Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did some research and decided that the Meprolight 21 was the best value for me for a nice sight. I did a lot more reading and decided on the triangle reticle. I ordered from Midway USA b/c it is a great company and...oh my god! I got it the day after I ordered it even though I went with the free shipping. $550 basically.

I open the box eagerly and look down the sight and...uh...um...what? There's...no reticle. Nothing. Nada. Not a -faint- imprint of one, not a bold one by all the gods! NOTHING. IT IS TOTALLY CLEAR.

I thought this thing...(checked the box and the website)...yeah...no batteries, no switches, didnt tell me to like...do something bizarre like charge it in the sun (dont know where I even came up with that).

How in the seven hells did I receive a sight with no god blessed reticle (OH! And same true for in the dark! It is SUPPOSED to work wonderfully in the dark and there is not a damned thing in the sight!).

I've already contacted Midway but they're closed til Monday of course. Just wanted to see if anyone here has ever even heard of such a thing.

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
I have not direct experience with their products but have had a old rifle scope fail due to recoil and the crosshairs simply fell down to the bottom. I sent it back to the manufacturer (Redfield) and they fixed it for free. In your case I would be on the phone with Midway for a return. Did you put batteries in it and see if it required that to function?

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
There's no instruction papers with the sight ? While I have some of their tritium iron sights, I'm not familiar with their 21 model. I would think, unless it's nuclear powered, it's got to use a battery. There's no place on it that looks like a battery compartment ? If so, maybe it was shipped with the battery turned around. If there are no visible switches, maybe it has a motion sensor like my Leupold illuminated scope. I know, lots of "maybe's" but without being able to look at it, can't help more. Unless of the techs at Midway is familiar with the Meprolight, they will probably scratch their heads and tell you to send it back. Maybe someone here that has one will respond, but if not, I'd call Meprolight on Monday, before talking to Midway.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What Gunlover said. Exactly. Look, I know I'm going to sound like a whiny little girl - I just find it almost unbelievable that a) somehow there would be failure to install a working piece of the radioactive material used in the reticle (or maybe install the piece at all); b) that nobody at Meprolight caught this; c) the box was not sealed meaning someone at Midway USA could have performed some quality check and d) somehow it ended up coming to me. For Pete's sake.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
You should be able to see the reticle during daylight, unless it's also missing the fiber optic tube. ????

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They are. Midway is a great company and I'll order from them again. And it is not their fault that the thing was built wrong either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts