Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts
When I am hunting it depends on the gun I am using. If I am using my No. 1, which has a shell holder on the buttstock, I will have 1 in the chamber and 2-3 rounds in the shell holder. If it is a bolt action or semi auto, 1 in the chamber and a full magazine. If it is a lever action, 1 in the chamber and at least 3 rounds in the magazine.

I have hunted most of my life with single shot rifles , single shot shotguns and a double barrel shotgun. My Dad always taught me the value of making that first shot count .
If you didn't kill that squirrel or rabbit with the first shot....he didn't give you another round....you was just wasting ammo and not a proper hunter.
This carried over to adult hood. A double barrel shotgun was all I needed. A bolt or lever action rifle had one in the chamber and one in the magazine.
So why do I carry a box of 20 rifle rounds in my hunting coat ? I have no earthly idea..."Be Prepared" or in case my two friends forgot their ammo or if my scope got knocked out of whack...i had ammo to sight it in....I really don't know why but I always bring way more than I actually shoot at big game.

Wait....It just dawned on me....We take so much ammo with us because there aren't any laws that say we can't bring all the ammo we want to bring hunting....yeah, that's the ticket...we need our Mamma's to tell us ...son you don't really need a full box...leave half at home in case there's a shortage.
Gary

When I rifle hunt I carry a box of 20. With muzzleloader I'll have it loaded with around 8-10 reloads. With shotgun and saboted slugs a loaded gun and 10 additional. Duck hunting at least two boxes of 20 in my pack.

I havent gone hunting since i was a kid but ive thought about it. I would want to bring my lever and revolver, so thats 16 between the two, but i also have a cartridge loop belt that i would *want* to wear because where or when else could i? But i think i would feel mighty stupid having some 40 rounds on a deer or hog hunt anywhere in the eastern quarter of the country

Ohwell, ive got atleast anothet year to mull it over before i go on my first hunt as an adult

I have two 5 rnd mags for my Scout 308 that I take out on every trip + one in the chamber when ready to hunt. On my son's property there are occasional "coyotes" crossing or in the case of last year running a deer pass our stands so I would gladly "waste" a round on them.

Deacon Bob

I carry a 10 round shell carrier on my belt at 2 o'clock. I hunt with two Marlin® leverguns; a 30/30 for deer, and a 444 Marlin® for elk and bear. I load either gun with three rounds with seven remaining in the shell carrier. I also carry a 4" barrel, 5 shot, Taurus® TRACKER™ in 41 Remington® Magnum as my trail/defense gun with a 5 shot speedloader.

I take 4 in the magazine of my hunting rifle 1 in the chamber of my 1911 plus 2 magazines, and 2- 20 round and 4- 10 round magazines and a box of 50 .223 for my "other rifle" all with in reach. I hunt in the "Emerald Triangle" of California , so far so good. Last summers fires may have helped, I hope.

Deer hunting: four in the magazine, ten or so extra rounds in the backpack. I also carry some sort of sidearm, with two reloads.

You never know when you might need extra ammo for a survival situation. The backpack carries enough tools, food, and equipment to facilitate safely sleeping out in the woods for a night or two, if need be.

Depends on the rifle. Full mag, one in the pipe plus at least 10 in a holder. If it's a magazine rifle, 3 mags plus the 10 in the holder. Usually more, and spare rifle, in the truck. Then 14 in the Glock 21, plus 2, 13 round mags. It's been enough everytime so far!
Cheers,
jc

Much depends on the type and local. Just a day with a short hike in or a known location only requires what is in the weapon and a couple extras.
When out trekking in the big spaces for a week or more I may take twice that just because you may be on your own hook for a while.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.