Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I have owed a few 1911's and only have two at this time. I have the full size SR1911 and a 4 inch barrel RIA.
They are both great guns but I don't see me ever getting rid of the Ruger.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you own both SR1911’s and other 1911’s, how do you rate your Ruger 1911’s against the others?

I have the Target Model. I’ve owned a few others and shot others at the range. I’ve handled numerous 1911’s at stores.

My experience is that it’s hard to beat at the price Ruger charges. Almost as good as the Springfield Range Officer, which tends to be $100-150 more. It’s the about same price as a Colt Government Model, but has way more bells and whistles. That prancing pony is worth $$ if you wanna sell a gun, but the Ruger is better.

I’ve tried a similarly priced Kimber at the range. It was tighter and had a better trigger than the Ruger. but according to its owner it did cost a bit more than my Ruger. He shot mine and liked it. $1,200+ Dan Wesson guns are nicer. Rock Island Armory makes good 1911’s for way cheaper, but I like my Ruger enough that it’s more than worth the price difference.

If there is a better 1911 for the same price, I’m all ears.
That pretty well sums it up for me. I've had a Remington R1911 and now have a Kimber Target II and a Ruger 1911 CMD. The Kimber's trigger is very nice. I would like to have a trigger job on the CMD. It is also somewhat finicky about ammo feeding and magazines. That may be inherent in the Commander-sized guns.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My full size SR1911 is top quality as far as I am concerned. It's a close second to my Ruger P90 as far as accuracy. It was $$$ well spent IMHO ...
My old Ruger P90 is a great shooter as well. I think they are really underrated. I had it out with my CZ 97 BD that Cajun Gun Works customized. You can certainly tell the difference, but for what I paid for that P90, it is hard to beat that gun.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
My old Ruger P90 is a great shooter as well. I think they are really underrated. I had it out with my CZ 97 BD that Cajun Gun Works customized. You can certainly tell the difference, but for what I paid for that P90, it is hard to beat that gun.
My P90 cost me roughly half of what I paid for the 1911 ... the P90 won't go anywhere ...

·
Registered
323 Posts
In the early 80's I had a Randall 1911 stainless. Was a decent shooter with a bad trigger. Worked on it a bit and got the trigger better, but like early stainless pistols from some companies, it galled along the slide and ramp, and only got worse for wear. I sold it, with the caveat to the buyer that "it needs a lot of work". Wanted a new, better 1911 since. Almost two years ago I found a heavily discounted RIA FS 1911 A1 Standard (what it says on the label) at my local indoor range, heavily discounted. He'd had it under the glass for too long and wanted to sell it. Novak sights, commander hammer, adjustable trigger, two eight round factory mags, and just over $400. Parkerized finish - meh, no big deal. I jumped on it. A week later, after getting the excessive factory lube (preservative?) out of it, it shot consistently in the black with anything I tried from 230gr ball to 185gr target, and G2+P 230grHP, all in the black at 7 yards and better offhand. A guy near me was shooting a Sig 45 and his Wilson 1911 and asked if he could try it. He fired a full eight round clip, all in the 9-10 ring (better shooter than me), handed it back and said only - "Thanks - nice". I'd love to have a Ruger 1911, but if another RIA like this falls in my lap, it's going home. John Browning's design is perfect, and many builders only improve on it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The only thing that I didn't like about my SR1911 was the Blackened Controls. I Replaced the black ones with SS, and did a trigger Job and she's a fine shooter. I have a few other 1911s of various makes and my SR fits in well. What I do like is there is no series 80 safety.
View attachment 148369
I use to own around 50 Dale Earnhardt die cast models. That is an impressive collection. Wow

My brother is a former Marine and just purchased himself the Springfield 1911 Marine Operator addition in black and OD green. Man is it a beaut.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Not sure when you became a fellow citizens, but welcome to your home.
It was Friday the 13th of July 2018.Thanks Mate..

thewelshm

·
Registered
162 Posts
The only thing that I didn't like about my SR1911 was the Blackened Controls. I Replaced the black ones with SS, and did a trigger Job and she's a fine shooter. I have a few other 1911s of various makes and my SR fits in well. What I do like is there is no series 80 safety.
View attachment 148369
I've found there are damned few 1911's who needed anything but some "Tuning"/Trigger job to be both safe and a joy to shoot-RUGERS INCUDED, so if the trigger were the worst of it, depending on Price, I'd definitely go for it.

·
Registered
162 Posts

thewe
I would love to own the Ruger but my SS budget is extremely tight.
Local store put the RIA 10mm on sale for $500 and I grabbed one. Not criticizing the others but the RIA is an amazing pistol for the money. Great target sights, trigger and hammer.
Mine is really well made with great fit and finish, operates flawlessly, great with aftermarket mags, and I love the 10mm punch!
Some cheap pistols are absolute crap but RIA is inexpensive because they make more 1911s than any other factory in the world and know how to do it. Worth a look.
I have had 2 RIA 1911's, and am down to one RIA. My other is a Para. I will be looking at a Ruger.
I Have to say RIAs are great-"for the price", or not they're a real value

·
Registered
561 Posts
I always shot my Dad's SR1911s better than his Kimbers, so when it came time to get me my one and only 1911, I got the SR1911-10. I smoothed out the trigger and is a very accurate, excellent shooter. I broke the lower bbl lug with hot loads, but otherwise I'd highly recommend.

·
Registered
45 Posts

thewelshm
That's great, most of my heritage is English, Scot, Welsh, Irish, w a sprinkle of saur kraut.

Have a Russian friend who became a citizen around the same time and a Columbian buddy who probably will in the next year.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If I wanted to buy 1911, I would buy Turkish for 399. Based on many forums, it doesn't matter how much you pay for 1911, lots of them have problems and go for warranty repairs.

·
Super Moderator
4,126 Posts
I once owned a Ruger SR1911 LWC 45ACP. Excellent pistol. I regret selling it. The only price comparable 1911 I currently own is a S&W 1911E. The fit/finish is slightly better than the Ruger I owned and it has a nicer trigger. However both of those items could be more about individual guns than the whole product line. I may have gotten lucky with the S&W. In any case I highly recommend the Ruger SR1911 pistols. They're excellent 1911's and I wouldn't hesitate to own another one.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If I wanted to buy 1911, I would buy Turkish for 399. Based on many forums, it doesn't matter how much you pay for 1911, lots of them have problems and go for warranty repairs.
I Will never buy anything Turkish, and support their Murderous regime. I'll buy from The Philippines, tho', and won't pay much more, if anything at all.
Having owned several, and several more friends, all have had Very good luck with them. . to each His own, but I Don't/Won't Buy Turkish ANYTHING.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I like my sr1911 target. I am a lefty, so I like the ambidextrous safety. The bomar style rear sight is what I prefer, over the 3 dot style sights. I am sure that some of the pricier brands may be more accurate, but I am not a bullseye shooter, so it is plenty accurate for my needs. Good price. All of the features that I was looking for, what’s not to like?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I like my sr1911 target. I am a lefty, so I like the ambidextrous safety. The bomar style rear sight is what I prefer, over the 3 dot style sights. I am sure that some of the pricier brands may be more accurate, but I am not a bullseye shooter, so it is plenty accurate for my needs. Good price. All of the features that I was looking for, what’s not to like?
Also A southpaw, but learned My 1911 skills, in service, so I really have no need of a Ambi safety, though if it came on the pistol I wouldn't take it off. I'm a 3 dot proponent, but choices make life much More enjoyable. Whatever works best for You, is just what You should get

·
Registered
99 Posts
I Will never buy anything Turkish, and support their Murderous regime. I'll buy from The Philippines, tho', and won't pay much more, if anything at all.
Having owned several, and several more friends, all have had Very good luck with them. . to each His own, but I Don't/Won't Buy Turkish ANYTHING.
You probably don't know about USA/Philippines war? How can you support enemy of USA? :D
It was right decision not buy Turkish guns, because gun factory owner and all his workers definitely kill people every night after making guns. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
162 Posts
You probably don't know about USA/Philippines war? How can you support enemy of USA? :D
It was right decision not buy Turkish guns, because gun factory owner and all his workers definitely kill people every night after making guns. :ROFLMAO:
When Did the US go to war with the Philippines? during the insurrection, in Mindanao? right after the Spanish American War?About 1903.
That would make the Tribesman, not the Country at war with Us.
And They were a Protectorate from the Spanish-American War until after WWII, so I have no Idea what You mean, "... Enemy of the United States". Links? for this War You post about.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I am not as concerned with countries that once were not our friends. But, I feel much better knowing my gun goes back to Ruger in the USA for service, should it need it, than where ever they send a Turkish gun for corrective work.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts