Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Ruger 10/22 and I am having an absolute devil of a time finding the correct height scope rings for this rifle. I haven’t owned a rimfire rifle in over 40 years. I am trying to mount a 3-9x40 scope that I used on an
AR-15 for years and I have tried low and medium height rings on the picatinny rail and when I plug in a bore sight and try to align the scope with the bore sight I have to increase the elevation on the scope to its maximum and it’s still not high enough. If anyone out there knows what height scope rings work best with this rifle given the optic I’m using please let me know. Many thanks for any replies.
The Pelican

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bore sighting is not the most accurate way to zero a scope. It's just for getting it on paper. What does the rifle do when you aim and shoot at the center of the target? Is the POI way low?
Frankly I haven’t taken it to the range. I don’t yet know where POI is but I tried to setup the scope using a bore sight. I thought using the bore sight was very accurate but from what you’ve said it isn’t as accurate as I thought. Thanks for the input. Attached is a picture of the setup.
Camera lens Reflex camera Camera accessory Camera Digital camera

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Wood Shotgun

·
Registered
589 Posts
I see nothing wrong with your set up ...just looking at the pics. To me getting the bore of the scope as close to the bore of the barrel will get you most accuracy...at the most different ranges. As long as the front "bell end" of scope isn't in contact with the barrel but is as close as possible you should be OK.

I've done a lot of experimenting with scopes on .22s and my 30.06 ... shooting the .22s out to 100yrds and the 30.06 out to 300yrds. Years ago, I had those "see-thru" raised mounts on my M-70 Winchester 30.06 but after a summer of testing I found the lower I got the scope to the barrel the better it shot at all distances and the less fiddling I had to do to get it there,

But these are just my experiences ... I'm sure there are guys here with a lot more rifle / scope expertise than me.

Here's one of my favorite range toys and it's a magical shooter ... we shoot it mainly on a 50 yrd range and as we say, "If you can see it ... you can hit it". It shoots dime size groups with most any ammo ... at that 50 yrds. I haven't tried this combo on the 100yrd range yet but I'm really looking forward to it.

This scope could be a little lower, but I already had these rings on hand when I got the gun ... so far so good.

Wood Air gun Trigger Shotgun Plant
Wood Air gun Bicycle part Trigger Shotgun

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I have honestly never shot a 10-22. I know there is a world of difference in my savage open sight model 6A, and shooting the .22lr conversion bolt in my AR. Oddly, at least to me its odd, (and sorry in advance for the longish post, hoping it helps) my Bushnell 1-8X24 was bore sighted and sighted in with 5.56 62gr per the instructions and is dialed in tight. the bdc works well. I trust it out as far as I shoot anymore, which would be 275 yards give or take. Put the conversion bolt in, load up cci minimag 40 grains, its about an inch high at 50 yards, (use one dot down on bdc) and dead on at 80-100 yards. which is the furthest I shoot .22lr. So.... the moral to all that is like someone else said, bore sight @ 15 yards (or as far as you can see the laser on the target) then put lead through it. Follow your scopes zero instructions and see where it lands

·
Banned
1 Posts
Your rings have to be high enough to provide clearance between the scope body and the barrel/pic rail. Ring height isn't going to affect your elevation woes. Make sure your rail is 0moa and is fastened properly with no bind. Pictures would help if you're able. Welcome The Pelican!
Your rings have to be high enough to provide clearance between the scope body and the barrel/pic rail. Ring height isn't going to affect your elevation woes. Make sure your rail is 0moa and is fastened properly with no bind. Pictures would help if you're able. Welcome The Pelican!
Thanks for your reply. Attached are a few pictures of the scope mount. Perhaps you can see something that I overlooked.

Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

I see nothing wrong with your set up ...just looking at the pics. To me getting the bore of the scope as close to the bore of the barrel will get you most accuracy...at the most different ranges. As long as the front "bell end" of scope isn't in contact with the barrel but is as close as possible you should be OK.

I've done a lot of experimenting with scopes on .22s and my 30.06 ... shooting the .22s out to 100yrds and the 30.06 out to 300yrds. Years ago, I had those "see-thru" raised mounts on my M-70 Winchester 30.06 but after a summer of testing I found the lower I got the scope to the barrel the better it shot at all distances and the less fiddling I had to do to get it there,

But these are just my experiences ... I'm sure there are guys here with a lot more rifle / scope expertise than me.

Here's one of my favorite range toys and it's a magical shooter ... we shoot it mainly on a 50 yrd range and as we say, "If you can see it ... you can hit it". It shoots dime size groups with most any ammo ... at that 50 yrds. I haven't tried this combo on the 100yrd range yet but I'm really looking forward to it.

This scope could be a little lower, but I already had these rings on hand when I got the gun ... so far so good.

View attachment 181602 View attachment 181603
She’s a beauty, good luck with her. Really nice wood stock.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I think I can see the taper in your rail. Check to see if it is not higher (thicker) in the front.
On a second look I'm seeing what kcsteve is seeing. Does the screw pattern on this mount allow it to be turned around 180? I'm not sure ... I know I have seen bases that will only match up with the factory holes in one way. But if the gun was tapped by a gunsmith, it might not be that that way.

Good luck with your project, I'm sure you'll get it worked out and it will make a good shooter.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think I can see the taper in your rail.
On a second look I'm seeing what kcsteve is seeing.
I think you fellows are seeing things.
Camera accessory Camera lens Cameras & optics Reflex camera Digital camera

I think maybe the issue is the idea that you can zero a scope with a bore site tool. Without knowing the EXACT height of the scope’s center axis above the bore axis, all you’re going to do is get the windage centered and hopefully the elevation adjusted to where you’re on paper at 50 yards.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That scope mounting looks fine to me. I'd be more interested in seeing the set up with the bore sighting tool in place. I think that's where the problem lies.
That being said if the gun was mine I would take it to the range and set a target up at 25 feet from your bench. Mark a bull's eye on paper or use a target with a bull's eye and fire a shot. Once you have fired that shot draw a bead on the bull's eye again and while holding the gun steady adjust the scope's cross hairs to where they meet the point of impact from your previous shot. Fire a second shot and make your fine adjustments from there.
This is easiest done in a solid steady rest or if you have a helper you can hold the gun rock steady and have your helper move the crosshair adjustments.
Once you are satisfied you are close enough move out to your 50 yard target and tweak the adjustments as needed.
Let that bore sighting tool gather dust on the shelf

I should note: When you are moving the crosshairs to intersect with the bullet's point of impact, ignore the right/left and up/down markings on the scope in your initial adjustments. Just move the crosshairs to the bullet hole.
Once you do this it will all make sense. I promise!

·
Registered
589 Posts
I think you fellows are seeing things.
View attachment 181630
I think maybe the issue is the idea that you can zero a scope with a bore site tool. Without knowing the EXACT height of the scope’s center axis above the bore axis, all you’re going to do is get the windage centered and hopefully the elevation adjusted to where you’re on paper at 50 yards.
Yeah ... I believe you're right ... 2D pics and camera angles can fool the eye.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Kudos BigPapa53 for that graphic. Midwest Industries doesn't show MOA options for its 1022 base but if the base is suspect, take it apart and measure it with a caliper to be sure, should be equal on both ends. If base and rings are installed correctly, not much left but the scope itself. Try another if you have a spare. Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts