Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried to see how many rounds my Glock 17 will shoot before it must be cleaned, I gave up at 800 rounds. The action slowed down a bit but kept shooting.

This made me wonder just how many rounds a semi auto shotgun would fire before it needs stripped down and cleaned so it would keep cycling? This is sorta a EOTWAWKI question, but not without some desire to know. I have run 300 rounds through my Mossberg 930 Pro (9+1) semiAuto with out a hitch.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
I would think recoil operated autoloaders would need no more or less cleaning than a normal pump gun, but gas operated autoloaders on the other hand would need cleaning way more often. Buddy of mine once accidentally fired black powder loads through his gas gun and it didn't end well when the cleanup started.

·
Registered
342 Posts
depends on the quality of the ammo/gunpowder.
and too, the type of semi auto:
gas, long recoil, short recoil, or blowback.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,045 Posts
Until I run out of ammo......:)-
Affirmative,:D

On another note I have seen several gas operated shotguns that started acting up due to inproper maintenance, that was evident since they were brought to me to figure out why they jammed. The verdict, they were dirty, and had never been cleaned. It seems many are scared to take apart the guns they own, and resort to brake cleaner, wd40 and many other types of automotve chemicals to hose them down with, which worsens the issue. Me, I am far from that, I usually break down every gun I buy before I fire it, so I know everything is kosher. I wish I had an answer for a round count, but many many factors contribute to the answer, and different results. ;)

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I can't really answer your question, but, I have a winchester model 1400 in 20ga, I have had since I was 14 years old ( I am 66 now), When I was younger I used to shoot 250 rounds on saturdays and sundays every week. Sunday nights after 500 rounds I cleaned it. Now I don't shoot it as much and I clean it every time I shoot it I have no idea how many thousands of round have con through it but it is a bunch. I have had it checked and some minor repairs like new springs etc. every 10 years or so, but my gunsmith says there is no metal fatigue and the gun looks perfect to him. That is what I call great service out of what cost my dad a fortune (maybe 100 or so) in 1963 money. so keep it clean and tweaked and it will last you a lifetime. I intend to keep it and keep shooting it until I can't stand up and can't shoot it anymore, then it goes to my son.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
A pump gun, especially if you're talking about an older 870, will shoot until there is no ammo left...anywhere.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't really answer your question, but, I have a winchester model 1400 in 20ga, I have had since I was 14 years old ( I am 66 now), When I was younger I used to shoot 250 rounds on saturdays and sundays every week. Sunday nights after 500 rounds I cleaned it. Now I don't shoot it as much and I clean it every time I shoot it I have no idea how many thousands of round have con through it but it is a bunch. I have had it checked and some minor repairs like new springs etc. every 10 years or so, but my gunsmith says there is no metal fatigue and the gun looks perfect to him. That is what I call great service out of what cost my dad a fortune (maybe 100 or so) in 1963 money. so keep it clean and tweaked and it will last you a lifetime. I intend to keep it and keep shooting it until I can't stand up and can't shoot it anymore, then it goes to my son.
Thanks for that. Dad had a 1400 in 12 guage an my son has it now. It is due for springs and a deep cleaning in Dec. great firearm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts