Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im board and thought i would ask a few questions about the ruger 762. I bought one last december. I havent had a chance to go put some rounds threw it.

I know when i bought it they had problems with the earily models. I was just wondering how yours is holding up?

Also did they completely get rid of the issues with this rifle?

Whats the most reliable practice ammo?

what kind of optics are you guys running? i have a old nikon pro staff 3x9-40 that i had sitting on a 30-06 i only fired a few times. I know its not top of the line but its still almost new. so also want to put a red dot on the side. Anyone running both?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
My first SR762 was an early production (low S/N) model. Failed.

Returned and completely replaced. No problems at all to date. I have seen no confirmed problems above about S/N 08XXX.

Very happy with the rifle. I only use US made ammo. Typically Lake City surplus. Runs great. Running a PWS PRC brake and CMC trigger. Highly recommend both.

Also have a Nikon Pro Staff 3-9x40. Very good scope, but not surprising since Nikon knows glass.

Also thinking of adding an angle mount red dot. Need to confirm clearances.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Bought mine early this year. I only shoot my reloads through it, no factory ammo. 0 problems. I have a Redfield 3x9 QD mount on mine. Shoot as much through the factory sights as the scope. Easy on, easy off. The best ammo, and the cheapest, is what you load yourself:)

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Had mine a while and I couldn't be happier. No glass on it yet but, with the iron sights I'm good out to 150 (easy) and 200 (harder - old eyes)

I shoot target loads a friend of mine puts together that are a lot cheaper than the full factory loads from Winchester I'm saving those for when I really need them.

As mentioned above by oldag, if you have a low serial number check with Ruger they just might replace it. Worth checking before you even take it out.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
No personal experience with the SR762, but I guess in would be surprised if it turned out to be anything less than long lasting and reliable.

I'm also curious- when the SR762 first came out there were several endless rant threads about issues with them. Did a consensus ever develop on what, if anything, was wrong with the early production guns, or if Ruger did changed anything to fix the issues?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Ruger found the problem and fixed it. This is apparent due to the lack of complaints about rifles w/ S/N's higher than 08XXX.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Some other companies just use up their parts and final product inventory, even though they know problems may well occur. Guess they figure they might get lucky and most won't come back.

Best I can determine, Ruger scrapped the parts causing the problem and halted production until the problem was cured. Thus a pretty sharp cutoff after which the rifles are just fine. Also is why they were hard to find for a while.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine has been great

I've got about 1K rounds through mine and it's been excellent. I had some initial teething which turned out to be my fault with my reloads. They were *slightly* long on the headspace gauge. My FALs and bolt guns just ate the ammo, but with the SR762, the ammo must be resized absolutely within spec.

Once I got through that, it eats and ejects without fail. My reloads are simple 150gr with BLC-2 and NATO brass. I've shot a fair amount of XM80C with zero problems.

The gun is more accurate than I am. I can shoot 1 MOA if I take care, and I'm sure the gun shoots better than that, but 1 MOA is all I can muster with a 7x scope (or with any scope I suppose).

Using the Leupold VX-1 with the LR duplex reticle, I can hit 400m turkey silhouettes almost without fail. I haven't tried much at 500m yet.

I did put a Geissle SSA trigger in recently. It's much lighter than the stock trigger. The stock is the next thing that has to be changed. This one has too much wobble in it.

I would buy the gun again--no question. I never thought I would find a .308 I liked more than the FAL, but the SR 762 is it.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Got mine after the problems were worked out and the dust settled. So far I haven't had any problems I couldn't fix. The more I shoot it, the better it gets. I'd say it's a keeper.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bought early this year, retrofitted with TriDelta Muzzle Brake and have 3-9X50 Nikon BDC scope. Have run 2000 plus rnds through it, only one hiccup, early on, which may have been attributable to poor ammo. Now shooting federal 7.62X51 with reasonable accuracy, when using match grade, 1 MOA at 200 yds. Superb piece of equipment!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm glad the rifle is fixed, I'm looking for another 762 semi and will look at the Ruger again.

Thanks to all of you and your posts.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sr762

Very happy with this rifle, Put over 1500 round thru it, no hick ups at all. Run GMX 150g and Winchester SuperX 150g.

Done a few upgrades;

Ruger sr762/308

Ar536 scope (100-600 yards)

Fast fire 3 red dot mounted 45 degrees right side from 536 scope with iron sights. I use the front iron sight small hole with the red dot, the front iron sight is for back up in case the red dot goes out. Use it for 100 yards and under.

Laser max (green) mounted right front

Stream light TRL-1 (720 lumens) flash light mounted 45 degree to left

Mag Pul adjustable stock

Mag Pul vertical grip

Tripod (all machined aluminum)

Timney 3lb trigger kit

I really like this rifle and every body that shoots it too, it will hit the target spot on!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sr762

Disappointed in ruger for discontinuing the sr762
I guess my sr556 will probably be my last ruger purchase.
I know it won't affect them at all. Any one recommend
A 7.62 x 51 semi? Piston driven?

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
the piston AR is a solution in search of a problem. never had issues with any of the DI AR rifles I've used over the past 10 years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have several HK piston AR pattern rifles in .223 and .308. Yes, they are not cheap. Yes, HK hates you. Yes, you are paying a sum just to have that HK label on the receiver. And yet, I have put 1000's of rounds through them and not one single FTF, FTE etc. Not one. Mostly all cheap plinker ammo. No Russian stuff though. DI and Piston each have their merits and detriments. But the HK rifles have been 100% reliable for me. To each his own and get what makes you happy and not what the crowd likes.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Ruger told me that they were not discontinued, but merely out of production for a while.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Sales are slow. They are just out of production for a while until things pick up again. They can still be found if you look or have an LGS with good Distributers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts