Ruger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my dad hunt on what is called state game lands (SGL), purchased by our PA game commision for the sole purpose of hunting. One such game lands happens to be smack up against Ft. Indiantown Gap National Gurad base. Well, on Monday we decided to go Turkey hunting at said SGL's. It is quite a long walk along the top of a mountain to our hunting spot, it takes about 1 hour of walking to get their, but it is worth it as it is a pretty darn good Turkey hunting spot. The Nat Guard owns fields directly below this smallish mountain, and thwe Turkeys love coming up from the fields toward dark, to get to their roosts and find some food maybe. So, we are 3/4 of the way back to our spot when, all of a sudden, down in that field we hear an engine running. We walk over to the edge to look down and all of a sudden BOOOOOOMMMMM!!!!! A freakin ear-splitting boom from an M1 Abrams down in the field below!!!! They're shelling an impact area that is roughly 5 miles away! Naturally, Turkeys don't feel real crisp around a M1 Abrams tanks, so we decided to leave. The tank would fire every 2 minutes, and we ended up having to cover our ears every two minutes, in anticipation of the blast.

So, for a little while we hear nothing.... We assume they're done but we are still leaving, nonetheless. We are most of the way back to the parking lot, when we hear the tank moving in the fields below..... Me and my dad loom at each other like, "oh crap, here it comes again". And we were right, BOOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!! Another bout of ear ringing and now we were running out of that place! We got back to the car, and left.!!! We went down in the valley, which is also SGL, and hunted there the rest of the night and saw 5 Deer combined. The rest of the day hunting we had to listen to this awful M1 Abrams shoot it's main gun, and also it's .50 BMG.

I would've never guessed my Turkey hunt would be interrupted by an M1 Abrams!!!!

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
The most impressive thing to me is that your state purchases land to turn it into State Game Lands for the sole purpose of hunting.

Out here on the left coast, lands are purchased for the sole purpose of banning hunting (as well as the use of offroad vehicles).

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The most impressive thing to me is that your state purchases land to turn it into State Game Lands for the sole purpose of hunting.

Out here on the left coast, lands are purchased for the sole purpose of banning hunting (as well as the use of offroad vehicles).
We have SGL's in every county, some of them are gigantic. There are millions of acres in our SGL's, which accomodates our nearly 1 million hunters pretty good! My one local SGL is actually a farm, designed for small game hunting solely, but has good deer hunting as well. The PGC allows a local farmer to farm there free of charge, but he has to do certain things in certain places for cover for Pheasants and Rabbits, including letting up his corn extra long. It is a truly wonderful place to hunt, me and my dad have hunted there A LOT for the past two months. We are truly blessed.

No offence, but I thank God every day that I don't live in Commiefornia!!!! ;)

·
Administrator
23,515 Posts
The gun club I belong to isn't all that far as the crow flies, maybe a mile or so. When the wind is blowing from there to here it can be a little loud especially out back in an elevated stand but I'm sure that is mild compared to a tank. Good move getting out because I doubt many turkeys stayed in the area and your hearing thanks you as well.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Do you suppose the Guard guys got any turkeys with the M1?........:D

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Here in Tennessee we have Wildlife Managment Areas (WMAs) that are purchased or leased with Wma permit fees. State and federal lands, where applicable, are also managed like WMAs. Almost 19% of TN is open to the public for hunting and fishing. It is a great thing.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Boy, if that Abrams fired that many times without hitting that turkey, he must be a bad shot!...Seriously though, I ride my motorcycle quite often around the Gap, and it can get noisy at times there. Try Middle Creek WMA, it's waaay quieter there.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Do you suppose the Guard guys got any turkeys with the M1?........:D
We've heard stories...... At the impact area (you can hunt within sight of it, when they aren't shelling, you don't want to go back there if the red flag is up though!!!!), they have multiple tanks and vehicles that they like to pound with Hellfire and Sidewinder misssiles.... Well, Bear and Deer just happen to love the impact area, and there have been instances where they killed bear and deer (on purpose, of course) with their sidewinders.... Makes me mad when I think about it :(

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Boy, if that Abrams fired that many times without hitting that turkey, he must be a bad shot!...Seriously though, I ride my motorcycle quite often around the Gap, and it can get noisy at times there. Try Middle Creek WMA, it's waaay quieter there.
We were at the Hawk Watch, near Cold Springs, if you know where that is. We've been to the projects (Middle Creek) many times. In fact, we were just there within the past month. Great place, and a good time. In fact, the PGC guy that works that farm-like game lands I talked about (along Rt. 117 in Colebrook, near Lawn), originally worked behind the desk at MC.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.