Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to get a 1911 and do some competition shooting in IDPA and/or IPSC. I got to thinking about how much ammo would cost so I punched in "45. ACP ammo sales" in the search engine and it came up with several sites.

One site showed 20 rounds for $20, so about a buck a round. A little too expensive for me to shoot practice and competition. There was also site showing 50 rounds for anywhere from $12-$15.

I also know I can probably start reloading which would save me even more money, but for now I have to buy my ammo.

So, I was just wondering how good the $12 for a box of 50 ammo is? Anybody have any experience with inexpensive ammo? Is it OK to shoot and use for competition? I don't plan on shooting competition for anything else than fun, no dreams of being any kind of a champion, just want to do a little more than plinking at a paper target (at least the time and other competitors will add a little more to it). Also, can it be reloaded? IE should I keep the empty shells for reloading?

Thanks for the info.
Dan'o :}

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I like Blazer's aluminum ammo in .45 ACP (9mm and .357 Magnum too!)

I've never hard any problems with it, accuracy is fine and it burns clean in my experience. I generally get it in bulk from Natchez.

www.natchezss.com

·
Registered
239 Posts
Basically the 45 ACp is a accurate round as long as the gun was built properly some guns dont like Blazer Alum case ammo .. i find blazer brass is very dirty and hit or miss in accuracy .

·
Registered
842 Posts
Although it's gone up lately like all ammo, I've bought quite a bit of the green box Rem USA 230 FMJ on sale at Dicks in the last year. I hear others complain about it being dirty, misfires etc in other forums but it works very well for me in MY guns. Maybe I just bought some from the good batches:)
Baker

·
Banned
282 Posts
I believe if you buy any ammo from a major manufacturer, you'll do okay. Once you get up to the point where you are a threat to Rob Lathem or Jerry Michlek, you may want to re-evaluate.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree with the above posts that cheaper ammo is OK to shoot. However, I think that you should check with the folks running your IDPA and/or IPSC competitions before buying any of the cheaper ammo with the bi-metal jacket bullets. I've been told at one range that they didn't allow it. I think they said it was because the bi-metal is copper over steel, and they didn't want bullets containing steel being shot at their targets.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Cheap ammo is what it is. It is good for shooting informally and just plinking. Some of it will shoot very accurately in some guns. Of course, new manufactured ammo will be better than forty year old surplus ammo.
Bottom line is it is good to shoot for fun but if I were in a competition I would want the best ammo for my gun.

·
Banned
298 Posts
Blazer 45 has always served me well. Accurate as a 4-5 inch barreled auto can make it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I started reloading because of ammo price's about 2years ago. Now I find that I have cheaper ammo that is more accurate also. Save your brass, nickels and dimes and get into reloading.

·
Registered
10 Posts
100 round boxes of .45 Remington's are $39 at Cabela's and the lots I have shot have been very dirty. Monday went to the range and after 14 rounds it totally covered my guide rod laser to where it couldn't be seen. My local dealer has 50 round boxes of Winchester for $13, they seem cleaner and I am much more accurate with them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts