Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would you identify yourself in a **** hits the fan situation?

If you were in a situation when you had to draw and fire your weapon, how would you communicate your intention to other people and or law enforcement once they start to arrive? (How do you tell them your not the bad guy?)

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
If the fireworks with the bad guy are over, I would try to calm any bystanders with a quick comment about what the gunfire was all about. Then I would lay the gun on a counter, car hood or somewhere visible, but not where someone else could grab it. When the LEO's arrive I would get my hands in the air and back away from the gun so there is no mistaking my intentions.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I agree with rman, but I would reholster my weapon, and put my hands in the air and submit
to what ever LEO commands were given.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

Since I don't have ME IS A GOOD GUY tattoo'd on me forehead.

I know the drill.... place firearm in a non-threatening place like being reholstered. Place both hands on top of my head, and as I would have perfered to see, palms out to show I am not hiding anything in my palms.

I would speak in a very clear and understandable tone, and do everything the arriving officer tells me to do.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Keep control of the gun-lest a friend,family member, etc show up and see their dear one on the ground and you defenseless...I'd re-holster, too-but in my hand would be the license/permit in the little bi-fold case that I carry them in-LEOs are used to being shown ID by other officers and it has a calming effect-and most important-CALL AN AMBULANCE for the perp-bad guys don't do that and it will have a good effect on the grand jury if you have to go there...

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I would put the gun back in my holster and call the police and rescue. Keep a sharp out for friends or family of the BG. When the officer arrives I would put my hands in the air and tell him who I am and do what ever he tells me to do. I would tell him as clamly as I could that I feared for my for life and I need to see my lawyer. I would call my wife first and tell her to get the lawyer on the top of the list in the gun cabniet and work down if he's not around.
Any shooting on the street is going to cost you in some way. In your home I would handle it a little different. With the castle doctrine here in Florida I would tell them all they need to know. If I get some wise jerk of a Detective I'll clam up and call the lawyer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Best case is you or someone with you has been on a cell phone with 911 dispatcher and police know who is who before they arrive, then do as above. However, I would not holster or lay down the gun until police have arrived. I don't know for sure that the BG is indeed unable to get nasty again, and don't want myself or anyone else to get close enough to check.

·
Registered
292 Posts
This is a good post. I never thought about calling 911 and asking for EMTs. Good cover for the backside.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
This is a good post. I never thought about calling 911 and asking for EMTs. Good cover for the backside.
It's also the right thing to do. In SD our main goal should be to stop the bg not kill him. If the bg dies from his injuries, he dies, but we should do all we can to prevent that. We're not executioners, and I highly doubt we want to be thought of that way.

I'd reholster my gun in order to keep control of it, and do exactly as responding officers ask.

Great thread! :)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I've had 8 cups of coffee already since 4 a.m. and I still can't figure out what SD means??? Help this old dog out.....

·
Registered
373 Posts
great thread,

I've often worried about being mistaken for the BG in the event i would have to use my weapon. Very useful information here.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
sd--self defense
I got the badge to flash, but depending on the situtaton, location, etc, the one consistant thing i will do is call 911 and let them know the "who what when where"--especially who i am and a physical description of myself so it can be radioed to responders---so they will know for example the good guy (me) is the one standing wearing blue jeans, red plaid shirt, black cowboy hat, boots. Holding a badge or ID in your hand can't been seen or easily identified at distance----and nowadays long guns will probably be brought in so i don't want to get sniped by an officer at 50 yds.

I want the responders to have a good mental picture of who not to shoot upon arrival. Communiate the BG is down. Back off to a nearby location of cover/concealment just in case and watch the area from there--just in case the radio traffic does not get heard by every officer, and just in case there may be a 2nd shooter. By the way, the 911 operators will be probably flooded with calls so you may not get through immediately--watch your back. When confronted by officers--follow commands to the "T"---adrenlin will be running high. Depending on the situtation---i will be hidden and watching and when i come out of hiding to the officers, my weapons will not be in view, they will be layed on the floor before i come out.

Remember that there may be ten 911 calls ahead of yours and from a witness perspective, YOU may be a BG that shot it out with another BG. You in all likelyhood could be described as a bg by someone who still can't grasp exactly what has happened. There will be confusion to say the least.

This can be "what if" all day long to change things but in the end, it is up to you to decide how to protect yourself the best in the situtation you are in.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Polishrose, That was my thought...till I noticed he's from NH---I just slipped a belt somewhere, I guess!!!! I thought long and hard before I asked...Laugh's on me!!!

Deputy125, here 3 towns are served by the sorriest excuse for a 911 center I've seen...I always give good been there done that type info....the responding officer NEVER gets it...I'll put my faith in the responding officer's common sense and act real slowly....it'll be a hairy thing no matter what....not a day of glory like in the movies!!!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Yep
Ain't gonna be scripted like in the movies. Mass panic and confusion by the public for sure.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
This is a thread that can and should be discussed at length. Some very good suggestions here. I've often thought about what I would do in a situation like this. No one knows for sure, but, it's good to have a plan as a guideline. I know that I DO want the police to know that I'm the good guy.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Advice given to students at my last CHL class sounded helpful to me. Instructor was a 30 year officer who suggested that you have two phone numbers in your wallet all the time; your attorney and a bail bondsman recommended by that attorney. He recommended that attorney would be your first best call; attorney can contact your wife when things have calmed down a bit. The suggestions given above about how to handle yourself pretty much agree with those given in my class. I note that the home security companies who call police to investigate alarms want to get your complete description to give to the officers who will respond if you plan to show up at your house before they arrive. Don't get confused for a bad guy if you can help it.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
A lot of articles I've read about SD shootings would lead me to believe that the gun will be taken away on the spot for evidence, but you will not automatically be charged with anything until an investigation is done. You may be detained for a bit, but in most cases I've read the people are released within a few hours. This is not a guarantee, but with witnesses and the fact that you were right in your decision to fire, I think you wouldn't be charged.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.