Ruger Forum banner

How many cartridges do you take?

9K views 63 replies 59 participants last post by  Aqualung 
#1 ·
So I was watching a hunting show today and the guys are sitting in a ground blind looking for the “monster” buck. Eventually a deer comes into sight and the one gentleman shoulders his rig and on the but stock there’s one of those strap on shell-holders filled to the gills with fresh rounds. I heard other forum members here with the same set-up.

So my question is, how rounds do you take out in the field for a days hunt, (for deer)? I take 3, one in the chamber and two in my pocket.

#6 ·
I once shot 4 pigs and had to put a second round in one of them. 5 rounds spent and that was all I brought. Had to sit in the blind for 3 more hours watching deer come and go while I twiddled my thumbs.
I now carry a 12 round folding wallet plus what ever fits in the rifle.
Bullets aren't heavy so I won't make that mistake again.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I guess it depends on where and what the quarry is but for whitetail season fill the gun ussually three or four and a couple extra, but I do chuckle inside at my buddies who are outfitted with 2 or 3 speed loaders for the revolvers and 2 or 3 extra mags for the riffle and a few extra rounds in the pocket, I guess you never know when a wild stampede of everything dangerous may come for you. But then again thinking about the incident 10 years ago or so in Wisconsin with the guy who stalked and killed hunters from another group maybe some extra isn't such a bad idea, heck I don't know

#12 ·
I have an ammo wallet that holds 12 rounds for my rifle, that is what I leave the house with. In the last ten years I've probably only shot a half dozen times in the deer woods.

When chasing turkeys around I probably have a total of 6 or 7 rounds in my possession. I figure if I ever run out I'll know I've had a REALLY bad day and need to go home.

Edit: and like many others I do keep extras in the vehicle.

#13 ·
I used to just put three in the magazine figuring that was plenty to kill a deer. That worked great for years. One morning a 240lb 9pt buck stepped out at 150yds. My first .30-06 Federal Premium 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip dropped him on the spot. I ran the bolt and watched through the scope as the animal kicked dirt into the air before standing up. My second shot slammed the buck to the ground again. I'd seen how big he was, and didn't want to track him or risk losing him. Cycling the bolt ran my last round into the chamber. To my horror and amazement he stood up and began walking away like nothing was wrong. My third shot finally dropped the buck for good, but by now I was freaked out. I climbed down and ran to my truck for my .45acp 1911. I was convinced that buck was supernatural! That was in the mid-1990's and none of those old thin-jacket Ballistic Tips exited. They have since improved them, but I switched to hand-loaded 165gr Hot Cores and have been happy ever since. I still load three in the magazine, but usually have a couple in my pocket "just in case".

#14 ·
My leather shell carrier holds 20 rounds plus 5 in my rifle. My deer rifle is a Remington Model 7600 pump action .270 then also another magazine loaded with 4 rounds this makes a quick loading time if I need a second magazine. But most of the time I usually use 1 or 2 shots & my deer is down for good. Where I usually pack a canteen full of water. I feel that I am packing just about all the weight I want!

#15 ·
I don't hunt 'Game' animals like Deer, Antelope, Elk, Moose or Bear. I do hunt Varmints, Pests, Predators. Ground Squirrels, Porcupines, (Yes I carry an e-tool to bury him) if a Coyote is near livestock, I'll venture a round or two. I take pictures of Cats.
I fill my 22 Magnums magazine, carry a whole box.

#17 ·
Here in Ohio where in the past all we could use was shotgun slugs (they have since opened it up to straight wall rifle cartridges) i would put one in the chamber, two in the magazine (only allowed 3 max) and three in my pocket.

#18 ·
Four in the gun. Eight in a butt stock carrier and eight in my pack. My father was career 82nd Airborne and was a big believer of "always" having plenty of ammo even in the deer woods. You should have seen his preparations for the opening day of dove season. I guess he wore off on me.

#19 ·
It really doesn't make much difference, whether or not I'm taking a single shot rifle (Sharps 45-70 etc.) or whether I'm taking one of my bolt action rifles, I usually carry a box of 20 rounds in one of my pockets with easy access to additional rounds if so needed. However when using a single shot rifle I'll normally carry and extra round in my left hand for insurance if need an additional round on a wounded animal.

#21 ·
When I am hunting it depends on the gun I am using. If I am using my No. 1, which has a shell holder on the buttstock, I will have 1 in the chamber and 2-3 rounds in the shell holder. If it is a bolt action or semi auto, 1 in the chamber and a full magazine. If it is a lever action, 1 in the chamber and at least 3 rounds in the magazine.

#22 · (Edited)
I have hunted most of my life with single shot rifles , single shot shotguns and a double barrel shotgun. My Dad always taught me the value of making that first shot count .
If you didn't kill that squirrel or rabbit with the first shot....he didn't give you another round....you was just wasting ammo and not a proper hunter.
This carried over to adult hood. A double barrel shotgun was all I needed. A bolt or lever action rifle had one in the chamber and one in the magazine.
So why do I carry a box of 20 rifle rounds in my hunting coat ? I have no earthly idea..."Be Prepared" or in case my two friends forgot their ammo or if my scope got knocked out of whack...i had ammo to sight it in....I really don't know why but I always bring way more than I actually shoot at big game.

Wait....It just dawned on me....We take so much ammo with us because there aren't any laws that say we can't bring all the ammo we want to bring hunting....yeah, that's the ticket...we need our Mamma's to tell us ...son you don't really need a full box...leave half at home in case there's a shortage.
Gary

#25 ·
When I rifle hunt I carry a box of 20. With muzzleloader I'll have it loaded with around 8-10 reloads. With shotgun and saboted slugs a loaded gun and 10 additional. Duck hunting at least two boxes of 20 in my pack.

#26 ·
I havent gone hunting since i was a kid but ive thought about it. I would want to bring my lever and revolver, so thats 16 between the two, but i also have a cartridge loop belt that i would *want* to wear because where or when else could i? But i think i would feel mighty stupid having some 40 rounds on a deer or hog hunt anywhere in the eastern quarter of the country

Ohwell, ive got atleast anothet year to mull it over before i go on my first hunt as an adult

#27 ·
I have two 5 rnd mags for my Scout 308 that I take out on every trip + one in the chamber when ready to hunt. On my son's property there are occasional "coyotes" crossing or in the case of last year running a deer pass our stands so I would gladly "waste" a round on them.

Deacon Bob

#28 ·
I carry a 10 round shell carrier on my belt at 2 o'clock. I hunt with two Marlin® leverguns; a 30/30 for deer, and a 444 Marlin® for elk and bear. I load either gun with three rounds with seven remaining in the shell carrier. I also carry a 4" barrel, 5 shot, Taurus® TRACKER™ in 41 Remington® Magnum as my trail/defense gun with a 5 shot speedloader.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.