Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pondering this question today.

Short answer: With an AR-15 and a 1911:ROFLMAO:

To be more serious.. ammo is an investment of sorts. With the current high cost of ammo any serious cache might be valued in the thousands or tens of thousands.. maybe more! (heck, some of the members here have hinted that their decades old ammo stash, bought on the cheap years ago, might now be worth more than a modest house)

So if you have this investment worth 5k, 10k, 50k, 100k... whatever... How do you protect it? Theft, fire, flood, alien abduction... all potential threats to your stash!

I know gun collections can be insured. I have a "valuable personal property" policy that covers my firearms, precious coins/metals/jewelry and musical instruments. Has anyone done something similar with their ammo collection?

Protection from the elements by storing in appropriate containers in a cool, dry area also seems like a no brainer...What about protection from something a little harder to defend against. Say maybe your neighbors townhome caught fire... or what about a flood? Or insert any other widespread disaster, natural or otherwise... Even supposing you could evacuate ahead of time... ever try moving 10,000 or 20,000+ rounds of ammo? Big, bulky and heavy. Not easy to move in an emergency even if it's in ammo crates.

A good safe seems like a reasonable place to start... but even very expensive safes only offer limited protection from fire and water damage.

Help me out here guys... how do I protect my ammo stash? Or is that assumption of risk just an unavoidable fact of life?

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I don't sell it on the inter-web ... reguardless of what I paid for it and what it's selling for .
I don't see the supply and distribution chains comming back to normal any time soon .
I know Uncle Joe isn't all fired up about solving this problem any time soon .
I'm glad I bought all my reloading equiptment and bullet making tools in the late 1960's ...
being your own ammo manufacturing facility is nice .

I keep my Guns and Ammo inside my house ... we will protect each other .
Gary

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Other than locked containers bolted down with climate control, I'm sure some people have it stored on shelves in the basement (mancave). Pretty much any where in your home where you are comfortable as well ( temperature and humidity). As for me I keep my 1 round of 22lr in my buttoned down front pocket in case I have to bugout.

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
718 Posts
Ammo has the same coverage just like any other personal property under your homeowners policy, subject to your personal property limits (which can be increased if you need it.)

I'm sure you can also add it to your "valuable personal property" policy if you want to.

Protection: Decide what your most likely threats are.
For me: Fire and theft would be the most likely. Insurance covers both of those.

Storage: I have seen this topic discussed for years across many forums.
I use USGI ammo cans.
Mostly, it just needs to be kept dry, and protected from extremes in temperature changes.

Some people vacuum pack ammo (to protect from flood) and also store it in ammo cans. (I don't do that).
If I had a basement, I would not store it down there. I have worked up north and learned that basements are great, just don't store anything you are attached to in them. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
414 Posts
I like those small fire safes they sell at HD. Have a few, some with rifle ammo and one full of pistol ammo. I figure not only do the keep little hands off my stash they'll also help the gentleman trying to put out the flames if that ever happens. Would hate to be a Fireman battling a house fire only to start receiving random gunfire.

·
Registered
144 Posts
None of mine is for sale but honestly I don’t think it’s ever a good idea to brag about your safety-security systems, hideouts etc on an open forum. Bad guys look at these forums too.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I like those small fire safes they sell at HD. Have a few, some with rifle ammo and one full of pistol ammo. I figure not only do the keep little hands off my stash they'll also help the gentleman trying to put out the flames if that ever happens. Would hate to be a Fireman battling a house fire only to start receiving random gunfire.
Ammo will pop in fire, the bullet will not go anywhere.

·
Registered
624 Posts
^ neighbors garage caught fire and his ammo cooking off is what woke me, sounded like weak fireworks.

I keep my ammo stored in ammo cans, I have insurance for my firearms but not on ammo specifically.

Homeowners covers firearms for 1100$ and with a Collectible policy I should be able to restock both firearms and ammo, assuming there will be ammo to buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One of the biggest errors you can make is thinking your standard insurance policy has your personal property adequately covered. On average, it almost certainly does not. I don't believe my existing policy would cover more than $2500 worth of guns and ammo without a special add on (which I do, for my guns only at this point).

If you only have $2500 worth of ammo that's no problem... but I'm talking about a serious ammo stash. The "I don't plan on having to buy ammo for the next decade... or maybe ever" kind of stash. The "I could build a little play fort with ammo crates" kind of stash.

It's good advice to see if my ammo stash can be added to my valuable personal property policy... I've thought about this...although discussing the details of insuring $XX,XXX worth of ammo is something that I find deeply uncomfortable from an OP-SEC standpoint. I wasn't even really comfortable insuring my guns but it seemed like a risk too high not too.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,810 Posts
Its no biggy, done it many times, house burning, sounds like fire crackers, no real threat, as long as its not chambered in a gun its pretty harmless. Now storing 25lb LP cylinders inside does bother me. I have seen a 250 gallon vertical tank of LP in a house hidden by plywood, and that house was on fire. I have also chunked LP cylinders best i remember 9 or 10 out of a house we were fighting fire in.

Trust me the way they are building new homes now with osb, and gusset plates is far more dangerous than ammo under fire conditions.

·
Registered
566 Posts
GONRA has learned (?) you just have to protect this gun stuff as prudently
as possible - multiple burglar alarms, etc.
Booby Traps are great - if ya'll can MAINTAIN 'em!
Cannot afford to SCREW UP !

·
Registered
718 Posts
One of the biggest errors you can make is thinking your standard insurance policy has your personal property adequately covered. On average, it almost certainly does not. I don't believe my existing policy would cover more than $2500 worth of guns and ammo without a special add on (which I do, for my guns only at this point).

If you only have $2500 worth of ammo that's no problem... but I'm talking about a serious ammo stash. The "I don't plan on having to buy ammo for the next decade... or maybe ever" kind of stash. The "I could build a little play fort with ammo crates" kind of stash.

It's good advice to see if my ammo stash can be added to my valuable personal property policy... I've thought about this...although discussing the details of insuring $XX,XXX worth of ammo is something that I find deeply uncomfortable from an OP-SEC standpoint. I wasn't even really comfortable insuring my guns but it seemed like a risk too high not too.
You are correct that most people do not pay enough attention to their policies, mostly they are looking at cost, not coverages (or carrier).
Policies are different, they are all approved by the state boards of insurance, but they are not all the same.
Insurance policies are written for the average homeowner and what an average homeowner has.
Believe it or not, average people do not have $100k worth of ammunition. 😮
I’ve never seen a pool icy with any coverage limitations on ammunition, but 100k would probably eat up a lot of your policy limit.
which brings another topic, documentation. You should have photos of things that you have that are unusual or expensive.
Photos, receipts, etc. should be kept in a safe place.

if you do not know your policy limits, you should. You should know how much your home is insured for, how much your personal property limits and also know if you have replacement cost or if it’s actual cash value only.
People also do not look into items that have special limits and what they are. Things like gold, silver, jewelry, furs, cash, fine art and firearms……

Generally the firearms limit only applies to theft. Other perils, like fire, they are covered like anything else just subject to the policy limits.

Additional firearm insurance is never a bad idea, but that can be added to a homeowners policy or provided by a different carrier.

in the event of a total loss, you are going to have to make a list of all the personal property you lost and what it will cost to replace.
This Is overwhelming for a lot of people.

people tend to accumulate a lot of stuff through their lives, if my house burned down tomorrow, I would not replace everything.
Got crap in boxes in my garage that I haven’t seen in years. 😂🤣
I find gun stuff all the time that I don’t remember buying.

Reactions: Angry Hippo

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
@JohnnyDollar, saved me some typing. USGI M2A2 "stack-able" ammo cans is what I use. I live on high ground. I store it in my basement. I upped my limits on homeowners insurance.

Ammo has been the best performing investment I have made for the past couple years.......IF I ever sold it, which I won't.

·
Registered
718 Posts
@JohnnyDollar, saved me some typing. USGI M2A2 "stack-able" ammo cans is what I use. I live on high ground. I store it in my basement. I upped my limits on homeowners insurance.

Ammo has been the best performing investment I have made for the past couple years.......IF I ever sold it, which I won't.
Strangely it has become too valuable to sell...... :unsure:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts