Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you own both SR1911’s and other 1911’s, how do you rate your Ruger 1911’s against the others?

I have the Target Model. I’ve owned a few others and shot others at the range. I’ve handled numerous 1911’s at stores.

My experience is that it’s hard to beat at the price Ruger charges. Almost as good as the Springfield Range Officer, which tends to be $100-150 more. It’s the about same price as a Colt Government Model, but has way more bells and whistles. That prancing pony is worth $$ if you wanna sell a gun, but the Ruger is better.

I’ve tried a similarly priced Kimber at the range. It was tighter and had a better trigger than the Ruger. but according to its owner it did cost a bit more than my Ruger. He shot mine and liked it. $1,200+ Dan Wesson guns are nicer. Rock Island Armory makes good 1911’s for way cheaper, but I like my Ruger enough that it’s more than worth the price difference.

If there is a better 1911 for the same price, I’m all ears.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I love my Ruger CMD BUT, had to send it in on warranty, shot low and threw brass in my face. Ruger replaced it, said frame was mis machined. Sent me a replacement, it shot low, threw brass in my face, back end of bbl was loose as a goose, one of the magazines puke all the ammo out. Sent it back. they long linked it, would not correct the low impact, had to file the front sight down to bring it up. I do love it now but I wouldn't buy another unless it was a real bargain. The only thing I had to do to my Kimber was dimple the slide stop and file the front sight down(I did not return it) .

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
My full size SR1911 is top quality as far as I am concerned. It's a close second to my Ruger P90 as far as accuracy. It was $$$ well spent IMHO ...

·
Premium Member
14,209 Posts
Not quite a Dan Wesson or Wilson but a real close Kimber maybe. For the money vs quality you can't do much better than the SR 1911 series.

Reactions: alayonruger

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I bought a Remington 1911 to celebrate becoming an American citizen. Been out with it once, works nice..

thewelshm

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
A timely thread for me, which I read with interest. My only 1911s are a Colt Gold Cup National Match, series 80 in 45 and a Colt/Walther 1911 Gold Cup in 22lr. Recently my daughter surprised me by taking a real shine to the 45. This from a 9mm Berreta fan and Glock 19 plastic fantastic. Gotta love it.

So we talk about what she likes. Trigger style. Narrow grip but at full length. Sights. But she'd like a shorter barrel and a lighter weight. Sound like anything we know? Light weight Commander! Now the Colt LT had feed ramp issues after time and they are pretty $$$ north of the border. Enter a used Ruger SR1911 Commander LT in very nice condition. I grabbed it two days ago and await transfer.

To me it is not "a very good gun for the money". Nope. It's a very good gun period. Good features, good fit and great looks. Titanium insert feed ramp and firing pin. Slim grips in decent grade wood. Novac sights. Nice trigger pull. Made in USA. What's not to like? Compared to my Colt? Gives up very little ground on performance and not so very much on manufacturing except that Colt deep blue. But this is a gun you can use with no fear of a tiny scratch.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I would love to own the Ruger but my SS budget is extremely tight.
Local store put the RIA 10mm on sale for $500 and I grabbed one. Not criticizing the others but the RIA is an amazing pistol for the money. Great target sights, trigger and hammer.
Mine is really well made with great fit and finish, operates flawlessly, great with aftermarket mags, and I love the 10mm punch!
Some cheap pistols are absolute crap but RIA is inexpensive because they make more 1911s than any other factory in the world and know how to do it. Worth a look.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A timely thread for me, which I read with interest. My only 1911s are a Colt Gold Cup National Match, series 80 in 45 and a Colt/Walther 1911 Gold Cup in 22lr. Recently my daughter surprised me by taking a real shine to the 45. This from a 9mm Berreta fan and Glock 19 plastic fantastic. Gotta love it.

So we talk about what she likes. Trigger style. Narrow grip but at full length. Sights. But she'd like a shorter barrel and a lighter weight. Sound like anything we know? Light weight Commander! Now the Colt LT had feed ramp issues after time and they are pretty $$$ north of the border. Enter a used Ruger SR1911 Commander LT in very nice condition. I grabbed it two days ago and await transfer.

To me it is not "a very good gun for the money". Nope. It's a very good gun period. Good features, good fit and great looks. Titanium insert feed ramp and firing pin. Slim grips in decent grade wood. Novac sights. Nice trigger pull. Made in USA. What's not to like? Compared to my Colt? Gives up very little ground on performance and not so very much on manufacturing except that Colt deep blue. But this is a gun you can use with no fear of a tiny scratch.
Yes, it’s a really good gun, period. But you also do get a lot for the money.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
I would love to have a Ruger 1911 but bought two RIAs just before the Ruger came out and I haven't looked back.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I have a full sized SR1911 in .45 Auto and a CMD in 9mm. Both have been 100% reliable and both are accurate. I also have a Taurus PT1911 .45, SA Range Officer .45, S&W 1911 SC Series E .45, Para USA OPS .45 and an ATI Commander Sized .45. All have been good and reliable, including the Taurus. Actually it is the most accurate of the lot. (Hate to admit that.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I love my full size Night watchman, I have shot way more expensive 1911's and for being two or three times higher I was not really that impressed. Mine is accurate and reliable, love it.

·
Premium Member
14,209 Posts
I had a Colt Defender and could not wait to get rid of it. Pain in the rear to assemble/reassemble and could never shoot well with it. Traded it on a Kimber Ultra Carry II and love it. There are 4 SR1911's in the safe and they are the favorites. Ruger really hit a homerun when they designed and priced these. The Executive series 1911 in 45 ACP is a little heavy to carry thus the Kimber. I have carried it and the LW CMD and really enjoy shooting them but the Kimber carries nicer for me. What a great problem to have!

Reactions: rman

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Have shot many 1911's over the years and currently own 3. I also once owned a Kimber Custom Stainless. My opinion is that the Ruger SR1911 is priced just right for what you are getting. There are better 1911's, and there are cheaper. There are not better, cheaper 1911's.

In my neck of the woods, the basic Springfield and the basic Kimber are both about the same price or within $100. All are great values, with a LITTLE jump in manufacturing quality going to the Kimber, but they are the most expensive of the 3. This is reflected in the processes used to make the Kimber vs the other 2. An upgraded Springfield range officer comes in at the same price and manufacturing quality as the Kimber. For me, the difference in price outweighs the difference in manufacturing. I have no problem with the cast frame, MIM parts and black controls for the $100 price drop. These 3 are the closest I find in price and quality.

As far as rating my SR1911's (full size and officer) against the other ones I have shot, these are my observations.
The Ruger is every bit as accurate as I need. The Springfield ROC (really my wife's, but I ge tto shoot it regularly) is a little more accurate, but cost more, as was the Kimber, but neither better enough to make a difference in my hands. Both of the SR1911's have been absolutely reliable, but I have had very few problems with any 1911 I have shot, and those few were rentals that were not cleaned enough IMO. The beauty of a 1911 is that they all feel pretty much the same if they are the same size; I'm sure Glock shooters can say the same thing. The fit and finish on the SR1911 is as good as guns that cost way more and stands toe to toe with the comparisons I have made so far. Triggers all have been pretty much the same, as the design is the same. One may be better than another, but compared to any non-1911, every 1911 trigger I have pulled has been better. Again, I have felt better triggers than the SR1911, but only on guns that cost way more (50% higher or more).

Best parts of the SR1911 (and the main reasons I went with them), is the series 70 design, the made in America appeal, and the Ruger customer service behind them. I know some people have had issues with SR1911's but I suspect they have been few and far between, and I know Ruger takes care of problems.

·
One Star
10,016 Posts
That's going to be hard to do, mind are safe queens so far.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts