismissal. The parking garage was considered an "extension of the workplace." I took it very seriously, wasn't about to roll those dice.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can always remove the gun only and keep the empty holster on your belt. I have a lock box cabled to a seat post in my car for that purpose. You can also decide to carry against policy but do so at your own risk. We had a guy that got fired a few yeas ago that got caught but that was out of stupidity.

I had conversations with my boss and said if I decide to carry against policy that's on me. If I conceal carry properly no one will be the wiser. You would have to see it or know for a fact it's on me you can't legally search me. I also said if I feel the need to carry I will. I can either lose my job or lose my life one I can replace one I can't.
I've thought about doing this. Just wear an empty holster and holster the firearm once I go to the car.
I suppose I could just keep the LCP and slide it in the pocket like I always have, but was thinking this unfortunate decision by my employer might turn into an opportunity to pack my bigger guns.

I've also considered keeping a lightweight, short sleeve, button up cover garment in the car and throwing it on to help cover the print when using that clip on Azula holster. Might work. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Kind of a misleading title, but my long time employer who was always neutral (as far as I could surmise) about CCWs, came out and officially banned carrying firesrms at work. Firearms can be secured in your vehicles when in the parking lot only.
I would normally carry my LCP everyday in my front pocket just for it's concealability, but now I'm thinking about taking one of my larger firearms (Shield or even full size M&P).
Outside of work I always carry OWB at 3-4 o'clock, but taking my firearm in a pancake holster, loosening my belt, sliding it on, adjusting, and finally tightening the belt all while standing out in the parking lot is a bit of a pain and draws some attention to myself.
I've recently picked up an Azula clip on holster for my Shield that is really easy to get into position and clip on, but it doesn't quite cinch down like a pancake holster. I put it on for the first time yesterday while out at lunch and it worked, but I felt that the gun was really sticking out further than I was comfortable with. I have a Shield pocket holster, but I find the Shield is too bulky to stuff into a pocket.
Sorry for the long winded post, but what do you guys do in similar situations?
Get a snap on holster. No need to remove the belt, but yet it still holds the holster very secure. I do not trust clip on holsters.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I retired from AT&T in '04. Their Code of Conduct expressly forbade firearms on company premises, and was grounds for immediate dismissal. The parking garage was considered an "extension of the workplace." I took it very seriously, wasn't about to roll those dice.
Depends on state law. Texas specifically allows keeping a gun locked in the car in the parking lot. Company bans do not trump this state law. No idea if other states have similar laws.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Find a new employer. No, seriously. Find a new employer.

An LCP is a very, very easy gun to carry. If no one knows that you carry a gun no one will ever 'see' it.

There are lots of rules in life. I figure most of those are for intended for 'other people'. Courthouses, schools and federal buildings are about the only place I won't carry. I guess you can add any place with metal detectors, too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you need your employer more than they need you, you dance their dance.

If they need you more than you need them, you don't.

If you belong to a union, have the union demand your employer have a suitable plan for when some nut job goes to their car, comes back with their gun and starts shooting up the joint.

I can't tell you what you should do. I can only tell you what I do.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I work in the field w a safety vest on 90% of the time, so I can carry and no one is the wiser. I haven't had to go into the office on a regular basis since before the Chinese Wuhan flu, which I wasn't carrying then. If I wore my regular garb minus the vest I could easily do an LCP Max in my leg pocket.

If I get into casual dress now it's a little more challenging. I have always pictured myself retiring from my present company, but recently I have divorced myself from that prospect as more wokeness is accepted.

The wife and I are debt free minus the house and we have an emergency fund in place. If I get fired, I will find employment elsewhere. Unless they guarantee my personal safety 100% they have crossed the line when telling me how I should protect myself.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Since I also jog every day I am now comfortable with running, or going places with a fanny pack. At first it felt a little strange, but now after about 15 years it works. I also place my gun in a small sleeve inside the pack as I learned quickly that the up and down affect would wear blue off quickly. A bit slow to the draw, but at least I have it on me. Lots of choices with these packs. Since my sweat wears them out quickly I buy cheap and replace often. If I were not running with it, I would opt for a higher quality model.

·
Registered
81 Posts
This look (fanny pack) is easier to pull off if you go full blown boomer! :p

Anyone younger can carry a bigger gun and 100+ rounds in a back pack no one will notice. 🤷‍♀️

·
Super Moderator
6,139 Posts
It’s a hard one. I have been in that position, and it’s got to be up to each person to weigh the risks. Honestly, I have had great luck with clips. I carry every day including at work and while I carry IWB in an alien gear cloak tuck (2.0 maybe?) and the clips go under the belt and hold securely. One other thing with clips is, at least on most I have seen, if you ever have an issue, they are usually easy to replace. Honestly, with another gun, I tried one of the Azula holsters and I wasn’t super impressed. It was serviceable enough, but left me a bit wanting in terms of gun fit and retention.

One interesting law theory I have heard, and have not fully vetted, is that if an employer/store/anyplace that might attempt your ability to control your own safety, they are taking that responsibility upon themselves and could potentially have liability if an event were to occur. Might be something to keep in the back pocket for a discussion, not as a threat, but more to bring it up to get a company thinking about that as they evaluate policy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
They never "think" or "evaluate" anything but what the Suits believe makes them look good and keeps the Usual Suspects out of their hair.

It’s a hard one. I have been in that position, and it’s got to be up to each person to weigh the risks. Honestly, I have had great luck with clips. I carry every day including at work and while I carry IWB in an alien gear cloak tuck (2.0 maybe?) and the clips go under the belt and hold securely. One other thing with clips is, at least on most I have seen, if you ever have an issue, they are usually easy to replace. Honestly, with another gun, I tried one of the Azula holsters and I wasn’t super impressed. It was serviceable enough, but left me a bit wanting in terms of gun fit and retention.

One interesting law theory I have heard, and have not fully vetted, is that if an employer/store/anyplace that might attempt your ability to control your own safety, they are taking that responsibility upon themselves and could potentially have liability if an event were to occur. Might be something to keep in the back pocket for a discussion, not as a threat, but more to bring it up to get a company thinking about that as they evaluate policy.

·
Registered
387 Posts
My high school fired a popular teacher, who purportedly made a verbal threat to another, over a firearm in the car. If I had to guess, he said something more benign like "I'm going to kick your ass," and that him having a firearm in the car was just an opportunity to be removed. Either way, he likely was too loose with his lips regarding his firearm.

If you plan on carrying illegally or against site policy, best to keep it to yourself and be ready for the consequences. It's frustrating that law abiding citizens are put in this position, but ultimately we have a lot of yahoos that would likely draw a pistol in the bar if we were more loose on carry rights.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts