Ruger Forum banner
61 - 80 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey, I said that! 😆

It was identified earlier that if you need your employer more than they need you then you do the dance. You're a dancer.
I prefer “schlepper” but I used “dancer” for a more universal vernacular. :)

I respect my employer and follow his rules.

I hope your employees follow yours. (y)

Let’s be Happy Hippos! 😜

·
Registered
554 Posts
Check out Undertech Undercover wear. Their T-shirts and tank tops are my go to for deep concealment.

Thanks, that's a good one. Now that polos and golf vests are popular, there's no need to worry about printing :

·
Registered
554 Posts
Just another thought. If your work clothes don't facilitate comfortable concealment, then get comfortable with deep concealment via Israeli carry (in condition 3). Even if SHTF at work you won't need a quick draw. You'll have plenty of time to prepare your weapon in the unlikely event it may be needed.

At the end of the day, when no one's looking, you can move the gun to a more comfortable CCW placement, so you're not in condition 3 outside of work.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Kind of a misleading title, but my long time employer who was always neutral (as far as I could surmise) about CCWs, came out and officially banned carrying firesrms at work. Firearms can be secured in your vehicles when in the parking lot only.
I would normally carry my LCP everyday in my front pocket just for it's concealability, but now I'm thinking about taking one of my larger firearms (Shield or even full size M&P).
Outside of work I always carry OWB at 3-4 o'clock, but taking my firearm in a pancake holster, loosening my belt, sliding it on, adjusting, and finally tightening the belt all while standing out in the parking lot is a bit of a pain and draws some attention to myself.
I've recently picked up an Azula clip on holster for my Shield that is really easy to get into position and clip on, but it doesn't quite cinch down like a pancake holster. I put it on for the first time yesterday while out at lunch and it worked, but I felt that the gun was really sticking out further than I was comfortable with. I have a Shield pocket holster, but I find the Shield is too bulky to stuff into a pocket.
Sorry for the long winded post, but what do you guys do in similar situations?
If I worked in a place where I thought I needed to carry, I'd find another place to work. If my work required me to travel, I'd carry anyway.

·
Registered
609 Posts
If I worked in a place where I thought I needed to carry, I'd find another place to work. If my work required me to travel, I'd carry anyway.
I'd suggest that if there are other humans in your workplace you might have a need to carry. Working a pawnshop or liquor store in Baltimore is probably going to have different risks than a small office building or machine shop in Small Town, USA but there is a non-zero chance of violence wherever people can be found.

Citation: The County Health Department in San Bernardino, CA was targeted by Islamic Jihadists who ruthlessly murdered their co-workers.

I'd not really think of the county health department as being a particularly dangerous place as it sits next to the courthouse and is not far from a firestation, police station and the national guard armory. (Admittedly San Bernardino is a pit in general).

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'd suggest that if there are other humans in your workplace you might have a need to carry. Working a pawnshop or liquor store in Baltimore is probably going to have different risks than a small office building or machine shop in Small Town, USA but there is a non-zero chance of violence wherever people can be found.

Citation: The County Health Department in San Bernardino, CA was targeted by Islamic Jihadists who ruthlessly murdered their co-workers.

I'd not really think of the county health department as being a particularly dangerous place as it sits next to the courthouse and is not far from a firestation, police station and the national guard armory. (Admittedly San Bernardino is a pit in general).
Anyplace in California is dangerous. I've been there for the last time for any reason. They have as much to worry about as New York City and the state of New Jersey. It definitely depends on where one lives. People don't go postal where I live. I banned firearms inside the business I ran and nobody complained because everybody got along. Entry to the property was controlled. My workplace now is in my home and I don't carry a gun because my wife lives here too.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Anyplace in California is dangerous. I've been there for the last time for any reason. They have as much to worry about as New York City and the state of New Jersey. It definitely depends on where one lives. People don't go postal where I live. I banned firearms inside the business I ran and nobody complained because everybody got along. Entry to the property was controlled. My workplace now is in my home and I don't carry a gun because my wife lives here too.
Many people of tragic circumstances have often remarked, "I never thought that could happen here, not to me, not to us"

·
Registered
828 Posts
I worry more about the racist jackholes who would profile me as an Islamic Jihadist because of my appearance. It was pretty bad after 911 and hadn't gotten too much better and lately is on an upswing. Dog bites are the least of my worries.:p

·
Registered
609 Posts
I worry more about the racist jackholes who would profile me as an Islamic Jihadist because of my appearance. It was pretty bad after 911 and hadn't gotten too much better and lately is on an upswing. Dog bites are the least of my worries.:p
Pardon me if I caused offense. I only referred to them as Islamic Jihadists because they pleged allegiance to ISIS right before they shot up a Christmas party.

·
Registered
125 Posts
"It's s stretchy that in winter I pull it on over wool sweaters no problem."

@GTO wow the last thing I attempt to do w wool is wear it closer to me. W wool sox, I have a thin pair of cotton sox first then the wool.

If we ever have a toughman competition on the forum I know who I'm nominating just on that statement alone. 😊

Very seldom do I have to work continuously outside in temps below 10F. Sounds like your outside a good bit of time if that's your setup?
Spent most of my life working in extreme cold or extreme heat. In my 20's and early thirties I was a commercial diver working 250 to 350 feet down in the North Sea in winter.
In addition to the water temp, we breath 98% helium/2% O2. That helium sucks out the heat in your body with every breath. After the oil glut in the late 80's early 90's offshore construction pretty much stopped. I worked winters as a professional ski patroller. Base was 8,000 ft, Top of the mountain was 10,000 ft. Avalanche work starts at 5am. Take the lifts as high as they go then hike up to the top of the ridge carrying your skis and about 35 to 40 lbs of charges each. Sometimes it's 40 below, 80 below with the wind chill.
By the time you're done with the first route you're drenched in sweat, then take a 10 minute chair ride back to the top for round 2. By the time you get to the top all that sweat is frozen solid. Now days I'm just another city flatlander but I ride my bicycle to work every day through the winter, it's about 7.5 miles each way. Mostly you just get soaked from the rain but we have our occasional deep freezes that last a couple of weeks. Nothing like the mountains. One morning it was 18° plus 12 to 14 mph wind, the speed I average, my 1 quart water bottle froze solid. That would take 5 or more hours in the freezer to a accomplish.
Thanks, that's a good one. Now that polos and golf vests are popular, there's no need to worry about printing :

My go to concealed carry cover is always a vest. In hot summer I have thin fabric breathable vests with a full front zip. Often these sporty type vests have a hoody which I cut off. So the shirt you see in the link is what I'd wear bicycling for instance and over that I wear the thin fabric vest to cover the gun. I pick vests with contrasting black side panels which helps break up and hide any "bumps".
The vest also covers shoulder holster carry, IWB and OWB.
In winter I wear a baggy fleece or wool vest or the thin vest with parka or overcoat. That way if I'm inside in public I can take off the coat and be covered.
You can buy those shirts direct from Undertech Undercover .com They often have specials on them. I buy them in 3 packs to get a bit more of a discount.
One more bit of advice, don't use the mag slot unless you sew on some kind of velcro strap, other wise the mag will squirt out if you lean over.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Just like all the white boys pledging allegiance to the flag and God just before they shoot up a school or mall, huh!
You seem to be conflating a reference to jihadists with a reference to Arabs or Pakistanis, in general. I saw nothing in the post with which you take issue indicating that ethnicity and ideology were being equated.

And as to your reference to "white boys," these mass shooters most certainly were NOT pledging any allegiance to the flag and God. If you want to make such an assertion, you provide a good link to a reputable news source saying as much.

Try to do it before this thread gets locked down since you decided to take it into a direction sure to draw ire from the mods.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
To get things back on track....
How about what you do carry if you can't carry. A sturdy cane, or maybe a baseball bat? Louisville Sluggers were Al Capone's favorite carry.

Reactions: Jack Ruger
61 - 80 of 128 Posts