Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now what? I have a copy of Iowegan’s Book of Knowledge. In using his book I was very careful to read it through several times before I would attempt to make any alterations to my gun.

When the gun was new it had a little hitch in the trigger pull in DA. The hitch was in the first part of the trigger pull about when the hammer moved only about ½ an inch. The gun works fine in SA. I polished the hammer dog per instructions, no filing, grinding, sanding or any other major removal of metal. The hitch got worse.

I then polished the top of the trigger, DA cam surface only. Just as with the hammer dog, no filing, grinding, sanding or any other major removal of metal. Now the trigger will move the hammer only about ½ inch and no more. The gun no longer functions in the DA mode. The gun functions fine in SA.
:(

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Well, one things for sure. YOU'VE RUINED IT!
Just box it up & send it to me. I'll put it to rest for you...........eventually! :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found this in the arcives May 2007, I believe I have a short hammer dog.

i have 2 gp100s 1 4 inch and 1 6 inch.
i bought them both used, with almost no wear and very little usage under a very close inspection when i purchased them. i followed the tips from iowegans ibok that he kindly sent me and the triggers smoothed up nicely. the one difference with my 4 inch was that it had a slight drag when shooting in double action.. i noticed this from day one, and yet my 6 inch gp100 had a trigger pull as smooth as butter. so i took them both apart and tried switching the hammers. loe and behold, the 4 inch was as smooth as butter. i looked with a magnifying glass, and the hammers looked exactly alike. i then decided to take off the hammer dogs for a comparison. and i found that the one that was originally in my 4 inch gp100 was apprx. 1/16 of an inch shorter. so i went to the hardware store this a.m. and bought a little piece of steel 1/8 thick. i then cut out a piece, got to work on my bench grinder and fabricated a duplicate hammer dog from my 6 inch gp100.. drilled a small hole, put it in my hammer, and wow!!! now both my gp100s have light "smooth as butter trigger pulls!! i actually amazed myself LOL.. i am by no means a gunsmith, but i cant believe i actually fixed my gun.. and then i took a flashlight looked down the bore and checked each cylinder alighment, and seems perfect.. the weird thing was, with my original hammer dog in my 4 inch gp100, as i would pull the trigger in double action, the trigger would drag sort of heavily, then the cylinder would actually stop so hard it made a clunk sound. now, its drag free smooth and stops nice and tight with no clunk.. cant wait to go and try shooting it tomorrow. after 2 or 3 trips to the pistol range and no problems i will probably feel very comfortable with it..

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,834 Posts
No doubt you have figured out the problem. Now all you have to do is make a new longer hammer dog.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Had the same problem on a SP101. There is a fine line on the hammer dog being too short or too long. Pretty easy to make a new one a little longer and if it is too long just take a little off at a time until it's just right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts