Ruger Forum banner
41 - 60 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you need your employer more than they need you, you dance their dance.

If they need you more than you need them, you don't.

If you belong to a union, have the union demand your employer have a suitable plan for when some nut job goes to their car, comes back with their gun and starts shooting up the joint.

I can't tell you what you should do. I can only tell you what I do.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Best answer so far.

If you can get your hands on a Chiappa 2"
Rhino, that would be my deep concealment
dream. Put it in a zippered pocket, strap on
your inside ankle.
Check out Undertech Undercover wear. Their T-shirts and tank tops are my go to for deep concealment. I prefer the cool lux fabric version as I use it a lot on bicycles. It's s stretchy that in winter I pull it on over wool sweaters no problem. The cool lux fabric which has a lot of small holes in it for aeration actually adds substantial insulation when worn on top of wool. The draw back is the elastic retaining strap. It makes for a slow two handed draw, one hand to unhook or unbutton the strap, other on the gun but a slow draw is better than a no draw. In a work environment I would think that you could make time to conceal and make the draw. Do not attempt to use it without the retaining strap. If you do, when you bend or lean over your gun will squirt out like a little greased pig.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My high school fired a popular teacher, who purportedly made a verbal threat to another, over a firearm in the car. If I had to guess, he said something more benign like "I'm going to kick your ass," and that him having a firearm in the car was just an opportunity to be removed. Either way, he likely was too loose with his lips regarding his firearm.

If you plan on carrying illegally or against site policy, best to keep it to yourself and be ready for the consequences. It's frustrating that law abiding citizens are put in this position, but ultimately we have a lot of yahoos that would likely draw a pistol in the bar if we were more loose on carry rights.
Not sure what state that was in but in some states such as mine having a firearm on school property is illegal, at least for law abiding folks, not sure what school shooter rights are, they may be exempt. However there are exclusions for law abiding citizens who have a license to carry that allow them to have a loaded firearm inside their car providing it is out of sight and locked in their vehicle and they have legal business at the school which being a teacher would fall under so here they couldn't fire a teacher for that. In any workplace environment it would be stupid to advertise that you are carrying and in particular on school grounds.

·
Registered
609 Posts
This sounds like a '60s movie script. I didn't work the "man" ...lol. I worked for a good company that paid me very well, with good benefits to support my family for many years. No boots involved either, we just wore nice dress shoes. And now they send me a nice retirement check every month to add to my Social Security and that check goes directly into my guns and ammo account. Now I can go well armed when I feel the need ... something I never felt while doing my job.

To each his own ... but try not to be so angry....
Im not angry but I think you missed the point somewhere in your hyperbole...

If you're 6 months from a pension then maybe suck it up and bend the knee... and then after you're done ceding your right to defend yourself maybe you could also give up your right to bodily autonomy and have some experimental injections forced on you too. 🤷‍♂️

To each his own. Sounds like in the days you marched to his beat and asked the man "how high?" he wasn't too oppressive and you did alright for yourself. I'm happy for you PaulWVA

That said, I find it very distasteful when defeatists pretend that there just isn't any option but to bend over and take it.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
"It's s stretchy that in winter I pull it on over wool sweaters no problem."

@GTO wow the last thing I attempt to do w wool is wear it closer to me. W wool sox, I have a thin pair of cotton sox first then the wool.

If we ever have a toughman competition on the forum I know who I'm nominating just on that statement alone. 😊

Very seldom do I have to work continuously outside in temps below 10F. Sounds like your outside a good bit of time if that's your setup?

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Sounds like a simple decision to follow your employer's rules or not to and risk losing a job. This begs the question, do you work someplace where you feel the need to protect yourself with a gun? I wouldn't work at a place like that and there are safe places to work that don't allow outsiders to enter the property. Maybe you're working at the wrong place.
I mean, heck, why would you carry a gun to church in a small South Texas town? Can't think of any place safer. Yet a deranged person killed people one Sunday.

Shootings have occurred at places that "don't allow outsiders to enter the property". A criminal will get in. And not every site is of the type that can try to lock everyone but employees out.

A little naive.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I appreciate all the feedback.
The title of the thread is a bit misleading. I've already made the decision to follow the wishes of my employer and not CC while in the buildings. It's a nice place to work and I don't really feel I'm bending a knee to the man per se in any way. Do I agree totally with the decision? No, but we don't agree on a lot of things in life. I try to see all sides in situations like this and can see the risks of having 300 employees out of 600 here conceal carrying. If there is an incident, who's going to know who the bad guy is? If your brandishing a gun, you might mistakenly get shot. On the other hand, I like the idea because a good guy with a gun can end an incident quickly.
My question was mainly coming from when I get back to my car (leaving for lunch, going home, errands etc) I was looking for input on different options. LCP in pocket as I always had is obviously the easiest. The Azula on a clip and light cover garment is an option. I might be trying the empty pancake and holsterinig upon leaving. That's a pretty good idea unless my holster gets flattened throughout the day without the gun in it. I'll just play around with a few options and see how it works out. Again, appreciate the feedback as always

·
Registered
503 Posts
Im not angry but I think you missed the point somewhere in your hyperbole...
"My", hyperbole? That's good.... really good ...LOL But I do get your point ... you live in fear 24/7/365 .... Hey, I guess that's where the SIG 365 comes from.... :unsure:

I do get it ... some of us prefer to have good jobs that pay well and have good benefits and a good retirement program. Unemployment runs out sooner or later and living on the street can't be safer than working in a nice clean business. But to each their own.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I was in the Navy from 74-82. Worked at a Nuclear Weapons facility from 82-2000. During that 26 yrs I couldn't even have a gun or camera:) in my car unless I checked it at the security building off base. Granted, most of those years were before CC but it was/is legal in SC to carry it loaded in a closed compartment in your vehicle. Providing for my family was more important to me than getting caught on a government facility illegally carrying a firearm. There were random vehicle searches.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I was in the Navy from 74-82. Worked at a Nuclear Weapons facility from 82-2000. During that 26 yrs I couldn't even have a gun or camera:) in my car unless I checked it at the security building off base. Granted, most of those years were before CC but it was/is legal in SC to carry it loaded in a closed compartment in your vehicle. Providing for my family was more important to me than getting caught on a government facility illegally carrying a firearm. There were random vehicle searches.
I was in the Army for my entire adult life before retiring. There was absolutely no way I would ever have tried carrying concealed on an installation. I just carried the biggest folder installation regulations allowed.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Depends on state law. Texas specifically allows keeping a gun locked in the car in the parking lot. Company bans do not trump this state law. No idea if other states have similar laws.
The management where I worked when Texas passed the parking lot legislation had a melt down. Or I should say one individual from NYC did................

·
Registered
53 Posts
Where it is not legal to carry, I simply don't. Where I work now, I have to badge into three doorways to get to my office. Our building is next to the city police headquarters. It's pretty safe.

My previous employer required badges to enter the site and again to enter the building. They have well trained and well armed security. For a few years I was given written permission to bring a firearm on site, but only because part of my job was to eradicate wild hogs. I used my Marlin 336 for that. When security took over that function I never gave it another thought.

I used to have to go to some rough parts of major cities. Those times I simply dressed like I probably didn't have anything worth stealing and carrying something mundane that you also wouldn't want to get hit with. I made the risk/reward calculation easy for the locals. If they thought I had a gun that might have given them something to want from me.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Hunter 49, I am sorry you don't have more safety support at work. If you decide to not carry at work then using the gun from your vehicle is simple as you come and go. Carrying a gun is always a bit of a chore but naturally a trade off. At work I am the boss and do as I please and clients can sit with their gun or take it off and lay it off body until they leave. IF, I go to a place that I need deep concealment, I can use a Renegade Gear ankle holster with a light weight 380 or 9mm. A Kel Tec PF9 works well but not my choice to shoot a lot due to it is very light as a 9mm. The holster has a place for an extra mag. For an ankle holster, I want one that straps above my calf and below so the holster doesn't move during the day. One just needs a lighter gun for an ankle holster in my opinion because the hip area can carry so much more weight easily. Don't wear tight legged pants and don't cross the leg with the pistol on it. People don't really care about the bottom of your pants, so it is an ignored area. I do have a Ruger Sp101 357 2 in. but don't like that much weight on my ankle. The light semiautos like a Kahr 380 or Kel Tecs do well. Good luck Sir!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I was a Contractor and employer said no weapons of any kind. We were in a parking garage in high drug/crime area. So carried it in with me for four years till retired. In my backpack. All my co workers knew and said in safety meetings the managers said if gunmen enter run and hide. All my friends told me they are running to me as I would probably be most likely to get out. Also in Georgia, only a tresspassing offense. And I could find another job anywhere. I am Electrical Engineer in High Voltage systems and was in great demand.

·
Registered
609 Posts
"My", hyperbole? That's good.... really good ...LOL But I do get your point ... you live in fear 24/7/365 .... Hey, I guess that's where the SIG 365 comes from.... :unsure:

I do get it ... some of us prefer to have good jobs that pay well and have good benefits and a good retirement program. Unemployment runs out sooner or later and living on the street can't be safer than working in a nice clean business. But to each their own.
What a bunch of hogwash.

It was identified earlier that if you need your employer more than they need you then you do the dance. You're a dancer. Sounds like you've been a dancer your whole life. Probably die a dancer. That's okay, you can make a good life dancing for others.

I'd rather not dance. It hasn't left me homeless or jockeying a drive thru. I do well for myself. Even have a few people that dance for me.

41 - 60 of 128 Posts