Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've occasionally seen statements like "This is a 97% piece." or "I'd estimate this gun to be at 95%." and so on... From the context, I'm supposing that this is relative to the gun's condition. Is there a guide of some sort available that enables you to have an idea of what a certain percent means in real life when you can't physically see and handle the gun in question? Thanks!

Amistad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,587 Posts
The percentage system is detailed extensively in the Blue Book of Gun Values. The thing is, one mans 98% is another mans 90%, so you got to be careful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
quote:Originally posted by gunman42782

The percentage system is detailed extensively in the Blue Book of Gun Values. The thing is, one mans 98% is another mans 90%, so you got to be careful.
Ah..., I see. I've been an avid numismatist for many years. The same sentiment prevails within that realm. That is, if you have a coin in mind that you'd like to buy, the seller of the coin of interest might view it as being an "Extremely Fine" specimen. But if you are wanting to sell the coin, that same individual may well look it over and and report that the coin is no better than "Fine" in his judgment. Vigilance and knowledge are indeed necessary in order to keep from getting screwed by an unscrupulous individual.

Amistad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
683 Posts
As gunman says, the front section of the Blue Book of gun values ( any issue) has pictures of the diffferent 'degrees' ( percentages) of wear... this info is a "must" and even then as said above, still can be 'interpretted' differently by each one of us, cause you add in "opinions'........ plus this info is for the "original" finish of the gun, NOT when its "reblued"....... some now add this condition factor to a 'reblue' job, WRONG..............
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
I have found the Blue Book of Gun Values can give you a rough estimate of a gun's worth but that is all. It all depends on supply and demand. At our last gunshow I sold my used Kel-tec P32 for $250. ). Reason being there were no other Kel-tecs for sale except a few new ones that were priced over $300. Try going by that book when you want to trade your gun in to a dealer!! The price drops like a rock. You can expect maybe half of what the blue book says if that. I watched a woman trade her Kel-tec P32 in on a new gun at the show. The dealer gave her $100 for it. it had only been fired a few times!!! Better to sell your guns privately.
Toots
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
quote:Originally posted by oldgungal

The price drops like a rock. You can expect maybe half of what the blue book says if that. I watched a woman trade her Kel-tec P32 in on a new gun at the show. The dealer gave her $100 for it. it had only been fired a few times!!! Better to sell your guns privately.
Toots
Amen to that!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
quote:Originally posted by oldgungal

I have found the Blue Book of Gun Values can give you a rough estimate of a gun's worth but that is all. It all depends on supply and demand. At our last gunshow I sold my used Kel-tec P32 for $250. ). Reason being there were no other Kel-tecs for sale except a few new ones that were priced over $300. Try going by that book when you want to trade your gun in to a dealer!! The price drops like a rock. You can expect maybe half of what the blue book says if that. I watched a woman trade her Kel-tec P32 in on a new gun at the show. The dealer gave her $100 for it. it had only been fired a few times!!! Better to sell your guns privately.
Toots
Believe it or not, but Gander Mountain will pay 80% of their selling price for a gun if it is reasonably desireable. They put it in writing on the sale papers and sometimes it is just easier to sell to them and not have to deal with some shady character coming to your house to buy a gun and then maybe he will come back later to snag the rest of your guns.

I once sold out all of my handguns when I lived in Miami, and I met all of my buyers at the Miami Dade Metro police station (with their permission) If a buyer did not want to meet me there, I did not want to meet him at all.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top