Ruger Forum banner

81 - 100 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Colt93 - If you want a smaller frame .357, you might check out Chiappa Rhino 200DS. I had a chance to fire one, and once you get past the looks of the thing, it's actually really manageable to shoot, moreso I felt than J-frames. Guy who owned it told me that nearly everyone he showed it to had a first reaction of "no way!" but came around once they fired it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm brand new and maybe posting this in the wrong place but, I generally have carried a full sized 1911 my whole adult life, concealed since 21 .A while back I wanted to carry my Blackhawk, but I didn't have a concealed holster for it so I made one, In the waist band. My brother has been carrying for a few days , I like the general design but would like to know from all of you if it is something other wheel gun guys would find useful. Thanks

·
Registered
229 Posts
All of my handguns are revolvers.

If I need serious firepower, I break out the 590A1.

If I need range, I break out the rifle.

·
Super Moderator
21,253 Posts
Went the fully monty over to the dark side. I carry a Sig P938 as EDC now and the Beretta Pico when I do my exercise walking. Also have my eye on a Sig P239 in 40 S&W but will need to do some trading first. My nightstand pistol is a Sig P250 in 45 ACP.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I only carry revolvers when I am not carrying semi-auto pistols.

·
Registered
540 Posts
About a year ago I asked the owner of a local gun store in Charlotte,NC what his top selling semi-auto's for conceal carry were and he said the S&W Shield and Ruger LCP. These carry 6-7 rounds. My point is that people often think every semi-auto has 15-17 rounds. 1911's carry 8. There are revolvers today that can carry 5, 6, 7, 8, 10 rounds. I currently carry a 7 round 686 and have never felt under prepared.
I love my revolvers for the range and home defense, but when it comes to cc I go with the shield 9mm because it's so light and easy to conceal. The extended mag holds 8 and one in the chamber gives it a capacity of 9. One less for the standard mag.

·
Banned
377 Posts
LCR all the way baby!!! It's as close to the "all purpose" firearm I have. Great for HD, great for CC, not ideal for a camping/hiking gun only on account of the short barrel, but it's usually my go-to. Every so often in the winter I'll carry my SR9, but even then the LCR is far better for pocket carry.

·
Army CW3
1,078 Posts
I have been carrying revolvers since 05/1971. Rossi®, Ruger®, S&W®, and Taurus®. I have owned several 380's, 9mm, & 45ACP's. EVERY SINGLE ONE, ALL of them, no matter the manufacturer, had numerous, FTE, FTF, Double Feed, Stovepipe, and Failure to go into battery. I had a Ruger® P95 9mm fail in a gunfight and a lowly Taurus Mdl 85SS2UL 38 Special saved my life. Ruger® revolvers OTOH are the bomb! I love my Security Six, GP 100, SP101, and Blackhawks.

I have two revolvers, 357 Magnum, and 38 Special BUG, on my person every waking moment of every day.

FOR ME, I will NEVER trust my life to any semi automatic firearm!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Carry gun

I carry the LCR .38. My SR9 is too big to conceal during summer. The LCR fits in pants pocket in a sticky holster. Better to carry a 5 shot than not carry carry at all.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I carry a small revolver only (at this time).

I think one should consider the +'s and -'s of each platform and make up his own mind.
Do not discount the effort required to clear an auto-jam (with one hand, because that is all you may have available).

Real life story:
My wife is auto-only.
- has arthritis and can barley operate the slide
- has malfunction(s) at the range
- cannot clear the jam
- calls ME to unjam the gun
- still - auto only for my wife

With plenty of time and the use of both hands, she cannot clear a jam.
To me, she should not carry autos.
Oh, she carries two, I suppose in case on fails...

·
Registered
178 Posts
The revolver is my choice for daily carry and I would not try to persuade anyone to carry or not to carry a revolver. Each individual has different reasons for the type of weapon they carry. A person has to be confident in which type of weapon they choose to carry. Training and practice is the key to performance in any situation – just ask any professional athlete. There are people that can perform well with both revolvers and semi autos – I was one of them 30 years ago. Now, old age has set in and I have to rely more on muscle memory for my actions and reactions – so I stick to one platform my revolver.

I have carried a revolver for almost 15 years. I have owned many semi autos and have tried them all for everyday carry and none of them can compare to my S&W 342PD J frame. It is lightweight, easy to conceal, and is what I shoot the best. I can carry it in an ankle holster, IWB, OWB, in my front pocket or jacket pocket. No matter how I am dressed – it goes with me. My main carry is OWB in a leather holster with a speed strip backup. I reload all of my pistol ammo – from .380 to 44mag and really enjoy the 38 special. I used to reload to shoot, but now I shoot to reload and I shoot a minimum of 50 rounds per week in my carry weapon.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I carry a small revolver only (at this time).

I think one should consider the +'s and -'s of each platform and make up his own mind.
Do not discount the effort required to clear an auto-jam (with one hand, because that is all you may have available).

Real life story:
My wife is auto-only.
- has arthritis and can barley operate the slide
- has malfunction(s) at the range
- cannot clear the jam
- calls ME to unjam the gun
- still - auto only for my wife

With plenty of time and the use of both hands, she cannot clear a jam.
To me, she should not carry autos.
Oh, she carries two, I suppose in case on fails...
My wife has fibromyalgia. She can and does shoot autos, but doesn't like them. She is most comfortable with a wheel gun. When she does decide to get a carry gun, it will most likely be an SP101 or an LCR.

·
Registered
90 Posts
>>My wife has fibromyalgia
In addition to arthritis, my wife has that also.
She is strong, but not enjoying various pains.

...Carries LCP and A big honking 9mm (she has 2, likes an Argentine gun).
She cannot clear jams apparently.
My guess if she gets a jam, the gun gets thrown and she goes for gun #2.
I never thought about it, I guess she has thought about the jam problem and carries 2.

Heck, I am not sure I know how to clear jams.
Took, me about 1 minute to clear a jam recently.

Aluminum cased ammo seems to cause occasional problems for our guns.

J.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I feel safer with my SP101 .357 than an auto. Fall, Winter and Spring it's in a jacket pocket. It also hides well in a belly band holster during t-shirt weather. If I'm traveling light or jogging the beach in my Speedo, I'll take my LCP.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The revolver is my choice for daily carry and I would not try to persuade anyone to carry or not to carry a revolver. Each individual has different reasons for the type of weapon they carry. A person has to be confident in which type of weapon they choose to carry. Training and practice is the key to performance in any situation — just ask any professional athlete. There are people that can perform well with both revolvers and semi autos — I was one of them 30 years ago. Now, old age has set in and I have to rely more on muscle memory for my actions and reactions — so I stick to one platform my revolver.

I have carried a revolver for almost 15 years. I have owned many semi autos and have tried them all for everyday carry and none of them can compare to my S&W 342PD J frame. It is lightweight, easy to conceal, and is what I shoot the best. I can carry it in an ankle holster, IWB, OWB, in my front pocket or jacket pocket. No matter how I am dressed — it goes with me. My main carry is OWB in a leather holster with a speed strip backup. I reload all of my pistol ammo — from .380 to 44mag and really enjoy the 38 special. I used to reload to shoot, but now I shoot to reload and I shoot a minimum of 50 rounds per week in my carry weapon.
This is really sounds like great logic to me. Find a gun that works for you. Get lots of holster options and practice a lot. When I was younger, I shot NRA National Match Course. The old timers would say "become friends with your gun". I was to learn they were correct. It's ok to have a lot of guns but you want a few that are your friends.

81 - 100 of 123 Posts