Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I am considering purchasing a P345. I have been looking at a lot of different .45cal pistols and being a Ruger Guy :D I keep coming back to the 345. Let me know what you guys like/dislike about the P345.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I love mine. very reliable. I bought it used with about 1500 rounds through and to date I have shot about another 1000. Not a hiccup!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I like mine . But be careful of spray cleaners on the polymer. Put fiber optic sights on mine. Have around 3000 rounds

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I've had one for 4 or 5 years and at least 3000 rounds through it. It's tough and reliable. Center of bore is a bit high but, all round good shooter. Conceals well for a fairly large gun. I would trust my life with it.

·
Super Moderator
16,279 Posts
cmann ... My P345 is nearing the 4,000 round mark and other than 2 fail to feeds during the 1st 50 rounds, it has been perfect. My thoughts are as follows:

1. Ergonomics - It feels like it was made for my hand and is well balanced IMO.
2. Size / Weight - At 5.75" height, 7.5" length and 29oz, while not a compact, it conceals relatively easily when I carry it upon occasion (CB Supertuck IWB or Hume JIT Slide OWB)
3. Sights - Adequate (Stock front and rear sights are windage adjustable).
4. Accuracy - While not a target pistol by any stretch of the imagination, at combat distance (up to 30') it will easily hold 5 shot groups of 2" or less.
5. Trigger - Typical P series with quite a bit of travel (the hammer spring can be lightened a bit to improve the trigger pull).
6. Durability - It has shown no signs of unusual wear (including the rails)
7. Ammo sensitivity - No issue as it has digested a wide variety of FMJ & JHPs

You will likely find (as you continue your research) that some folks have apprehension regarding the P345 concerning it's initial "click-no-bang" problem. The C-N-B was brought about by dry firing without the magazine in place, which caused the firing pin to damage the magazine disconnect plunger to the point that the firing pin couldn't get past the disconnect plunger (thus click-no-bang). Between Ruger's design change to the slide (providing additional clearance between the plunger and firing pin) and the warning that they added the manual (not to dryfire without the magazine in place), IMHO it's really a non-issue at this point.

Hope that it helps ... Good luck on your decision!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I love my P345. It's my EDC and I DO trust my life to it. I personally don't think you'll find a better .45 for the money. My advice is go for it. I don't think you'll be sorry.

·
Banned
619 Posts
$ for $ it's unbeatable. One of the best locking systems ever designed for an autopistol. I find it handles loads up to +P with ease. ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Love my P345. Got it used about two years ago and love shooting it. Never had a problem with it. They are great pistols. Go for it and get one.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
How would you compare it to the SR1911?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I have a buddy who has one and he loves it . I reload for brass for his sometimes . He claims it will eat anything. I have put a few hundred rounds through it and I like it. True it has more recoil then my SR1911.

Good Luck and Be Safe

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
cmann ... My P345 is nearing the 4,000 round mark and other than 2 fail to feeds during the 1st 50 rounds, it has been perfect. My thoughts are as follows:

1. Ergonomics - It feels like it was made for my hand and is well balanced IMO.
2. Size / Weight - At 5.75" height, 7.5" length and 29oz, while not a compact, it conceals relatively easily when I carry it upon occasion (CB Supertuck IWB or Hume JIT Slide OWB)
3. Sights - Adequate (Stock front and rear sights are windage adjustable).
4. Accuracy - While not a target pistol by any stretch of the imagination, at combat distance (up to 30') it will easily hold 5 shot groups of 2" or less.
5. Trigger - Typical P series with quite a bit of travel (the hammer spring can be lightened a bit to improve the trigger pull).
6. Durability - It has shown no signs of unusual wear (including the rails)
7. Ammo sensitivity - No issue as it has digested a wide variety of FMJ & JHPs

You will likely find (as you continue your research) that some folks have apprehension regarding the P345 concerning it's initial "click-no-bang" problem. The C-N-B was brought about by dry firing without the magazine in place, which caused the firing pin to damage the magazine disconnect plunger to the point that the firing pin couldn't get past the disconnect plunger (thus click-no-bang). Between Ruger's design change to the slide (providing additional clearance between the plunger and firing pin) and the warning that they added the manual (not to dryfire without the magazine in place), IMHO it's really a non-issue at this point.

Hope that it helps ... Good luck on your decision!
Excellent summation of the comments on this web about the 345. I agree 100%.

I had one too for a short time (just couldn't get into the plastic frame and haven't owned one since). NEVER a problem with it, ate everything. I don't see where, functionally or reliability, it's any different than a Smith or anybody else.

No it's not a 1911. They just aren't the same, they're just different from each other.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Thanks for the comparisons guys... Am on the list for a SR1911, but would not be opposed to getting the 345...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Great gun

I love my P345. No issues whatsoever. Extremely reliable weapon.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
No complaints at all on my P345. Great gun & fun to shoot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Love my P345! Eats anything that I've fed it so far; zero failures to feed, zero failures to fire, and zero failures to eject. Added a set of Meprolight tritium sights for low-light use. CCW carry it in a Tennessee Holster Company shoulder rig. Similar form factor to my SigPro 2022. The P345 rocks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts