Ruger Forum banner

How do you carry when you can't carry?

9K views 136 replies 61 participants last post by  StainlessMini14 
#1 ·
Kind of a misleading title, but my long time employer who was always neutral (as far as I could surmise) about CCWs, came out and officially banned carrying firesrms at work. Firearms can be secured in your vehicles when in the parking lot only.
I would normally carry my LCP everyday in my front pocket just for it's concealability, but now I'm thinking about taking one of my larger firearms (Shield or even full size M&P).
Outside of work I always carry OWB at 3-4 o'clock, but taking my firearm in a pancake holster, loosening my belt, sliding it on, adjusting, and finally tightening the belt all while standing out in the parking lot is a bit of a pain and draws some attention to myself.
I've recently picked up an Azula clip on holster for my Shield that is really easy to get into position and clip on, but it doesn't quite cinch down like a pancake holster. I put it on for the first time yesterday while out at lunch and it worked, but I felt that the gun was really sticking out further than I was comfortable with. I have a Shield pocket holster, but I find the Shield is too bulky to stuff into a pocket.
Sorry for the long winded post, but what do you guys do in similar situations?

#2 ·
I'm currently test-driving the Elite Survival Systems Discreet Carry Pouch found on ShopRuger.com:
Luggage and bags Bag Rectangle Musical instrument accessory Event

It's carried OWB and obviously not for quick draw because it hides the hardware completely and discreetly.

It holds my Security 9C perfectly and looks like a benign fanny pack.

#5 ·
I'm currently test-driving the Elite Survival Systems Discreet Carry Pouch found on ShopRuger.com:
View attachment 173562
It's carried OWB and obviously not for quick draw because it hides the hardware completely and discreetly.

It holds my Security 9C perfectly and looks like a benign fanny pack.
I like the belly poach or man purse. Something that looks almost feminist that would not cause anyone to think it is a gun. The item shown here with the ruger tag is nice but a dead give away. Carry your wallet, keys and so on in it and people will see you going in and out of it for those things and not think there is also a gun in there.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
I carry a small Glock or Sig OWB at roughly 4 o'clock in a 3 way 1791 all leather holster. There is some printing under a loose fitting shirt, but in all my 7 years of carrying that way, nobody even looks...never a comment! When I can't carry it's locked in the glove compartment for a brief time!

#6 ·
You can always remove the gun only and keep the empty holster on your belt. I have a lock box cabled to a seat post in my car for that purpose. You can also decide to carry against policy but do so at your own risk. We had a guy that got fired a few yeas ago that got caught but that was out of stupidity.

I had conversations with my boss and said if I decide to carry against policy that's on me. If I conceal carry properly no one will be the wiser. You would have to see it or know for a fact it's on me you can't legally search me. I also said if I feel the need to carry I will. I can either lose my job or lose my life one I can replace one I can't.

#9 ·
You can always remove the gun only and keep the empty holster on your belt. I have a lock box cabled to a seat post in my car for that purpose. You can also decide to carry against policy but do so at your own risk. We had a guy that got fired a few yeas ago that got caught but that was out of stupidity.

I had conversations with my boss and said if I decide to carry against policy that's on me. If I conceal carry properly no one will be the wiser. You would have to see it or know for a fact it's on me you can't legally search me. I also said if I feel the need to carry I will. I can either lose my job or lose my life one I can replace one I can't.
I've thought about doing this. Just wear an empty holster and holster the firearm once I go to the car.
I suppose I could just keep the LCP and slide it in the pocket like I always have, but was thinking this unfortunate decision by my employer might turn into an opportunity to pack my bigger guns.

I've also considered keeping a lightweight, short sleeve, button up cover garment in the car and throwing it on to help cover the print when using that clip on Azula holster. Might work. Thanks for the input

#8 ·
I retired from AT&T in '04. Their Code of Conduct expressly forbade firearms on company premises, and was grounds for immediate dismissal. The parking garage was considered an "extension of the workplace." I took it very seriously, wasn't about to roll those dice.

#11 ·
Kind of a misleading title, but my long time employer who was always neutral (as far as I could surmise) about CCWs, came out and officially banned carrying firesrms at work. Firearms can be secured in your vehicles when in the parking lot only.
I would normally carry my LCP everyday in my front pocket just for it's concealability, but now I'm thinking about taking one of my larger firearms (Shield or even full size M&P).
Outside of work I always carry OWB at 3-4 o'clock, but taking my firearm in a pancake holster, loosening my belt, sliding it on, adjusting, and finally tightening the belt all while standing out in the parking lot is a bit of a pain and draws some attention to myself.
I've recently picked up an Azula clip on holster for my Shield that is really easy to get into position and clip on, but it doesn't quite cinch down like a pancake holster. I put it on for the first time yesterday while out at lunch and it worked, but I felt that the gun was really sticking out further than I was comfortable with. I have a Shield pocket holster, but I find the Shield is too bulky to stuff into a pocket.
Get a snap on holster. No need to remove the belt, but yet it still holds the holster very secure. I do not trust clip on holsters.

#13 ·
Find a new employer. No, seriously. Find a new employer.

An LCP is a very, very easy gun to carry. If no one knows that you carry a gun no one will ever 'see' it.

There are lots of rules in life. I figure most of those are for intended for 'other people'. Courthouses, schools and federal buildings are about the only place I won't carry. I guess you can add any place with metal detectors, too.

#26 ·
Find a new employer. No, seriously. Find a new employer.
Yeah, that's really easy to say when you're in your second month at the drive through window or have a rich uncle. But when you're at 14 years and six months and won't be vested for your retirement until 15 years or if you rely on that job for your family's medical insurance you have to make tough and better choices.

On one long term job I had long enough to draw a retirement check from, guns were not allowed in the building. No one ever said anything about what was in your car. While on job I always carried a nice size, but legal, fast flipper knife as "automatics" weren't legal like now.

#14 ·
If you need your employer more than they need you, you dance their dance.

If they need you more than you need them, you don't.

If you belong to a union, have the union demand your employer have a suitable plan for when some nut job goes to their car, comes back with their gun and starts shooting up the joint.

I can't tell you what you should do. I can only tell you what I do.

#41 ·
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Best answer so far.

If you can get your hands on a Chiappa 2"
Rhino, that would be my deep concealment
dream. Put it in a zippered pocket, strap on
your inside ankle.
Check out Undertech Undercover wear. Their T-shirts and tank tops are my go to for deep concealment. I prefer the cool lux fabric version as I use it a lot on bicycles. It's s stretchy that in winter I pull it on over wool sweaters no problem. The cool lux fabric which has a lot of small holes in it for aeration actually adds substantial insulation when worn on top of wool. The draw back is the elastic retaining strap. It makes for a slow two handed draw, one hand to unhook or unbutton the strap, other on the gun but a slow draw is better than a no draw. In a work environment I would think that you could make time to conceal and make the draw. Do not attempt to use it without the retaining strap. If you do, when you bend or lean over your gun will squirt out like a little greased pig.

#15 ·
I work in the field w a safety vest on 90% of the time, so I can carry and no one is the wiser. I haven't had to go into the office on a regular basis since before the Chinese Wuhan flu, which I wasn't carrying then. If I wore my regular garb minus the vest I could easily do an LCP Max in my leg pocket.

If I get into casual dress now it's a little more challenging. I have always pictured myself retiring from my present company, but recently I have divorced myself from that prospect as more wokeness is accepted.

The wife and I are debt free minus the house and we have an emergency fund in place. If I get fired, I will find employment elsewhere. Unless they guarantee my personal safety 100% they have crossed the line when telling me how I should protect myself.

#37 ·
Back in 1989 my boss overheard my supervisor (Mike) and myself discussing the next day. We would be in a crap hole neighborhood on the west side of Dayton taking star shots from 12 to 2am. I said I'd be carrying my 38. Our boss came around the corner and said we couldn't, it was against company policy. It was no where in the handbook and I started to say so but my supervisor said to let him handle it. I walked away and showed up to head out. He asked if I was carrying, I said yes. Mike said to leave it in my car, the nudey bars wouldn't like it. We spent all night in the booby bars and when our boss asked where the star shot data was Mike said unless they got a cop to sit with use We weren't going back...it's scary out there. My boss wasn't going to pay for an off duty officer so we all went strapped. It's easy to ask others to risk their lives but don't ask a guy to come up with security money. That's the only time I actually came out ahead going to a nudey bar.

#16 ·
Since I also jog every day I am now comfortable with running, or going places with a fanny pack. At first it felt a little strange, but now after about 15 years it works. I also place my gun in a small sleeve inside the pack as I learned quickly that the up and down affect would wear blue off quickly. A bit slow to the draw, but at least I have it on me. Lots of choices with these packs. Since my sweat wears them out quickly I buy cheap and replace often. If I were not running with it, I would opt for a higher quality model.

#18 ·
It’s a hard one. I have been in that position, and it’s got to be up to each person to weigh the risks. Honestly, I have had great luck with clips. I carry every day including at work and while I carry IWB in an alien gear cloak tuck (2.0 maybe?) and the clips go under the belt and hold securely. One other thing with clips is, at least on most I have seen, if you ever have an issue, they are usually easy to replace. Honestly, with another gun, I tried one of the Azula holsters and I wasn’t super impressed. It was serviceable enough, but left me a bit wanting in terms of gun fit and retention.

One interesting law theory I have heard, and have not fully vetted, is that if an employer/store/anyplace that might attempt your ability to control your own safety, they are taking that responsibility upon themselves and could potentially have liability if an event were to occur. Might be something to keep in the back pocket for a discussion, not as a threat, but more to bring it up to get a company thinking about that as they evaluate policy.

#19 ·
They never "think" or "evaluate" anything but what the Suits believe makes them look good and keeps the Usual Suspects out of their hair.

It’s a hard one. I have been in that position, and it’s got to be up to each person to weigh the risks. Honestly, I have had great luck with clips. I carry every day including at work and while I carry IWB in an alien gear cloak tuck (2.0 maybe?) and the clips go under the belt and hold securely. One other thing with clips is, at least on most I have seen, if you ever have an issue, they are usually easy to replace. Honestly, with another gun, I tried one of the Azula holsters and I wasn’t super impressed. It was serviceable enough, but left me a bit wanting in terms of gun fit and retention.

One interesting law theory I have heard, and have not fully vetted, is that if an employer/store/anyplace that might attempt your ability to control your own safety, they are taking that responsibility upon themselves and could potentially have liability if an event were to occur. Might be something to keep in the back pocket for a discussion, not as a threat, but more to bring it up to get a company thinking about that as they evaluate policy.

#20 ·
My high school fired a popular teacher, who purportedly made a verbal threat to another, over a firearm in the car. If I had to guess, he said something more benign like "I'm going to kick your ass," and that him having a firearm in the car was just an opportunity to be removed. Either way, he likely was too loose with his lips regarding his firearm.

If you plan on carrying illegally or against site policy, best to keep it to yourself and be ready for the consequences. It's frustrating that law abiding citizens are put in this position, but ultimately we have a lot of yahoos that would likely draw a pistol in the bar if we were more loose on carry rights.

#42 ·
Not sure what state that was in but in some states such as mine having a firearm on school property is illegal, at least for law abiding folks, not sure what school shooter rights are, they may be exempt. However there are exclusions for law abiding citizens who have a license to carry that allow them to have a loaded firearm inside their car providing it is out of sight and locked in their vehicle and they have legal business at the school which being a teacher would fall under so here they couldn't fire a teacher for that. In any workplace environment it would be stupid to advertise that you are carrying and in particular on school grounds.

#22 ·
My company was family owned and comfortable with carry in the office. They were purchased by a conglomerate with a strict no weapons policy, even in the parking lot. I don't know if inside my car is my space or theirs . It's not worth the fight to me, so I leave my EDC at home when I go to work, unless I work on the weekends when no-one else is there. This is unfortunate in that I often work for hours after everyone else goes home, but we are also not in a high crime area and we are not a retail shop. It is a tough decision.

To answer your question, you already had it. If I were to leave my firearm in the car, I would pocket carry because it is easy enough to slip a pocket holster in discreetly.

#23 ·

Sounds like a simple decision to follow your employer's rules or not to and risk losing a job. This begs the question, do you work someplace where you feel the need to protect yourself with a gun? I wouldn't work at a place like that and there are safe places to work that don't allow outsiders to enter the property. Maybe you're working at the wrong place.

#24 ·
Definitely following the rules. We can have them locked in the car in the parking lot, which is state law here. There will be further discussions about this according to management. We're going to have some sort of security experts in to evaluate strengths/weaknesses which I think is pretty important. I've had at least 2 terminated employees show up in my doorway and ask why they got fired. Not a good situation for me or the terminated employees. They have since installed key pads and locks on the offices, but my building is still wide open. I'll definitely bring it up as a safety concern.

#28 ·
All it takes is a disgruntled employee, active or not. I worked for a large company where I wouldn't put it past the CEO to have a hired kill count. They allowed firearms to be stowed outside the cabin on the private jets and did not check anyone for weapons on boarding, which surprised me. Maybe it was the compensation that prevented any shooting...sometimes wish I never left. Money massages many qualms.

#30 · (Edited)
After 911 our company wound up being a sensitive waterfront area so we all had to have federal homeland security background checked ids and all guns were banned from the plant. They added silly fences everywhere that you could walk around the end of. Prior to that handguns and hunting rifles in cars were no problem, I’ve often hunted fields after getting off the last 12-8 shift. They even started searching cars at the gate. Dumb thing is we are 40 miles from anywhere and is as much of a target as Disneyland is. My job and supporting my family were more important so my edc stayed home when I worked. I’ve seen some nice bucks down in the mine. Thank goodness they've never had a real firearm event there.

#33 · (Edited)
I think this everytime I see a "absolutely no weapons allowed" sign.
"How can they possibly be serious"
I usually work in a production enviroment but it does not really matter. Of all the things I ever learned, "everything is a weapon or tool" was one of the most valuable.
I get their point, with their signs but I do not live in their fantasy world. I have no desire to burst the bubbles of those folks, or rock their boats. As a matter of fact, I view it as my duty to at least try and keep them in their bubble. I figure if push comes to shove, one group will be happy a person like myself is around, and one group will not be so glad. But untill that day, no waves should be made.

#35 ·
I worked for the State for 28 years. The 1st 24 I never carried. The last 4 I did carry. I worked in IT the last 10 years and was allowed to dress casually. My attire was jeans and a t-shirt worn outside my jeans. I carried a Smith 642 or a Para USA micro 1911 in an appendix holster. No one ever spotted them. I nearly got mugged working there years before that and I decided I was going to do what I had the legal right to do. I had enough time and age to retire, even if they fired me. That didn't happen. I can't advise you on what you should do, just tell you what I did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.