Ruger Forum banner

101 - 120 of 123 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Carried both semi-autos and revolvers for half a century. Only recommend revolvers now. Carry two Ruger Super GP100's in .357 magnum, OWB. Use 8 round full moon clips. 158gr Remington HTP357M2 ammo. Fight like you train. For me, I don't need to go back to the semi-auto days. I'm satisfied with the accuracy, reliability, durability, ammo options, and quality of Ruger's Super GP100's, as well as the earlier iterations of GP100's- over the properties only found in semi-autos.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
How many of you still only carry revolvers these days? I should probably make the move over to a hi-cap semi-auto in light of all the flash mobs, riots, mass "protests", increased racial tensions and the general lawlessness we're seeing out there today but I still feel comfortable with and fully trust my revolvers.

So far, I haven't had to fire a single shot in self defense so 5 or 6 shots (plus one or two reloads) has been more then I ever needed. Another question that I ponder is how much is enough? What if you're in a situation were 8, 10, 12 or 16 shots isn't good enough either? Where does it all end?

I say just carry what you like and what you know works. I don't think I would be around very long in my current situation anyhow if the apocalypse comes no matter what I was carrying.
You can over think this question. Being that in most encounters you might only face 1 opponent, maybe 2-3 at the most. The fact that you pull a weapon for defense already signals that their plan just went south and everyone heads away from the danger. Granted you might find yourself in the midst of a rioting calamity, but the need for lots of ammo is counter productive to retreating to safety. You simply don't need to kill ALL the protestors.

I carry SAA's often and on occasion carry my Colt M45A1 but have dropped the need to carry multiple magazines. However my gunbelt for the SAA's has many cartridge loops if there ever is a need to reload.

I say shoot what you can accurately hit a target with. Practice often enough so you can make each shot count. If you are good you can make 5-6 shots the difference in living and dying.
Some good responses posted here and most are very realistic in their perspective on various situations!
I've got several pistols that I really like, but my M-F EDC is an older (from 1990) nickel Taurus 85 in .38 special and it really likes Hornady's XTP JHP in 158 grain...shoots to POA every time!
On the weekends, I bump up to a Glock 36 in .45 acp with 2 mags backup...people ask me if I'm okay with just a 6+1 semi-auto and my reply is it's 'Hey, it's already up 2 from the work week!'
In armed conflict, if you get 4-5-6+ shots off before something negative occurs, you're lucky!
Most, but not all, will hesitate (at the minimum), back-down, or some will even flee at the sight of an armed, defensive-ready individual...
Also your presentation / posture, in preparing to respond however the threat presents itself as...can also go a long way towards stopping or thwarting an attack!
Biggest factor, keeping one's eyes open and seeing and identifying the potential for attack before it occurs...and use your brain (that's that grey thing between one's ears)
to assess and make decisions regarding your options, to re-position yourself, to egress the area, to seek shelter, etc. before anything negative occurs.
One's brain function should precede and still supercedes all else!

·
Registered
13 Posts
heh...really reaching for entertainment tonight...i really don't understand why anyone would be asking questions like, 'what do you carry' ...I grew up in CA and shot guns from the 60's on...carry was never an option for me until i moved to a free county (that's a shall-issue-sheriff) ... now i have 2 carry guns on my 'permit' (that's the way it's done in Draconia)..i used to have 4, buy i got sick of qualifying them all every two years...oh well...PX4 in 9 and LCR in 38...i use a 'fanny pack' ...but i don't stick it on my fanny ...full load and a reload with either...don't even consider 'how many bullits do i have' ...it only takes 1 shot to put one scumbag down...if it ever comes to that...eh?!?

·
Registered
47 Posts
In the winter I carry a LCR 38sp+p, and in the summer I carry a NAA sidewinder in 22 wmagnum. I don't like carrying heavy weighted fa's, it is not something I like. The LCR in a Desantis Nemesis (front) pocket holster, and the NAA in a small front pocket holster. I like revolvers for their simplicity of use. I have had a broken transfer bar in the LCR which makes the gun inoperable when it occurs, so a revolver is not without possible mechanical failures as some might think. Still it is my go to carry gun. Occasionally I trade out the LCR with a Kahr PM9 with night sights.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Second paragraph of the OP's entry says it all, never had to draw his weapon. That's not to say he never will, point is, you can "what if" yourself into never leaving the house. Live your life. The worst will probably never happen, just be ready when/if it does.

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
Some good responses posted here and most are very realistic in their perspective on various situations!
I've got several pistols that I really like, but my M-F EDC is an older (from 1990) nickel Taurus 85 in .38 special and it really likes Hornady's XTP JHP in 158 grain...shoots to POA every time!
On the weekends, I bump up to a Glock 36 in .45 acp with 2 mags backup...people ask me if I'm okay with just a 6+1 semi-auto and my reply is it's 'Hey, it's already up 2 from the work week!'
In armed conflict, if you get 4-5-6+ shots off before something negative occurs, you're lucky!
Most, but not all, will hesitate (at the minimum), back-down, or some will even flee at the sight of an armed, defensive-ready individual...
Also your presentation / posture, in preparing to respond however the threat presents itself as...can also go a long way towards stopping or thwarting an attack!
Biggest factor, keeping one's eyes open and seeing and identifying the potential for attack before it occurs...and use your brain (that's that grey thing between one's ears)
to assess and make decisions regarding your options, to re-position yourself, to egress the area, to seek shelter, etc. before anything negative occurs.
One's brain function should precede and still supercedes all else!
YEP!

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Nowadays, I only carry my two Ruger Super GP100's in .357 magnum. If silence is necessary, there are alternatives...

Good Luck,

OldPaladin1949

·
Registered
131 Posts
I like revolvers. Unless it was a 1911 in a war movie, or Magnum P.I., I never saw a semi in anything. My Grampa was a Chief of Police. He was my hero. He carried a .38.
Rockford carried a snubbie. Dirty Harry carried the iconic 29. Revolvers were awe inspiring to me when I was a kid, and are beautiful to me now.

Semi's can certainly be artistic, but so can Snap On tools. To me, they are functional, just like AR's. Or my Benelli Nova.

I went through an auto phase in my life, have owned a half a dozen or so different models/calibers, settled on Glock .40, and am comfortable with one. They are simple, reliable, and unattractive, nuff said. Mine also haven't left the house in years, except to run obligatory mags through them at the range.

I also live where I am probably more likely to be attacked by a black bear than a person. I have never felt like I was less than prepared when carrying a revolver. I guess if my world shifts, I may have to adapt, but until then, I am a revolver guy.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm in CA and do not CCW.
I don't own any pistols, only revolvers.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Fact is, you can "what if" yourself into never leaving the house. If a revolver's what you shoot best, that's what you carry. Unless your job takes you there, avoid places where trouble could foment. If it can't be avoided, retreat as quickly as possible. Just because you're armed doesn't mean you run toward the danger.

·
Super Moderator
21,253 Posts
Fact is, you can "what if" yourself into never leaving the house. If a revolver's what you shoot best, that's what you carry. Unless your job takes you there, avoid places where trouble could foment. If it can't be avoided, retreat as quickly as possible. Just because you're armed doesn't mean you run toward the danger.
Exactly. A carry piece to me is just an aid to get to another town and away from danger.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Concealed-ish in day, open after dark. GP100 in .357 Mag looks big to most people, Most often asked if it's a .44 Mag for some reason, when they ask.

·
Registered
125 Posts
After several attempts to get a semi my wife will carry I gave up....she will never replace her Charter Arms .32 mag revolver. Good news is she carries it and is darn good shooting with it. Bad news is , only a 5 shot cylinder and they do not make a speed loader for it so she has to carry a couple of loaded speed strips.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,633 Posts
I still carry my 38's. Will never change. I just trust my revolvers. I came to this forum years ago after my son passed to get to know my semi-autos and to learn his love for his Mark's. I have grown to love all my Ruger semi-autos but still carry my revolvers. I still rely on my semis for home and property defense but love revolvers to get me home.

101 - 120 of 123 Posts