Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so, believe it or not, this really isn't for the tavern or the minefield... thinking about my newest acquisition (my remington 870). i like the barrel i have for shooting trap and stuff, but i'm thinking (since i can't really afford several more shotguns just yet for my various purposes) that i'd like to buy a barrel off ebay or someplace, that is either a short barrel already created with home defense in mind OR buy a barrel off ebay etc. and literally saw it off. has anyone out there done either of those things? if sawing, do you literally just get a hacksaw and go to town? concerns? thoughts? i've read the barrel needs to be at least 18 inches long to comply with federal law, and different states and municipalities may have additional restrictions, but given that, what would you all do about getting an inexpensive barrel to swap out for HD, either "pre-shortened" or DYI?

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
arg0naut22, if it was me I would probably just buy the 18.5" defense barrel and stay away from the hacksaw. I saw one online from Cheaper Than Dirt for $110.90 and it has a front bead plus the end is blued/finished like the rest of the barrel. The hacksaw approach means filing down the cut end for an acceptable "crown" and then applying some kind of cold bluing product to the shiny bare steel. If someone gave you an old long barrel then why not. But to buy a long barrel just to cut it off....I'm not so sure.

Just my opinion...

Wave

P.S. I wouldn't cut a barrel with a hacksaw - I would try a HD pipe cutting tool. It's surprisingly difficult to get a good, clean, perpendicular cut on a piece of steel pipe with a hacksaw and a vise.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Personnaly, I wouldn't get a cut barrel, when some people see one they automatically wonder if it's the correct length and that could cause a hassel. I'd just buy a barrel it the length I needed. In my case it would be a 18" police barrel. I carried a 870 in my vehicle for years for more firepower and owned one as a personal weapon. I intend to eventually buy one again.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
If you can find a long barrel cheap enough you could take it to a gunsmith & they will cut it recrown and put new bead for not very much $

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Replace the barrel, they are easy to find.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys. that's exactly the kind of info i was looking for. great ideas!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts