Ruger Forum banner

61 - 80 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I carry an LCR exclusively due to the inherent safety and reliability of revolvers. I can't get past the fear of 1: accidental discharge, and 2: the necessity of activating safeties and/or slides in a panic situation. Yes, practice would help overcome these things but I don't have the opportunity to practice a lot. I envy those guys who feel completely at home with their semi-auto but it's just not me.
A semi with the same type of trigger as a revolver is no more likely to have a ND from a mistake. The problem with light switch triggers is the fact they are light switch triggers. Humans have a strange condition of screwing up, unless a person is perfect. Training will help, but there is a big difference from a 10 pound long trigger pull, and the pull of a Glock.

I have strict rules for myself when around guns, I am anal about it. Unless I am training or servicing a gun my hands stay off the gun. I do train almost everyday, but I still prefer to carry revolvers. When I am in the rare mood I might carry a semi. If I am going to a bad neighborhood, and that is not often, I will carry a my Star Super. The gun only cost me $130 20 years ago. It would be less painful then having a beloved revolver confiscated by police after a shooting.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
While my EDC has a been a Glock 36 in .45 acp for the past 4 years, I still have a 2.25" Ruger SP101 .357 magnum in the rotation...and while it's been regulated as an 'outdoor' gun, it does cruise around with me in a chest-holster when I ride bike!

I've been chased (seriously) 3 times and bitten once (1x) and that'll never happen again! Every dog that has 'chased' me (with the intent to attack / bite / cause harm)...none ever even barked...it was just their toe nails clicking on the asphalt that gave away their attack! Other dogs, that come out to just bark or race for fun...do just that...and make some noise in the process! Against larger dogs (and other 'threats') a good 158 grain JHP +P is sufficient to stop just about anything that could cause physical damage if an incident were to occur!

I grew up with revolvers and the SP101 is still just plain comfortable in my grip...so when I ride, a 'natural' feel is the way to go!

·
Registered
802 Posts
I carry my 4 5/8ths inch Blackhawk 45 LC with 300 grain gas checked bullets over 15.5 grs. of 2400. Seems a pretty good combo for what I might encounter around these parts, you know, Zombies and Globalists.... The subject of Grizzly bear usually comes up when people mention large caliber handgun carry, so if I were in bear country, I believe I'd be totin' my Marlin 45-70.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I only own and only carry revolvers. But to overcome the capacity disadvantage, I carry multiple revolvers. But let's be clear -- I enjoy carrying multiple revolvers.

Since I spend most of my time sitting (in a car, or at a desk) I can get by with twin ankle holsters, which I fill with matching SP101s. I add to that either a belly band or DeepConceal shoulder rig for another SP101. And for dessert, I have a NAA Pug in my pocket.

Again, I enjoy carrying my revolver collection -- analogous to wearing one's favorite jewelry. So it is a hobbiest thing as much as it is a tactical thing. Beyond my personal preferences, I can objectively say that it is perfectly easy to carry three or four beefy snubnoses. SP101s on your (or my, anyway) ankles are a literal snap (in Galco ankle gloves).

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Even thought I have a officer's sized 1911 in 9mm. My main carry gun that I carry 100% of the time is my Ruger LCRX .38 Special. It is a very light weight gun, I just prefer the reliability and simplicity of a revolver. The Ruger LCRX to me is the best of both in SA/DA usage. I wished that Ruger could develop a LCRX type of action in a Ruger SP101!!!

·
Righteous Dude
21,607 Posts
I carry what I feel like... Sometimes it's a revolver, other times it's a bottom feeder. I'm an equal opportunity carrier. :D

·
Registered
188 Posts
I guess carrying any gun is a challenge when wearing a dress. Might be easier to carry in a purse.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Airweight J-frame. Specifically an M&P 340 in a Blackhawk iwb holster. Light and powerful, and small enough to conceal easily - just about any pocket will do or very sleek behind the label on my Levi's. Full-house magnum's down to very light .38's. And, I've been a 1911 guy for most of my life . . .

·
Dog Soldier
1,781 Posts
I carry a Ruger Vaquero, 45 Colt, Blackhawk 44 magnum (usually with 44 specials), and at times a Smith/Wesson Model 437-2, 38+P J frame. I have a IWB and OWB holsters for each.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Back in the 70's I bought a 2 inch 38 for a CCW.
Since then I've owned and carried at least 100 different pistols and revolvers.
I kept coming back to that snubby.

I don't learn how to operate "new things" as well as I used to.
I'm comfortable with my old gun, and at this point it's probably smart just to stick with it.:D

BTW, semi autos are just a fad anyway.

Bill
Me too. I have a S&W model 36 from the 70s and a S&W 649 I think from the 80s. Some times when it is cooler out I will go with a SIG but mostly the 649. I want a hammer on a carry gun. I guess that I am an old Ludite.

Here in S.C. sweat is a big deal and I pocket carry to keep from having a sweat soaked gun and holster. Sometimes even that doesn't stop the sweat.

I notice my draw with the snubbie is smoother and faster also.

·
Super Moderator
21,241 Posts
I have to admit I'm starting to slide (pun intended) over to the dark side. Just bought a Beretta Pico for pocket carry while exercise walking and around the house. You forget it's there even in what we used to call gym shorts. I also have my eye on a Sig P320 in 40 or 45 in the Compact configuration. Figure night stand and IWB.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a Kimber 1911 I love and carry sometimes, but usually it's a S&W 25-5, GP100 .357 or GP100 .44 Special. I like a lot of guns, but my first love will always be a big bore revolver.

61 - 80 of 121 Posts