Ruger Forum banner

How does your SR1911 Rate?

9K views 61 replies 34 participants last post by  oldag 
#1 ·
If you own both SR1911’s and other 1911’s, how do you rate your Ruger 1911’s against the others?

I have the Target Model. I’ve owned a few others and shot others at the range. I’ve handled numerous 1911’s at stores.

My experience is that it’s hard to beat at the price Ruger charges. Almost as good as the Springfield Range Officer, which tends to be $100-150 more. It’s the about same price as a Colt Government Model, but has way more bells and whistles. That prancing pony is worth $$ if you wanna sell a gun, but the Ruger is better.

I’ve tried a similarly priced Kimber at the range. It was tighter and had a better trigger than the Ruger. but according to its owner it did cost a bit more than my Ruger. He shot mine and liked it. $1,200+ Dan Wesson guns are nicer. Rock Island Armory makes good 1911’s for way cheaper, but I like my Ruger enough that it’s more than worth the price difference.

If there is a better 1911 for the same price, I’m all ears.

#43 ·
The only 1911 I own is a Dan Wesson PM7, but my buddy owns a standard ruger sr1911 and we’ve shot them side by side a couple times.
The Dan Wesson is definitely much tighter and has a much nicer trigger, and we both shoot it a bit more accurately (although the difference isn’t as big as you might expect!).
The other thing we noticed is that the ruger seems to show more wear in contact areas than the Dan Wesson, even though the DW has about 2500 rounds down the barrel, and the ruger only has about 500.
But honestly, I bet if we gave that Ruger a good trigger job, it would hold its own against my DW in terms of practical accuracy. Sure, the ruger has a much looser slide to frame fit, but that actually has a very minimal impact on accuracy (it’s more about the barrel to slide and barrel to frame fit). And that’s honestly one of the things I absolutely love about Ruger designs: they are based 100% on getting the best functionality possible for your money. Their revolvers, for instance, are built looser than their competitors; but that was an intentional design decision that resulted in an extremely reliable handgun, at a lower price, with 100% drop-in replacement parts, without sacrificing a thing in terms of accuracy. You can see that the same philosophy was applied to the design of their 1911’s!
My next 1911 purchase will almost certainly be a Ruger, and hopefully it’ll be the Night Watchman.

#44 ·
I strongly suspect that the phrase "couldn't hit the broadside of a barn" was coined after shooting a Marine Corps .45ACP. I know my first exposure to one was in the Marines + the ones we shot you could hear the barrels rattle inside the barrel bushings. Because of that experience, I've never been able to warm up to 1911s. My buddy bought a surplus one for under $100 (late 60s). He put the slide in a vice, chrome plated the barrel bushing, and installed micro sights on it + he could compete against the Gold Cups. He was also on the Marine Corps rifle + pistol teams in Quantico. Gotta admit, they make some gorgeous ones now. But for me, just can't reconcile the bucks.

#45 ·
Unfortunately The Marines always get the Hand-me-downs. My brother served with the 1st Marine Div. in VietNam, and just like you Hated the 1911.So when, much later in life He realized He might Want/need a handgun He , "wouldn't get a 1911 if given to Him", so He ended up with a .357 when i told Him it also fired .38 specials, like His "significant others Colt .38.
Also, found Him a Marlin, in .30-30 for $150. "just in case" a long gun was needed..
You could Try the Rock Island 1911's. They're worth the $400 or so, and Believe Me they shoot better than You would ever think.
Semper Fi' Devil Dog !

#46 ·
I’ve shot several Ruger 1911’s, and they were all nice pistols. I own three 1911’s myself- a Para Ordnance single stack commander, an older Sig stainless government size, and another Sig government sized Emperor Scorpion model, in FDE with a rail. They’re all great pistols, 100% reliable with zero malfunctions on all three, after several thousand rounds each. They’re all .45ACP, and the only work ever done on them was replacing the recoil springs every couple of thousand rounds. Oh, and I had the Para cerakoted a couple of years ago. Best thing I’ve ever done on any gun. It’s like getting a brand new gun, for an 1/8 of the price!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#48 ·
Nothing like a good 1911. For me, no other handgun has such a natural aim nor is such a smooth shooter.

Unfortunately, I have not had the chance to examine a Ruger 1911. I have read many favorable reports. The Remington I examined looked pretty solid.

Around the $800-$1800 range, Sig 1911's are the best value and they fall at the bottom of that price range. Very good fit and finish. Smooth shooting.
Kimber had some quality issues when they really ramped up production during the last panic. I have not seen as many complaints, so they probably got that lined out. Have not owned a Dan Wesson or Les Baer. Have listened to too many complaints about dealing with Les to buy his product, even though I have not heard of many issues with his pistols.

Then there are are the semi-customs. Having briefly owned Nighthawk and Ed Brown, I would personally not pay the high premium for them. Fit and finish did not match the price point. Sold both. Guncrafter is a different story. Absolutely the best fit and finish I have ever seen in a handgun. True craftsmanship. My most accurate 1911's.

Everybody should probably have one Colt, just for nostalgia's sake. My most beautiful 1911 is a Special Combat with the royal blue. But past that, I will not pay the premium just for the pony on the side.

#49 ·
Nothing like a good 1911. For me, no other handgun has such a natural aim nor is such a smooth shooter.

Unfortunately, I have not had the chance to examine a Ruger 1911. I have read many favorable reports. The Remington I examined looked pretty solid.

Around the $800-$1800 range, Sig 1911's are the best value and they fall at the bottom of that price range. Very good fit and finish. Smooth shooting.
Kimber had some quality issues when they really ramped up production during the last panic. I have not seen as many complaints, so they probably got that lined out. Have not owned a Dan Wesson or Les Baer. Have listened to too many complaints about dealing with Les to buy his product, even though I have not heard of many issues with his pistols.

Then there are are the semi-customs. Having briefly owned Nighthawk and Ed Brown, I would personally not pay the high premium for them. Fit and finish did not match the price point. Sold both. Guncrafter is a different story. Absolutely the best fit and finish I have ever seen in a handgun. True craftsmanship. My most accurate 1911's.

Everybody should probably have one Colt, just for nostalgia's sake. My most beautiful 1911 is a Special Combat with the royal blue. But past that, I will not pay the premium just for the pony on the side.
You sir, are talking my language! I have a deep and abiding need for the 1911. My problem is that I don’t have a deep and abiding bank account! I’m a member on another forum where I’ve observed pistols sold for several thousand dollars, and this is not a rare thing there. It happens everyday, and several times a day on weekends! Someday I may get there,-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#53 ·
I don't see anyone mention the Springfield line. My brother was a Marine years ago and he just purchased the Marine Loaded Operator addition.

Any love for their products?

I know nothing about the 1911 line, so it doesn't matter to me one way or another. I know holding that Marine model it fits my big hand pretty well.
SA guns are good in their price point, just like Ruger's and S&W's.
Wilson, Nighthawk, Ed Brown are all better than SA guns but cost way more.

Don't forget SA pissed off a lot of people a few years ago supporting laws in the toilet if the state they are located in.
Some people have long memories.

#58 ·
I have shot several Springfields and my wife has a range officer compact. They are fine 1911's and neck and neck with the Rugers as far as quality and price point. Where the Ruger takes off is that their "basic" 1911 has the same features as many manufacturer's upgraded versions. With Springfield and some other manufacturers;
if you want stainless you pay extra
skelotonized trigger and/or hammer, you pay extra
More than GI sights, you pay extra

My point is that Ruger's 1911's are not the cheapest, but they are also not "basic". You are getting an upgraded 1911 at a "basic" price. They are not the cheapest and far from the best, but they are a great value when you consider what you are getting for the price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.