Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of practice do you folks do when you go to the range. For shooting my "defense guns" (which are both auto pistols), I like to vary my range practice. If I am using human silhouette type targets - then starting at a distance of 20 feet to 26 feet, I usually fire one magazine full using just my strong hand and then do the same using just my weak hand. Then I might use the normal two hand hold and fire a magazine going two to the body and one or two to the head. Then I might move the target back to 30ft to 40ft and repeat the body/head double tap. I might even try one hand shooting at that distance. I also practice magazine changes.

I will also use standard bullseye targets and work on shot placement at various distances with all my firearms.

I was just curious what others do since I am always trying to vary my practice regime within the limitations of the indoor range I usually shoot at.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I shoot at all kinds of things with my CCW. Guess my favorite is throw a pop can or gatorade bottle out about 10 yards and see how many times I can hit it before I knock it out of range. Sometimes when you hit it low it will fly in the air, but I haven't got good enough to hit it while its in the air yet. I shoot out in the country on my Ranch, or I couldn't do this.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Well my practice is at my backyard range so I have a little more freedom. I practice 7 yards drawing from my IWB holster and firing five rounds as fast as I can while keeping all shots center of mass. I practice from the same distance firing while retreating and moving to cover. I do basically the same thing from 20 yards. I also practice strong hand only and weak hand only. I carry a SP101 so reloads are not as fast but I practice reloading while moving to cover.

·
Registered
714 Posts
That is about how I go about it on my range also.

In addition I do have some fun stuff hanging from tree limbs that add some difficulty to the exercises.

They move in the breezes.;)

·
Registered
589 Posts
Old CDs work great hanging from tree limbs, I have hundreds of them from my job. Only down side is they are some what of a pain to clean up.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I like paper plates they are cheap and they show you where your hitting at. I shoot at close range as it will be most likely that distance when it happens hope it doesn't but ya never know.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I like to shoot one handed starting close and working my way out. 7 yards out to about 20 yards. I like to point and shoot. No sites. I do use the sites sometimes, but I don't really like to with hand guns. I shoot with either hand and am only slightly better with my right.

·
Count Ursunk
3,356 Posts
i shoot at an old plastic cooler down in the pasture. paper plates and tape to cover old holes. my sbh,5.5,still shoots high at 25 yds with the rear site bottomed out. is this normal or what?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
mrb, mine did the same until I changed the front sight out for a taller one.
Range for me is the only place I go lately so have restrictions on what I can do. Use to be like Calvin and shoot pop cans and plastic bottles. That was the most fun. Now It's all paper on stands. If practicing with defensive handguns, most shooting is done at 5 or 7 yds. I use weak and strong hand, supported and unsupported. I try to simulate what would be required in the real world in different circumstances. Sometimes practicing with a hand behind my back tucked into my belt like it was injured.
If I am shooting for fun, I start out at 15yds and move out to where the gun or I am not grouping on the paper. For fun it's whatever I feel like that day with whatever I brought with me.

·
Registered
288 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Polishrose

What kind of practice do you folks do when you go to the range. For shooting my "defense guns" (which are both auto pistols), I like to vary my range practice. If I am using human silhouette type targets - then starting at a distance of 20 feet to 26 feet, I usually fire one magazine full using just my strong hand and then do the same using just my weak hand. Then I might use the normal two hand hold and fire a magazine going two to the body and one or two to the head. Then I might move the target back to 30ft to 40ft and repeat the body/head double tap. I might even try one hand shooting at that distance. I also practice magazine changes.

I will also use standard bullseye targets and work on shot placement at various distances with all my firearms.

I was just curious what others do since I am always trying to vary my practice regime within the limitations of the indoor range I usually shoot at.

·
Registered
288 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Polishrose

Since I live in a rural area I shoot (legally) on my own land. I set up a crude range and it works OK. Sometimes I'll sit at a bench and slow fire trying to get the tightest group. This helps me monitor my eyesight which is not quite as good as it was due to aging. Other times I'll rapid fire, emptying the magazine all at once, attempting to get all the bullets into a decent sized cluster. With my KP 90 I do pretty well. I reload my .45s so ammo is not a problem.......I don't shoot as much as I used to...but if I want to I can. I use a single stage reloader, the good 'ol tried and true Rockchucker. I'll load about 50 rounds at a time. I use Bullseye and Unique.....but I wanna try some of the new propellants. Happy Shooting to you, may you hit well.EDIT: SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST....ATTEMTED TO DELETE .....ONLY STAFF CAN DO IT.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I shoot at a member's only range with stations for targets at 7-15 yards and 25, 50 and 100 yard ranges. I generally shoot pistols at the 15 and 25-yard targets with 4-6 home-printed targets on a 3' x 3' cardboard backer. I probably do the "wrong" thing because I usually take one centerfire pistol and 3-4 rimfire handguns each trip. I'd probably be a better shot if I took one and shot it until I could shoot it consistently and well. Instead I shoot each handgun I bring to the range. I tend to shoot the handguns I do not shoot well more than the ones I shoot well.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Sass

I set up traget's and different stages and different distances and run from one stage to the next shooting and trying to improve on my times and shooting. I also do alot of practise at home dry firing. It does work and has helped me alot but me I have to practise alot and to tell the truth I really enjoying shooting and reloading.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It all depends if i'm shooting target or defensive

If i'm target, i'll work on stance, breathing etc

When i'm shooting the defensive carry guns i start with an empty gun and practice shirt lift (or jacket sweep), presenting the firearm, then holster....lift, present, holster...over and over. I'll do that at home as well, but also at the range or my hunting property.

I'll shoot strong hand, weak hand...i'll practice retreat from my target at a 45 degree side step away while firing (this mostly done on hunting property) 7-20yds

Lately i've been working on in close range, arms length to the target
i'll present the firearm, shoot 2 or 3 rounds from the hip into the target, step back/retreat a few paces, 2 hand grip then doubletap the head

repetition, repetition, repetition

1 - 14 of 14 Posts