Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
see signature tag line
179 Posts
I like the belly poach or man purse. Something that looks almost feminist that would not cause anyone to think it is a gun. The item shown here with the ruger tag is nice but a dead give away. Carry your wallet, keys and so on in it and people will see you going in and out of it for those things and not think there is also a gun in there.
Yes it is, so I tuck it behind the flap of the cellphone sleeve there in the front. That little Ruger tag only opens a side pouch so it's not primary to retrieve the pistol.

It's a real fine quality bag and I like the concept, but I'm actually contemplating a smaller EDC pistol than the Security 9C, which fits perfectly exact in the carry bag but makes the bag heavy. With the S9C my accuracy at 25 yards, so far, is not good, but at 30 feet it's much, much better i.e., as some have said, it's an up close and personal self-defense system, not a long-distance shooter; and, if I'm obliged to accept the long-range limitations, because that's the nature of smaller compact pistols, then acquiring an even smaller gun, like the EC9s, might be more advantageous for concealment. If I do down-size pistols, then I'd possibly contemplate a more traditional holster.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
My company was family owned and comfortable with carry in the office. They were purchased by a conglomerate with a strict no weapons policy, even in the parking lot. I don't know if inside my car is my space or theirs . It's not worth the fight to me, so I leave my EDC at home when I go to work, unless I work on the weekends when no-one else is there. This is unfortunate in that I often work for hours after everyone else goes home, but we are also not in a high crime area and we are not a retail shop. It is a tough decision.

To answer your question, you already had it. If I were to leave my firearm in the car, I would pocket carry because it is easy enough to slip a pocket holster in discreetly.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Kind of a misleading title, but my long time employer who was always neutral (as far as I could surmise) about CCWs, came out and officially banned carrying firesrms at work. Firearms can be secured in your vehicles when in the parking lot only.
I would normally carry my LCP everyday in my front pocket just for it's concealability, but now I'm thinking about taking one of my larger firearms (Shield or even full size M&P).
Outside of work I always carry OWB at 3-4 o'clock, but taking my firearm in a pancake holster, loosening my belt, sliding it on, adjusting, and finally tightening the belt all while standing out in the parking lot is a bit of a pain and draws some attention to myself.
I've recently picked up an Azula clip on holster for my Shield that is really easy to get into position and clip on, but it doesn't quite cinch down like a pancake holster. I put it on for the first time yesterday while out at lunch and it worked, but I felt that the gun was really sticking out further than I was comfortable with. I have a Shield pocket holster, but I find the Shield is too bulky to stuff into a pocket.
Sorry for the long winded post, but what do you guys do in similar situations?

Sounds like a simple decision to follow your employer's rules or not to and risk losing a job. This begs the question, do you work someplace where you feel the need to protect yourself with a gun? I wouldn't work at a place like that and there are safe places to work that don't allow outsiders to enter the property. Maybe you're working at the wrong place.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Sounds like a simple decision to follow your employer's rules or not to and risk losing a job. This begs the question, do you work someplace where you feel the need to protect yourself with a gun? I wouldn't work at a place like that and there are safe places to work that don't allow outsiders to enter the property. Maybe you're working at the wrong place.
Definitely following the rules. We can have them locked in the car in the parking lot, which is state law here. There will be further discussions about this according to management. We're going to have some sort of security experts in to evaluate strengths/weaknesses which I think is pretty important. I've had at least 2 terminated employees show up in my doorway and ask why they got fired. Not a good situation for me or the terminated employees. They have since installed key pads and locks on the offices, but my building is still wide open. I'll definitely bring it up as a safety concern.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Find a new employer. No, seriously. Find a new employer.
Yeah, that's really easy to say when you're in your second month at the drive through window or have a rich uncle. But when you're at 14 years and six months and won't be vested for your retirement until 15 years or if you rely on that job for your family's medical insurance you have to make tough and better choices.

On one long term job I had long enough to draw a retirement check from, guns were not allowed in the building. No one ever said anything about what was in your car. While on job I always carried a nice size, but legal, fast flipper knife as "automatics" weren't legal like now.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yeah, that's really easy to say when you're in your second month at the drive through window or have a rich uncle. But when you're at 14 years and six months and won't be vested for your retirement until 15 years or if you rely on that job for your family's medical insurance you have to make tough and better choices.

On one long term job I had long enough to draw a retirement check from, guns were not allowed in the building. No one ever said anything about what was in your car. While on job I always carried a nice size, but legal, fast flipper knife as "automatics" weren't legal like now.
I feel very sorry for those who have resigned themselves to a life of servitude with their neck under the boot of "the man". Seems like a very poor decision to me but it's not my life and not my choice. Live how you want. If you want to work for 'the man' and be subjected to his capricious whims, edicts and dictates then be my guest.

That choice does come with consequences though....so please forgive me if I can't be bothered to give a damn when those poor decisions one day leave you between a rock and a hard place.

Make better choices. The first one is probably going to be finding a new employer (or better yet, become your own employer).

·
Registered
397 Posts
All it takes is a disgruntled employee, active or not. I worked for a large company where I wouldn't put it past the CEO to have a hired kill count. They allowed firearms to be stowed outside the cabin on the private jets and did not check anyone for weapons on boarding, which surprised me. Maybe it was the compensation that prevented any shooting...sometimes wish I never left. Money massages many qualms.

·
Registered
382 Posts
After 911 our company wound up being a sensitive waterfront area so we all had to have federal homeland security background checked ids and all guns were banned from the plant. They added silly fences everywhere that you could walk around the end of. Prior to that handguns and hunting rifles in cars were no problem, I’ve often hunted fields after getting off the last 12-8 shift. They even started searching cars at the gate. Dumb thing is we are 40 miles from anywhere and is as much of a target as Disneyland is. My job and supporting my family were more important so my edc stayed home when I worked. I’ve seen some nice bucks down in the mine. Thank goodness they've never had a real firearm event there.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I think this everytime I see a "absolutely no weapons allowed" sign.
"How can they possibly be serious"
I usually work in a production enviroment but it does not really matter. Of all the things I ever learned, "everything is a weapon or tool" was one of the most valuable.
I get their point, with their signs but I do not live in their fantasy world. I have no desire to burst the bubbles of those folks, or rock their boats. As a matter of fact, I view it as my duty to at least try and keep them in their bubble. I figure if push comes to shove, one group will be happy a person like myself is around, and one group will not be so glad. But untill that day, no waves should be made.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I feel very sorry for those who have resigned themselves to a life of servitude with their neck under the boot of "the man". Seems like a very poor decision to me but it's not my life and not my choice. Live how you want. If you want to work for 'the man' and be subjected to his capricious whims, edicts and dictates then be my guest.

That choice does come with consequences though....so please forgive me if I can't be bothered to give a damn when those poor decisions one day leave you between a rock and a hard place.

Make better choices. The first one is probably going to be finding a new employer (or better yet, become your own employer).
This sounds like a '60s movie script. I didn't work the "man" ...lol. I worked for a good company that paid me very well, with good benefits to support my family for many years. No boots involved either, we just wore nice dress shoes. And now they send me a nice retirement check every month to add to my Social Security and that check goes directly into my guns and ammo account. Now I can go well armed when I feel the need ... something I never felt while doing my job.

To each his own ... but try not to be so angry....

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
I worked for the State for 28 years. The 1st 24 I never carried. The last 4 I did carry. I worked in IT the last 10 years and was allowed to dress casually. My attire was jeans and a t-shirt worn outside my jeans. I carried a Smith 642 or a Para USA micro 1911 in an appendix holster. No one ever spotted them. I nearly got mugged working there years before that and I decided I was going to do what I had the legal right to do. I had enough time and age to retire, even if they fired me. That didn't happen. I can't advise you on what you should do, just tell you what I did.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I work in the field w a safety vest on 90% of the time, so I can carry and no one is the wiser. I haven't had to go into the office on a regular basis since before the Chinese Wuhan flu, which I wasn't carrying then. If I wore my regular garb minus the vest I could easily do an LCP Max in my leg pocket.

If I get into casual dress now it's a little more challenging. I have always pictured myself retiring from my present company, but recently I have divorced myself from that prospect as more wokeness is accepted.

The wife and I are debt free minus the house and we have an emergency fund in place. If I get fired, I will find employment elsewhere. Unless they guarantee my personal safety 100% they have crossed the line when telling me how I should protect myself.
Back in 1989 my boss overheard my supervisor (Mike) and myself discussing the next day. We would be in a crap hole neighborhood on the west side of Dayton taking star shots from 12 to 2am. I said I'd be carrying my 38. Our boss came around the corner and said we couldn't, it was against company policy. It was no where in the handbook and I started to say so but my supervisor said to let him handle it. I walked away and showed up to head out. He asked if I was carrying, I said yes. Mike said to leave it in my car, the nudey bars wouldn't like it. We spent all night in the booby bars and when our boss asked where the star shot data was Mike said unless they got a cop to sit with use We weren't going back...it's scary out there. My boss wasn't going to pay for an off duty officer so we all went strapped. It's easy to ask others to risk their lives but don't ask a guy to come up with security money. That's the only time I actually came out ahead going to a nudey bar.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
It has nothing to do w my place of employment and I'm not trying to be snarkie, but most places of employment can be entered by anyone, which includes nutjob criminals. I mean our schools should be locked down so no one enters, but every 5 months there's a school shooting. So if we can't get that right where exactly are we protected?

My company's policy is that Run-Hide-Crap your pants stuff and hope for the best. Well that's all well and good and I really want to do those things first, but if I'm stuck in a room with no where else to go, my only choice left is to sit there to be executed? Nah, not on my watch.

I am not John Wayne or Clint Eastwood and I am not looking for a fight and will do all to avoid it. I just hope I shoot like Clint if necessary. 😊

21 - 40 of 128 Posts