Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An area gun shop has a big sale coming up and they are advertising the LCP Custom for $239.95. I have a Taurus TCP and it has proved to be unreliable and I am looking for a replacement pocket gun. The regular LCP can be had for $204.99 so is the Custom worth the extra $35? Is the front sight like a trijicon or does it have to be charged in a light source. Is the trigger pull on the Custom the same as on the regular LCP? Does either model come with any kind of case? Any feed back is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I love my Custom. It replaced my LCR for pocket carry a few months ago and I couldn't be happier. I matched it to an Alabama Kydex front pocket holster and it is awesome.
I shot a regular LCP and did not like the shape of the trigger. The custom is a bit thicker and allows a bit more meat of my finger pad on the face of it. The sights are not night sights on the custom. They are just a bit taller and easier to see.
I'd go with the custom for the added $. It has not had 1 failure of any kind since I've had it. I'd say I have 500 Winchester white box round nose flat points down range.
I added the Talon grips and it added a bit of grip to the surface. Very nice in my opinion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How to help an older LCP

I have one of the generic LCP earlier versions and love it. The biggest problem it had was banging the top of the trigger finger on the inside of the trigger guard every time it fired. Was able to solve the problem by putting a 13 lb recoil spring in it. If Ruger has done nothing to lessen the sore finger problem on the standard version, then go for the upgraded version and hope they corrected the issue on it.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
We have both LCPs. The Custom is a nice version. The trigger is real nice and the sights are much clearer than the standard LCP. I personally would spend the few extra bucks for two options that improve shooting. :)

·
Registered
782 Posts
I think the Custom frame is the same size as the standard LCP. The Custom trigger is better, but... the reset is longer and less forgiving. It's a bit like the LCR in that regard. Also, the front sight is a snag-risk and it doesn't fit in all the holsters for the standard LCP because if it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Absolutely, spend the few more dollars for the Custom. I do not own the original LCP, although I have shot one. The Custom I purchased was exactly what I wanted - light and small for EDC, or as backup to my Walther PPS. It shoots extremely well and does not kick obnoxiously for a small gun.

Buy it!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I have the LCP Custom, I carry it often. I carry it with out a holster in the pocket by it's self. With the long trigger pull it works great. I have had no problems snagging the front sight. The Taurus is a terrible gun. Spend the extra and get the custom. You will not regret it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Lcp custom

Love this little guy!
With the Hogue grip & Pearce magazine extentions for about $20 makes this a pleasure to shoot!
Pearce extention is just enough longer than the ones that come with factory ones it allows my pinky to help rather than dangle.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
LCP Custom at the LGS is on sale this Thursday for $199.99. I was eyeing an LCR for the next purchase, but for that price I will have to give the LCP a very close look.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like I'll be taking a ride on Friday to check out the LCP Custom in person since ya'll give it a good report

·
Registered
782 Posts
Pretty much any round with the XTP bullet would be a good choice. This would include the original Hornady Custom, Precision One and Fiocchi. There are probably others.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I will find out tomorrow. Taking my new Ruger Custom LCP to the range. I ordered a holster for it, and am anxious to have a small pistol to carry around the farm. I carry a .45 when I leave. UPDATE: This pistol shot well with ball ammo, though as light as it is and the DAO trigger, it kicks like a mule. I cleaned it when I got home and loaded it with Speer 95 gr. hollow points. It had problems loading the hollow points. Anyone else have this problem? I have some Hydra Shok .380, I am going to try loading them today.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
I have a couple Gen 1's, a pair of Gen 2's, and a Custom. I wouldn't buy another Gen 1 or another Custom. The Galloway trigger in the Custom is good, but not so much better than the Gen 2 trigger to be worth anything extra to me, and the extra height sights on the Custom might seem like a good idea - definitely a pleasure at the range - but they're CONSTANTLY snagging for concealed carry. Absolutely the worst possible sights for a deep conceal pocket pistol, short of gluing fish-hooks all over the slide. The Gen 2 sights - with a little contrast paint added - are very functional, and don't snag, and the Gen 2 trigger is 90% as good as the more expensive Galloway upgrade included in the Custom.

Other than those complaints I have with the Custom, it's an LCP. You can count on it to be light, easily concealed, easily carried, reliable, and durable. But the Gen 2 standard LCP is the flagship in my book.

Maybe someone will come out with low profile, carry bevel sights with tritium lamps to fit the Custom's slide, THEN I'll swap out and carry my Custom every day. (Or maybe I'll just dovetail and refinish my Gen 2 to accept Novaks...)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Shot apx 100 rounds today, mostly Fiocchi 95gr with no problems from the 3 factory mags. Pro-mag on the other hand, failure to feed over & over. Going in the trash

1 - 17 of 17 Posts