Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years I accumulated numerous guns and collected on the basis of not rarity but modernity. I like when new companies come out with new stuff that interests me even though there is no real collector value it is what I like. So with that said I have a ton of revolvers and again have stayed new guns, and have yet to add any colt to my mix. Seeing the new python I decided I will finally get one one of these days but will not pay an $1100.00 premium over the $1499.00 MSRP to be the first to own. How long do you all think until production catches up with demand? Also I see this as big market equalizer for the way overpriced original guns. Those prices should drop as well with more product in circulation. I am waiting for the $1199.00 special. This is one of several overpriced adds online.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/853547326

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Patience is a virtue. I don't want to be a Beta tester. Nor do I want to pay jacked up prices just because every other guy wants it right now too.

I eventually may add a Wrangler to my single action collection. They are well priced now at say $200 give or take $20. But I'm frugal and will wait until I can nab one for $180 or less. I'm in no hurry. My Bearcat, SP101 and 10/22 all shoot fine so I'm in no rush to grab another 22.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I see a lot of houses on the market for months because they are priced too high.

However, the price for collector's items and out-of-production items is whatever the traffic will bear.

My example: I found a twin brother for my old model Vaquero Bisley 357 in 5.5" stainless.
Ruger only made 4700 of these over the entire life of the old model (pre-2005).

I found it on gunbroker, priced the same as a new Vaquero.
$$ mattered not, because they are scarce, so I ponied up the cash, jumped through a whole lot of hoops to find somebody to ship it to CA.

I notice it is on the market for "preorders".
This is how Apple stirs up the fanboys to pay ridiculous prices for their newest-greatest phone.
Nikon was doing the same with their new Z mirrorless cameras...
Fanboys get burned often because they are first in line for a new v1.0 product.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
I think it's more supply and demand ... for example I've seen Ruger Wranglers that have a MSRP of $199.99 being sold / starting bid on Gun Broker for prices north of $200 ... if someone is willing to pay it the high prices will be around for sometime ...

·
Registered
884 Posts
If New stock is being sold at above msrp it is not worth it to me. Hype has been added to the actual cost.I learned the hard way,during the 1990's i collected current production Lionel trains. Trains were preordered at "pre-order pricing" with 6 to 12 month wait for trains that were advertising as "soon to be rare" quantities before prices go up. There are still dealers sitting on nos inventory now selling for 1/2 of original pricing. I cannot buy anything just for the fact it may appreciate in value.

·
Registered
176 Posts
“Gouging” on a voluntary product you don’t need is simply pricing based on demand or perceived market, or what they can get for it. Kind of how our system works here. Gouging on gas during an emergency, gouging on medicines that large quantities of folks need to stay healthy is just wrong, and in some cases illegal.

·
Premium Member
13,777 Posts
Great thing about capitalism and free market economies. You don't have to buy it until the price you want to pay comes down. That being said everyone wants something for a 'steal' and many will wait until that 'steal' price never comes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
SUPPLY & DEMAND................... drives all prices. Colt is counting on the name making the sales . . . that may work for awhile but when the New one doesn't, in any way, measure up to the original - prices should drop some.

I saw a review on a new shotgun last week with good comments and a MSRP of $399............. Okay, I'll jump on one of those for about $300-$350......

NEVER HAPPEN ........... they are listing for $450-$550.......... I'll pass.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
The asking prices of the new Colt's may come down when more learn about the problems the new Python's and Cobra's are having, right out of the box.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,656 Posts
Wait a year. I plan to, although an LGS here had one for $1400. Guy on the S&W forum bought it.

I am more concerned with Colt fixing the issue with the cylinder failing to turn.

·
Dr. Frankenruger
11,749 Posts
Reminds me of when the SR1911 came out. Hard to find one and dealers were getting full MSRP or more. One big shop where I used to live was taking full price deposits to get on the list for one with no promise of when you might actually get it. So it's not just a new Python thing - happens all the time when something new and really exciting hits the market.

As for real gouging there are sound reasoned arguments as to why anti-gouging laws do more harm than good. John Stossel has reported on this and there are economists like Milton Friedman who back it up. It's not as plain as it seems. But that's a topic for another discussion.

·
Registered
890 Posts
This new Python will never have the quality workmanship as the original ones did. Price gouging will probably last a couple years, people always try to get rich quick.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
OP, you might want to hold on for more reasons than just cost. There is another thread in the forum outlining some issues with the new python so it is worth your while to wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
The price is a reflection of the taxes and regulations placed of firearm manufacturing by liberal state legislatures. Compare the prices of Rugers being manufactured in Az vs Connecticut. Colt is also a UAW Union work force which only adds to the overall price so I the gouging is done by government not so much by the manufacturer.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
It’s not price gouging. That’s when someone charges $2,000 for a $500 generator after a hurricane.

High prices for newly announced guns is supply and demand.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts